Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's not just the pyjama wearers....GARDAI receive RENT ALLOWANCE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

micropig wrote: »
    It's still an extra allowance and just because it's been there historically doesn't mean it's part of their wages

How about when you heard about all the stations closing the cuts in man power, firearms, training etc? They are both coming out of the same budget. I'd rather see the money spent on keeping these small stations open.

Border troubles are over

should be stationed in places for longer/within reasonable travelling distance

That was my point, it should have been scrapped and imalgamated into wages and taxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It's still an extra allowance and just because it's been there historically doesn't mean it's part of their wages

I doubt that the Labour Relations commision would agree with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

What is the €2.93 per week boot allowance for is it for wearing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

How quickly we forget and turn Turk. My father used to say " you never miss the water 'till the well runs dry ".

:confused::confused:Please explain

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    That was my point, it should have been scrapped and imalgamated into wages and taxed.

Maybe, but it wasn't and they have been getting it for years, tax-free?

Labour relations commission, what's their stance on this, any links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Crime scene examiners are paid €2,946.90 per year. This payment is intended to compensate for the loss of unsocial hours allowances because crime scenes have to be examined in daylight.
    Absolutely rediculous.

What about the allowance for not being rostered?, What's that about, anyone?

Daylight = unsociable hours???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I've a few mates who are prison officers and assaults are par for the course with those lads too.

I don't begrudge those jobs their few quid.

Either does the OP by the looks of it, for he only mentioned the Gardai in his title.

We should be begrudging those who are attacking the Gardai and getting rent allowance, as well as legal aid and the other costs involved with their arrest and detainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I assume the government are happy to work with all these allowances as they don't have to factor them into a guard's pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    With reference to Gardai, let them have it. They earn nowhere near enough for being spat and pissed on by the dregs of society. I wouldn't call their salary handsome for the work that is done. I have zero problem whatsoever with Gardai receiving extra allowances/.

95% of the guards ive ever met are ignorant lazy bastards

5% are decent folk

• Advertisement

Welfare officer gets € 7,403.35 extra plus boots plus all other allowances not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

luckyfrank wrote: »
    95% of the guards ive ever met are ignorant lazy bastards

5% are decent folk

Guards are recruited from a cross section of the general public, there fore by your logic 95% of the public they deal with are ignorant lazy bastards and 5% are decent........ emm wonder which one you fit into.

Either does the OP by the looks of it, for he only mentioned the Gardai in his title.

We should be begrudging those who are attacking the Gardai and getting rent allowance, as well as legal aid and the other costs involved with their arrest and detainment.

You know you can start a thread yourself about that if you want:rolleyes:

This allowance should be paid more selectively. Some one on €35,000+ does not need an extra allowance for rent as standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I only noticed that after I posted...Do you have a link to the current one?

why do you want a link to it?
    Two change overs, finish at 6am and back 2pm same day, finish at 10pm and back at 6am, this is the country roster not the city roster which has one change over. The new roster is 10hr shifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ill have to qaulify my opinion by saying I do think the majority are very decent men (I wouldnt cast doubts on other peoples decency). I just think theres a problem with the framework in which they do their job. It lets the wrong people in and Im sure the decent gaurds are p1ssed off at that aswell.

What about the allowance for not being rostered?, What's that about, anyone?

Daylight = unsociable hours???

They should start recruiting again in around four yrs apply and you will get all the answers to your questions. You will of course say no to all the allowances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I know a few lads in the Gardai and from what I heard the shift allowance for working nights is around 10% compared to private companies who pay upto 30%,Now as for the Gardai sleeping in their cars due to finishing work at 2200 and back in for 0600 that's illegal the min rest for workers(apart from bus&truck drivers) is 11 hours consecutive rest.

Not sure about AGS and rest periods but member's of the defence forces only entitlement to rest is four hours between shifts, but this rarely happen's unless absolutely essential.. However when at sea member's of the naval service operate a four hour shift.

I've little doubt the same can be applied to members of AGS if the situation required.

hondasam wrote: »
    why do you want a link to it?
    Two change overs, finish at 6am and back 2pm same day, finish at 10pm and back at 6am, this is the country roster not the city roster which has one change over. The new roster is 10hr shifts.

