Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's not just the pyjama wearers....GARDAI receive RENT ALLOWANCE

• 14-03-2012 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭

Just reading this report about benchmarking in 2007

Came across this little gem

"Allowances payable to public service grades fall into two broad categories. Some allowances are paid to all members of a grade/rank as part of their conditions of service. Examples of such payments are the rent allowance for members of the Garda Sıochana and prison officer grades, the
    military service allowance for members of the defence forces and a qualification allowance for teachers"

Can anyone clarify if Gardai and prison officers, already on handsome salaries and extra allowances for working non-sociable hours etc.........

Recieve Rent Allowance...WTF?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very old news. Read it here before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Very old news. Read it here before.

I'll try another search, do you know if it was done away with since?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

micropig wrote: »
    Just reading this report about benchmarking in 2007

Came across this little gem

"Allowances payable to public service grades fall into two broad categories. Some allowances are paid to all members of a grade/rank as part of their conditions of service. Examples of such payments are the rent allowance for members of the Garda Sıochana and prison officer grades, the
    military service allowance for members of the defence forces and a qualification allowance for teachers"

Can anyone clarify if Gardai and prison officers, already on handsome salaries and extra allowances for working non-sociable hours etc.........

With reference to Gardai, let them have it. They earn nowhere near enough for being spat and pissed on by the dregs of society. I wouldn't call their salary handsome for the work that is done. I have zero problem whatsoever with Gardai receiving extra allowances/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

Would that be because they can be shipped basically anywhere in the country and may have a "home" elsewhere to support financially?

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    With reference to Gardai, let them have it. They earn nowhere near enough for being spat and pissed on by the dregs of society. I wouldn't call their salary handsome for the work that is done. I have zero problem whatsoever with Gardai receiving extra allowances/.

I have no problem with them getting an allowance for working unsociable hours but rent is an expense everyone has?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've a few mates who are prison officers and assaults are par for the course with those lads too.

I don't begrudge those jobs their few quid.

Would that be because they can be shipped basically anywhere in the country and may have a "home" elsewhere to support financially?

The way it's phrased though suggests that everyone in the grade receives it regardless of whether they are living at home or not...surely it should be more selective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Got no problem with it, tough auld job

Yes Gardai have a good basic wage & allowances for a lot of other things on top of that, this allowance is about €4,100 / year

Maybe Brenda Howlin will do away with it, hopefully[/URL] Thursday, January 19, 2012

Allowances not made for guards and teachers in savings ideas

A call by Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin for submissions from the public on how the State could save money has yielded over 1,000 responses – along with a few unorthodox ideas.

As well as the public, many nurses, gardaí and teachers sent in ideas on how to tackle mismanagement and inefficiency across the public sector.

One garda commented that 20 per cent of the force did little or nothing and should not receive pay increments. Instead, they should be paid on the basis of performance.

Another suggested members of the force on motorbikes could be issued with scooter-type motorbikes in urban areas, similar to those used in the Spanish police force.

“They give the appearance of a larger motorbike when with all necessary police equipment, but have quite low maintenance costs,” the garda said.

One contributor suggested axing lucrative additional pay for gardaí, such as a Gaeltacht allowances, rent allowance, and boot and footwear allowances.

“There is no justification in paying a 7.5 per cent allowance to Gaeltacht-based gardaí. Do Polish/Chinese/German gardaí get paid extra? I don’t think so.”

Teachers and the education sector were also the subject of a large volume of submissions.

One contributor said the estimated 57,000 teachers at primary and secondary level should be charged for parking on school grounds.

“If each of them paid €60 a month over nine months, it would result in an income of just under €3.5 million per month,” the writer suggested.

The same person pointed out that they paid €60 a month for parking because they lived 20 miles from work and had no public transport.

Another said teachers should not be paid extra for correcting exam papers during the summer.

“It should be part of their working year. They are already overpaid and their holidays are far too long.”

In the field of security, one member of the public pointed out that the prison system was a very expensive solution for lesser crimes.

“Instead of locking up individuals for petty crime such as non-payment of TV licences, dress them in a green jumpsuit and give them hours of community service such as assisting in old people’s homes, sweeping streets, etc.”

The names of those who submitted cost-saving ideas have been blacked out by the Department of Public Expenditure to protect their identities.

A spokeswoman for Mr Howlin said all suggestions had been considered by relevant departments as part of its comprehensive spending review.

The Garda Representative Association has this to say on the bottom of the page outlining the 2010 budget cuts

"Government felt confident in making these cuts having used a willing media in what could be described as a hate campaign against public servants, their pay, conditions and pensions."

??:D...Is it trying to brain wash them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I say let them have their perks. They do a seriously tough job, one I'd wager most of those who critise them wouldn't have the guts to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Actually +1 on this. It's not an easy job alot of the time in fairness.

It's a pity though there's not enough money in the budget to keep all these stations running
    http://www.agsi.ie/members/members_news#nonpayment1. Ah well:(, Once they have their great salaries

The association has only now been informed by AC HRM of the following information relating to the closure of some Garda stations and the reduced opening hours of others.

Ten Dublin stations will operate during the day and close at night:
    1. Stepaside
    2. Cabinteely
    3. Kill O’Grange
    4. Sundrive Road
    5. Terenure
    6. Donnybrook
    7. Cabra
    8. Malahide
    9. Santry
    10. Howth

Two district HQ stations will amalgamate:

• Laytown with Ashbourne
    • Abbeyleix with Partlaoise

The following stations will CLOSE altogether:
    Dublin

• Dalkey
    • Harcourt Terrace
    • Rush
    • Whitehall

Sligo / Leitrim

• Bunanadden
    • Drumkeerin
    • Kiltyclogher

Clare:

• Carrigaholt

Galway
    • Corrandulla

Mayo

• Glenisland
    • Tourmakeady
    • Ballycroy
    • Mulrany

Donegal

• Culdaff
    • Doochary
    • Dunkineely

Roscommon

• Lough Glynn
    • Tarmonbarry
    • Cootehall

Limerick

• Shanagolden
    • Doon

Laois
    • Geashill

Cork North
    • Glenville

Cork West
    • Castletownsend
    • Ballygorteen
    • Knocknaree
    • Ballyfeard
    • Goleen
    • Inchigeala

Tipperary

• Ballinderry
    • Ballinure

Wexford

• Ballywilliam
    • Baldwinstown

Kerry

• Ballylongford
    • Moyvane
    • Clochán

Cavan/ Monaghan

• Clontibret
    • Tullyvin
    • Smithboro

&The garda presence at the Shell refinery project in Mayo has cost just over €14.5m in extra resources over the last six years.

9 Feb 2012

At least they know how to spend their money wisely

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Young guards only a few years on the force are earning peanuts at the moment. There's stories of lads kipping in their cars and at stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's a pity though there's not enough money in the budget to keep all these stations running
    . Ah well:(, Once they have their great salaries

Get over it no one cares that you seem to have a personal gripe with them. They work crap hours dealing with crap situations and deserve the allowances they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Prison officers work in extremely tough enviroments and so do a lot of gaurds but I would be more happy with my tax funding a revised gaurda service. Theres a lot of improvements to make before I would consider them professional as a whole. Ill add that I am very impressed with some of the young recruits and In my opinion it shouldnt be them that recieve the bulk of the cuts.

hondasam wrote: »
    Get over it no one cares that you seem to have a personal gripe with them. They work crap hours dealing with crap situations and deserve the allowances they get.

Yes, it's great they can also pay their staff's taxes for them

GARDA bosses have been forced to raid their annual budget to pay €12.4m to the Revenue Commissioners, after a series of allowances to gardai were wrongly left untaxed.

Our streets are so safe, I apologise. They didn't have to introduce legislation to allow people to defend themselves in their own home, because the Gardai are so effective:rolleyes:

They get a lot of other allowances apart from this one, which I have no problem with.

hondasam wrote: »

I dont get this loads of people can have a problem with the gaurds without being in trouble with them before. Saying that I dont have a problem with the allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Prison officers work in extremely tough enviroments and so do a lot of gaurds but I would be more happy with my tax funding a revised gaurda service. Theres a lot of improvements to make before I would consider them professional as a whole. Ill add that I am very impressed with some of the young recruits and In my opinion it shouldnt be them that recieve the bulk of the cuts.

This.

Or maybe not. Have the guards in Limerick started doing work yet?

That's the key, a revised garda service, I'm not sure this is what we are getting though. Gardai have a tough job, but if they should be moving towards community policing, living where they work, getting to know the local community etc, by shutting down all the smaller stations , they are doing the opposite of this and crime will get worse because some areas will never see a garda....

It's time all these types of allowances are examined/cut altogether. The justice budget has been cut and spending needs to be reigned in. At present the gardai only benefit from these allowances, re-direct the savings made to equipment/stations etc

I dont get this loads of people can have a problem with the gaurds without being in trouble with them before. Saying that I dont have a problem with the allowance.