Link to back up claim, try to establish facts. Anyway this thread is not about their shift patterns, sure they're all renting houses close to the station.

The main points of the new roster are:
    Tours of duty are standardised at 10 hours with the exception of Sundays which remain at 8 hours.
    There are constant six (6) days on duty, four (4) days off over the ten (10) weeks.
    There are 148 rest days, including mandatory rest days per annum.
    There is no loss of allowances and consequentially this will have no implications for pay and pension purposes
    The 14 days’ notice to change tours is now being extended countrywide and the existing regulations governing cancellation of rest days remain in place
    Allowances will continue to be paid on a four-weekly basis
    Alternating rest Sundays will extend some rest periods from four (4) to five (5) days on alternating rosters.
    Working in blocks of earlies, lates and nights gives more certainty and provides a better work life balance
    The new roster complies with the European Working Time Directive (EWTD)
    The roster meets the requirement under the Croke Park Agreement of maximising resources at times of maximum demand.
    They should start recruiting again in around four yrs apply and you will get all the answers to your questions. You will of course say no to all the allowances.

As a taxpayer am I not allowed to question where the money is being spent? I don't want to be a Garda, if I wanted to be one, I would have went and been one.

Link to back up claim, try to establish facts. Anyway this thread is not about their shift patterns, sure they're all renting houses close to the station.

It's not a claim it's a fact. I'm sure some of them do rent close to the station.

As a taxpayer am I not allowed to question where the money is being spent? I don't want to be a Garda, if I wanted to be one, I would have went and been one.

You are but why just question the gardai pay, why not question everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

Slightly OT, but a Gaeltacht allowance? Really?

No issue with the Guards, but the Gaeltachts and the vegetative culture associated with them really are a massive drain on the state.. (+TG4 + the millions wasted on teaching Irish and on translating docs nobody reads).

Re: the Guards. People can whine and moan all they like, but try living in a country where the police are not paid enough to care and see what levels of corruption arise. It makes sense to pay your police force well. It has nothing to do with thanking them for a difficult task (which it is) it's buying loyalty.

It's not a claim it's a fact. I'm sure some of them do rent close to the station.

You are but why just question the gardai pay, why not question everything?

New rosters coming in..something is being done about that issue..

Question everything...I have questioned a lot of things in this thread so far...not many answers given though

What issues would you see as everything?

@texidub, do you not know gaeltachts are very dangerous places :D

• Advertisement

New rosters coming in..something is being done about that issue..

Question everything...I have questioned a lot of things in this thread so far...not many answers given though

What issues would you see as everything?

@texidub, do you not know gaeltachts are very dangerous places :D

New rosters are in because of the WTA.

Everything as in everything your taxes pay for not just gardai. You must be unhappy about other things in the ps.
    what answers do you want? sorry but it seems like you just want to bash the gardai and nothing else.

New rosters are in because of the WTA.

Everything as in everything your taxes pay for not just gardai. You must be unhappy about other things in the ps.
    what answers do you want? sorry but it seems like you just want to bash the gardai and nothing else.

Well say for instance I wanted to have an opinion on teachers, I would post on a thread about teachers

if I have a problem with PS workers I will post in the appropriate thread.

If I wanted an opinion on drunk drivers getting caught I will post on the appropriate thread

and so on

That is the way a discussion forum works, otherwise every thread would just be title everything and be about everything.

The answers I seek is justification for these allowances, when crime rates are rising, stations are closing etc

Hitting the nail on the head there, I'm just surprised its taken you this long to cop (hehe) onto his game.

Hitting the nail on the head there, I'm just surprised its taken you this long to cop (hehe) onto his game.

Right so, things are grand as they are, let the small stations close, once the garda have their rent allowance and allowances for not being rostered, everyone is happy

Great protectors of the community

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Micropig has already had a go at teachers, so has come over here to stir it. At least s/he has a nice dark bridge to live under.

Micropig has already had a go at teachers, so has come over here to stir it. At least s/he has a nice dark bridge to live under.

Good contribution to the discussion. Because I have an opinion on one thing, I am not allowed an opinion on anything else. Is that the way it works?

You're no detective, anyone can check my post history..oh an I referenced it in an earlier post.

Do you think someone earning €35,000+ is entitled to and extra allowance if €4,000 approx. for rent, regardless of if they are even renting, living at home etc? If so, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lannigan

The rent allowance is fully taxable and is also included in the calculations for the universal social charge and all the pension levies and PRSI purposes. The rules are very clear in the stationing of Gardai in stations. you cannot live within 15 miles of your home District. For example, Carlow/Kilkenny is a district. This covers a hugh area.
    So if you are a homeowner and you are stationed away from home the chances of you getting anywhere close to home are virtually nil.
    As there is no move on the property market, Guards are not able to sell their houses so are left paying mortages and having to rent in the area they are stationed.
    As for the high salaries, this is only the case if you have over 15 years service, but due to the levies etc, they are significantly reduced.
    Personally I have no long service and I have a mortage to pay in my home town. I am stationed over 100 miles from home and have to pay rent where i am stationed. Coupled with this I have the added expense of the fuel to go home to my family (married with kids).
    I am left with less than minimum wage to live on each week and this has had an impact on family life and their standard of living also. Without the rent allowance to help i would be virtually destitute.
    Just putting it out there.

Lannigan wrote: »
    The rent allowance is fully taxable and is also included in the calculations for the universal social charge and all the pension levies and PRSI purposes. The rules are very clear in the stationing of Gardai in stations. you cannot live within 15 miles of your home District. For example, Carlow/Kilkenny is a district. This covers a hugh area.
    So if you are a homeowner and you are stationed away from home the chances of you getting anywhere close to home are virtually nil.
    As there is no move on the property market, Guards are not able to sell their houses so are left paying mortages and having to rent in the area they are stationed.
    As for the high salaries, this is only the case if you have over 15 years service, but due to the levies etc, they are significantly reduced.
    Personally I have no long service and I have a mortage to pay in my home town. I am stationed over 100 miles from home and have to pay rent where i am stationed. Coupled with this I have the added expense of the fuel to go home to my family (married with kids).
    I am left with less than minimum wage to live on each week and this has had an impact on family life and their standard of living also. Without the rent allowance to help i would be virtually destitute.
    Just putting it out there.

Heres a mayo counciller
    asking the question of why don't they live near the station,
    &

thanks for clarifying about the districts etc..although I know some garda who live and work in (and are from) dublin, but maybe it's different because the city? Is there any move towards letting them live where they, because they used to?( not where they are from/grew up)

do you not receive a travel & subsistence allowance aswell? Isn't renting in an area, living in the area?

Left with less than minimum wage? Is this after all bills etc has been paid? Anyway, wages should not be determined by outgoings.

AgaIn what's the boot allowance for.

Hootanany wrote: »
    AgaIn what's the boot allowance for.

Boot polish;):p

• Advertisement

Heres a mayo counciller
    asking the question of why don't they live near the station,
    &

thanks for clarifying about the districts etc..although I know some garda who live and work in (and are from) dublin, but maybe it's different because the city? Is there any move towards letting them live where they, because they used to?( not where they are from/grew up)

do you not receive a travel & subsistence allowance aswell? Isn't renting in an area, living in the area?

Left with less than minimum wage? Is this after all bills etc has been paid? Anyway, wages should not be determined by outgoings.

Thanks for the questions. I actually meant to say divisions as they are the bigger areas that have districts within them. There are exemptions to the rule as you have pointed out. Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick have the exemptions in place due to the higher populations and the need for greater policing within them.

Travel and subsistence only apply oif you are sent from your station on other duties and you must be posted outside your station for a min of 5 hours for these to kick in. This allowance only applies if on duty.

For example, if I arrest someone on a warrant and the warrant is issued in another division I may be in a situation where I have to accompany that person to the original division where it was issued for it to be executed. If the amount of time I am away exceeds 5 hours then i entitled to apply for subsistence. Travel only applies if i have to go outside my district for work purposes. This has to be applied for and can be refused.

As for my 'less than minimum wage' comment, that is before bills. I still have those to pay like everyone else. I live 18 miles from work in Dublin as it was the cheepest rent I could find. Due to current working times public transport is not always possible so I am forced to use my car which is costing me about €40 per week on fuel.

While this is probably less than some people, this and the ESB/Gas bills still have to be paid out of the less than €100 I have left each week. (The deisel comes out of that also).