I have never been in trouble with the gardai and have helped them many times.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    This.

Or maybe not. Have the guards in Limerick started doing work yet?

The old gardai maybe who got their jobs based on nepotisim are far less professional than the new recruits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

If its such a great job Micropig then join it. Better still, join the prison service and have a go a working on a landing in the Joy or Pats, I,m sure you might get that chip off your shoulder.

dubdamo wrote: »
    If its such a great job Micropig then join it. Better still, join the prison service and have a go a working on a landing in the Joy or Pats, I,m sure you might get that chip off your shoulder.

Well Garda, your detective skills must be too sharp tonight, or are you not being paid for overtime;) Here's a link to a post a few above yours, where I state it is a tough job

That's the key, a revised garda service, I'm not sure this is what we are getting though. Gardai have a tough job, but if they should be moving towards community policing, living where they work, getting to know the local community etc, by shutting down all the smaller stations , they are doing the opposite of this and crime will get worse because some areas will never see a garda....

The service should be completely revised. The nepotisim needs to go, the force needs to investigate child abuse claims (Im surprised I need to say this In a first world country), the attitude towards assaulting people needs to change. The new recruits seem to have very different attitudes to some of the older lot.

As with myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Our streets are so safe, I apologise. They didn't have to introduce legislation to allow people to defend themselves in their own home, because the Gardai are so effective:rolleyes:

Exactly what point are you trying to make here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Young guards only a few years on the force are earning peanuts at the moment. There's stories of lads kipping in their cars and at stations.

That's probably more to do with the 8 hour break between shifts.

GARDA bosses have been forced to raid their annual budget to pay €12.4m to the Revenue Commissioners, after a series of allowances to gardai were wrongly left untaxed.

They get a lot of other allowances apart from this one, which I have no problem with.

The government didn't have to introduce legislation to allow people to protect themselves. The defense was already there under common law and they just put it on a statutory footing.

Most Gardaí only get rent uniform and unsocial hours allowances. These are further broken down into seperate allowances (uniform is seperated into clothing and boot, unsocial hours is broken into night/saturday/sunday).

And I'll gladly give up my rent allowance when I am allowed work near my home and my family.

The service should be completely revised. The nepotisim needs to go, the force needs to investigate child abuse claims (Im surprised I need to say this In a first world country), the attitude towards assaulting people needs to change. The new recruits seem to have very different attitudes to some of the older lot.

I have no doubt the new recruits, will make fine members of AGS, (maybe a bit less heavy handed and more people skills)

What use is it though, if they are all stationed in large stations, away from whats "going on, on the ground", many rural areas, where a fair bit of crime will be left un - policed. Many of the older police stations had residences attached for the garda to reside in.

Fear among rural dwellers re being robbed etc is increasing and it is a comfort to people to know that a garda is close at hand and knows them well. Also garda get to know local "ner do wells" etcs. Develop relationships etc. Not all stationed above in the big town, or where ever.

Exactly what point are you trying to make here?

take from it what you will

I have no issue with unsociable hours & uniform allowances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Jessica Fletcher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I always was under the impression that the guards couldn't necessarily serve in their own home area/locality. Maybe because they'd be more likely to let off their neighbours/friends or the like.

So the rent allowance ( note rent allowance, not mortgage allowance ) would seem fair enough.
    In fact I sometimes feel a pang of guilt for earning more in I.T. then frontline guards/nurses/prison officers probably do.

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Jessica Fletcher?

Would you like to ride with Batman?:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

What do you want, a Garda to move into every house ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I always was under the impression that the guards couldn't necessarily serve in their own home area/locality. Maybe because they'd be more likely to let off their neighbours/friends or the like.
    Guards do serve in areas for decades, and do indeed take some stick when they send the neighbour's son down.

However they are very well compensated, and have very nice pension entitlements. Yes guards just starting off earn a relatively small amount but so does everyone starting off. That's life. There's plenty of guards have retired very wealthy, its actually a condition of service that they have to keep their bank balance in good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I know a few lads in the Gardai and from what I heard the shift allowance for working nights is around 10% compared to private companies who pay upto 30%,Now as for the Gardai sleeping in their cars due to finishing work at 2200 and back in for 0600 that's illegal the min rest for workers(apart from bus&truck drivers) is 11 hours consecutive rest.
    I was only talking about this the other day with a mate and informed them that Gardai mgmt are breaking the H&S act 2005 by not rostering the staff to have suffient rest,So you could have a member of the traffic corp checking that a truck/bus driver has had suffient rest by sleeping in a bed yet the Gardai slept in their car only in Ireland eh:eek:.