Boot polish;):p

Every member that's just wrong.

Thanks for the questions. I actually meant to say divisions as they are the bigger areas that have districts within them. There are exemptions to the rule as you have pointed out. Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick have the exemptions in place due to the higher populations and the need for greater policing within them.

Travel and subsistence only apply oif you are sent from your station on other duties and you must be posted outside your station for a min of 5 hours for these to kick in. This allowance only applies if on duty.

For example, if I arrest someone on a warrant and the warrant is issued in another division I may be in a situation where I have to accompany that person to the original division where it was issued for it to be executed. If the amount of time I am away exceeds 5 hours then i entitled to apply for subsistence. Travel only applies if i have to go outside my district for work purposes. This has to be applied for and can be refused.

As for my 'less than minimum wage' comment, that is before bills. I still have those to pay like everyone else. I live 18 miles from work in Dublin as it was the cheepest rent I could find. Due to current working times public transport is not always possible so I am forced to use my car which is costing me about €40 per week on fuel.

While this is probably less than some people, this and the ESB/Gas bills still have to be paid out of the less than €100 I have left each week. (The deisel comes out of that also).

Rightly so they receive the allowances for travel on duty, that's only fair, and again, thanks for clarifying re when they kick in etc.

Whats the allowance for not being rostered? How does that work? From what I can gather it's an allowance they get paid because they missed out on an allowance, they would have been paid, had they been rostered?

Do they dock half your wages? Surely tax,upc etc doesn't take half.

I live about the same from my work place, no extra allowance for getting to work..but I knew that when I accepted the job.

Boot Polish:p

Every member that's just wrong.

Accross how many Gaurds

Mr. Mac Sharry, welcome to the discussion, am I being too subversive for you?

Accross how many Gaurds

*Surplus can be used for blackening up for fancy dress parties;):D

Rightly so they receive the allowances for travel on duty, that's only fair, and again, thanks for clarifying re when they kick in etc.

Whats the allowance for not being rostered? How does that work? From what I can gather it's an allowance they get paid because they missed out on an allowance, they would have been paid, had they been rostered?

Do they dock half your wages? Surely tax,upc etc doesn't take half.

I live about the same from my work place, no extra allowance for getting to work..but I knew that when I accepted the job.

Boot Polish:p

No they dont take half my wages, although whe I look at my payslip it can certianly feel that way.

In the past 3 years my wages have dropped by 23%. My take home pay is low because I am living away from home while still paying a mortage and having to pay rent and bills on another property that i am forced to live in. My family still have to live also, so i am including part of my wages to go to them obviously. The money i am talking about, ie what i have left is to keep me living in Dublin.

As for the non rostered, I can understand the confussion. That referrs to overtime. We are not rostered to work, so the extra duties are Non Rostered. If we are due to go to court on a rest day that would be non rostered pay.

My mortaged home is 100 miles from where I rent and I live about 14 miles from where I work. A bit too much for a standard commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just reading this report about benchmarking in 2007

Came across this little gem

"Allowances payable to public service grades fall into two broad categories. Some allowances are paid to all members of a grade/rank as part of their conditions of service. Examples of such payments are the rent allowance for members of the Garda Sıochana and prison officer grades, the
    military service allowance for members of the defence forces and a qualification allowance for teachers"

Can anyone clarify if Gardai and prison officers, already on handsome salaries and extra allowances for working non-sociable hours etc.........

Recieve Rent Allowance...WTF?:eek:

Started with a pretty specific gripe.
    Yes Gardai have a good basic wage & allowances for a lot of other things on top of that, this allowance is about €4,100 / year

Maybe Brenda Howlin will do away with it, hopefully[/URL] Thursday, January 19, 2012

Allowances not made for guards and teachers in savings ideas

A call by Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin for submissions from the public on how the State could save money has yielded over 1,000 responses – along with a few unorthodox ideas.

As well as the public, many nurses, gardaí and teachers sent in ideas on how to tackle mismanagement and inefficiency across the public sector.

One garda commented that 20 per cent of the force did little or nothing and should not receive pay increments. Instead, they should be paid on the basis of performance.

Another suggested members of the force on motorbikes could be issued with scooter-type motorbikes in urban areas, similar to those used in the Spanish police force.