So the rent allowance ( note rent allowance, not mortgage allowance ) would seem fair enough.

They may not be able to serve in their home town, but when they are stationed, they should be there for a few years and move there. Many people move to get work, such is life. I understand you can't just uproot families, so people with children should be stationed in an area for lenghtly period (not to disrupt the children).

*Rent allowance, according to the Irish times Saturday, May 28, 2011 Maybe things have changed?

The most expensive single category is the rent allowance, which cost the exchequer €58.9 million in 2008. Each officer up to and including the chief superintendent receives the pensionable €4,017.55 a year payment. Night duty and Sunday allowances are also pensionable.

Gardaí receive allowances for being rostered at night or on a Saturday and for being “non-rostered” at these times

Another non-nonsensical allowance, fair enough for being rostered but an allowance for not being rostered :confused:

@Mr Jinx, definitely not, but increased visibility/interaction in communities, especially rural

I know a few lads in the Gardai and from what I heard the shift allowance for working nights is around 10% compared to private companies who pay upto 30%,Now as for the Gardai sleeping in their cars due to finishing work at 2200 and back in for 0600 that's illegal the min rest for workers(apart from bus&truck drivers) is 11 hours consecutive rest.
    I was only talking about this the other day with a mate and informed them that Gardai mgmt are breaking the H&S act 2005 by not rostering the staff to have suffient rest,So you could have a member of the traffic corp checking that a truck/bus driver has had suffient rest by sleeping in a bed yet the Gardai slept in their car only in Ireland eh:eek:.

Why are they sleeping in their cars, should they not be renting a house with this rent allowance they are receiving?

• Advertisement

Why are they sleeping in their cars, should they not be renting a house with this rent allowance they are receiving?

If you read my post you would see that the Gardai are only getting 8hrs rest in between rosters so your finished work at 2200 and back in at 0600, That is 8 hrs rest the min is 11hrs as I stated apart from truck&bus drivers who can have a reduced rest period of 9hrs.

If you read my post you would see that the Gardai are only getting 8hrs rest in between rosters so your finished work at 2200 and back in at 0600, That is 8 hrs rest the min is 11hrs as I stated apart from truck&bus drivers who can have a reduced rest period of 9hrs.

Yes but they receive an allowance to rent a house nearby...If they used the allowance for the purpose it was intended, they would have a residence nearby the station and could sleep in a bed.

Link to pilot AGS Roster for core unitsfor 2012/2013, can you point out where they finish @2200 and return @0600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Yes but they receive an allowance to rent a house nearby...If they used the allowance for the purpose it was intended, they would have a residence nearby the station and could sleep in a bed.

Link to pilot AGS Roster for core unitsfor 2012/2013, can you point out where they finish @2200 and return @0600

Can you spell out exactly what your problem with the guards is?

Do you think they are paid too much? What do you think is an appropriate salary for a gaurd?

If you read the document properly you would see that this roster does not come into effect until 30th April 2012.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Can you spell out exactly what your problem with the guards is?

Do you think they are paid too much? What do you think is an appropriate salary for a gaurd?

My problem is not exactly with the gardai, it is more to do with how the justice budget is being spent. Stations are being closed down all over the place and it is necessary to examine, where exactly the budget is going.

- Garda Síochána (€1.503 billion in 2011) - Accounts for over 64% of gross current expenditure in the Justice Sector. Apart from the salaries and allowances of serving Gardaí and civilian employees, 8,000 Garda pensioners are also paid from the Vote: in all, 90% of expenditure in the Garda Vote relates to pay and pensions.

In addition, provision is made for ICT and communications equipment which are an essential part of modern policing, as well as day to day costs of running the organisation, conducting investigations, maintenance of premises and payment of compensation under the Garda Acts and in respect of civil cases taken against An Garda Síochána

• Advertisement

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    If you read the document properly you would see that this roster does not come into effect until 30th April 2012.

I only noticed that after I posted...Do you have a link to the current one?

I don't know anyone in mgmt wether it be the private sector or public would publish a roster that contravenes the WTD as they would be leaving them selves out for a hanging,But yes the Gardai who I know often have 8hrs rest in between shifts.

I only noticed that after I posted...Do you have a link to the current one?

Dont have a link, but there are quick change overs from 10pm to 6am.....trust me, many's a sleepless night.

Dont have a link, but there are quick change overs from 10pm to 6am.....trust me, many's a sleepless night.

fair enough, I won't argue with that, but if that link is a provisional roster, will things change in April for them, legal requirement is 11 hours??

They can't complain about sleeping in cars, when they are receiving an allowance to rent a house nearby.......they can't have it both ways;)

fair enough, I won't argue with that, but if that link is a provisional roster, will things change in April for them, legal requirement is 11 hours??

They can't complain about sleeping in cars, when they are receiving an allowance to rent a house nearby.......they can't have it both ways;)

As you can see from that link there are no changeovers and there is 11 hours or more between shifts as per european working laws.

As for the rent allowance it was introduced many moons ago when lads were sent to the border and all corners of the country. In recent years it has just become part of lads wages. It should have been imalgamated into normal wages years ago but as usual things were just left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

My problem is not exactly with the gardai, it is more to do with how the justice budget is being spent. Stations are being closed down all over the place and it is necessary to examine, where exactly the budget is going.

- Garda Síochána (€1.503 billion in 2011) - Accounts for over 64% of gross current expenditure in the Justice Sector. Apart from the salaries and allowances of serving Gardaí and civilian employees, 8,000 Garda pensioners are also paid from the Vote: in all, 90% of expenditure in the Garda Vote relates to pay and pensions.

In addition, provision is made for ICT and communications equipment which are an essential part of modern policing, as well as day to day costs of running the organisation, conducting investigations, maintenance of premises and payment of compensation under the Garda Acts and in respect of civil cases taken against An Garda Síochána

No you started a thread on Garda pay/allowances not on the justice budget. Your thread title compared the guards with pyjama girls, a stretch to now switch tack and suggest it is the justice budget you were riled up about.

How should the justice budget be spent differently then?

I feel that on the whole we have a fantastic police service, it has faults but I dont feel they are in any way overpaid for what they do.

I was told that the Garda cannot pick the station that they work in and that they could be transferred to other stations at short notice. That was why they were given rent allowance. You could be in Killarney one night and sent to Dingle the next. On the border where I live we had many Gardai over the time of the troubles. They came from everywhere at short notice following some atrocity. A friend of mine kept some of them in her B&B from time to time. One thing I know for sure is that they earned their few bob and rent allowance then. I wouldn't swap with them. The wages are poor too I reckon for the crap they take.

No you started a thread on Garda pay/allowances not on the justice budget. Your thread title compared the guards with pyjama girls, a stretch to now switch tack and suggest it is the justice budget you were riled up about.

I feel that on the whole we have a fantastic police service, it has faults but I dont feel they are in any way overpaid for what they do.

I agree with the pay I dont agree their a fantastic service I know several people directly and indirectly who were very much let down by them. I wouldnt reduce the wages though as there is many excellent new recruits and it wouldnt be fair to punish them.

As you can see from that link there are no changeovers and there is 11 hours or more between shifts as per european working laws.

As for the rent allowance it was introduced many moons ago when lads were sent to the border and all corners of the country. In recent years it has just become part of lads wages. It should have been imalgamated into normal wages years ago but as usual things were just left.

It's still an extra allowance and just because it's been there historically doesn't mean it's part of their wages

How about when you heard about all the stations closing the cuts in man power, firearms, training etc? They are both coming out of the same budget. I'd rather see the money spent on keeping these small stations open.

I was told that the Garda cannot pick the station that they work in and that they could be transferred to other stations at short notice. That was why they were given rent allowance. You could be in Killarney one night and sent to Dingle the next. On the border where I live we had many Gardai over the time of the troubles. They came from everywhere at short notice following some atrocity. A friend of mine kept some of them in her B&B from time to time. One thing I know for sure is that they earned their few bob and rent allowance then. I wouldn't swap with them. The wages are poor too I reckon for the crap they take.

Border troubles are over

should be stationed in places for longer/within reasonable travelling distance

It's still an extra allowance and just because it's been there historically doesn't mean it's part of their wages

How about when you heard about all the stations closing the cuts in man power, firearms, training etc? They are both coming out of the same budget. I'd rather see the money spent on keeping these small stations open.

Border troubles are over

should be stationed in places for longer/within reasonable travelling distance

How quickly we forget and turn Turk. My father used to say " you never miss the water 'till the well runs dry ".

• Advertisement
Advertisement