“They give the appearance of a larger motorbike when with all necessary police equipment, but have quite low maintenance costs,” the garda said.

One contributor suggested axing lucrative additional pay for gardaí, such as a Gaeltacht allowances, rent allowance, and boot and footwear allowances.

“There is no justification in paying a 7.5 per cent allowance to Gaeltacht-based gardaí. Do Polish/Chinese/German gardaí get paid extra? I don’t think so.”

Teachers and the education sector were also the subject of a large volume of submissions.

One contributor said the estimated 57,000 teachers at primary and secondary level should be charged for parking on school grounds.

“If each of them paid €60 a month over nine months, it would result in an income of just under €3.5 million per month,” the writer suggested.

The same person pointed out that they paid €60 a month for parking because they lived 20 miles from work and had no public transport.

Another said teachers should not be paid extra for correcting exam papers during the summer.

“It should be part of their working year. They are already overpaid and their holidays are far too long.”

In the field of security, one member of the public pointed out that the prison system was a very expensive solution for lesser crimes.

“Instead of locking up individuals for petty crime such as non-payment of TV licences, dress them in a green jumpsuit and give them hours of community service such as assisting in old people’s homes, sweeping streets, etc.”

The names of those who submitted cost-saving ideas have been blacked out by the Department of Public Expenditure to protect their identities.

A spokeswoman for Mr Howlin said all suggestions had been considered by relevant departments as part of its comprehensive spending review.

Then moved onto another one.
    It's a pity though there's not enough money in the budget to keep all these stations running
    http://www.agsi.ie/members/members_news#nonpayment1. Ah well:(, Once they have their great salaries

The association has only now been informed by AC HRM of the following information relating to the closure of some Garda stations and the reduced opening hours of others.

Ten Dublin stations will operate during the day and close at night:
    1. Stepaside
    2. Cabinteely
    3. Kill O’Grange
    4. Sundrive Road
    5. Terenure
    6. Donnybrook
    7. Cabra
    8. Malahide
    9. Santry
    10. Howth

Two district HQ stations will amalgamate:

• Laytown with Ashbourne
    • Abbeyleix with Partlaoise

The following stations will CLOSE altogether:
    Dublin

• Dalkey
    • Harcourt Terrace
    • Rush
    • Whitehall

Sligo / Leitrim

• Bunanadden
    • Drumkeerin
    • Kiltyclogher

Clare:

• Carrigaholt

Galway
    • Corrandulla

Mayo

• Glenisland
    • Tourmakeady
    • Ballycroy
    • Mulrany

Donegal

• Culdaff
    • Doochary
    • Dunkineely

Roscommon

• Lough Glynn
    • Tarmonbarry
    • Cootehall

Limerick

• Shanagolden
    • Doon

Laois
    • Geashill

Cork North
    • Glenville

Cork West
    • Castletownsend
    • Ballygorteen
    • Knocknaree
    • Ballyfeard
    • Goleen
    • Inchigeala

Tipperary

• Ballinderry
    • Ballinure

Wexford

• Ballywilliam
    • Baldwinstown

Kerry

• Ballylongford
    • Moyvane
    • Clochán

Cavan/ Monaghan

• Clontibret
    • Tullyvin
    • Smithboro

&The garda presence at the Shell refinery project in Mayo has cost just over €14.5m in extra resources over the last six years.

9 Feb 2012

At least they know how to spend their money wisely

Then moves onto another one.

In fairness it isn't Garda bashing, that would be too specific, its the usual Public Sector bashing.
    They may not be able to serve in their home town, but when they are stationed, they should be there for a few years and move there. Many people move to get work, such is life. I understand you can't just uproot families, so people with children should be stationed in an area for lenghtly period (not to disrupt the children).

Most are moved all around the country. Its an expense payment, the private sector does it as well, expenses towards moving country, expenses helping head hunting.

Overnight expenses to stay in hotels, by your logic they shouldn't get it, a salesman should know he he is going to be all over the country, why does he need subsistence for hotels? Surely his pay would cover it?
    Gardaí receive allowances for being rostered at night or on a Saturday and for being “non-rostered” at these times

Another non-nonsensical allowance, fair enough for being rostered but an allowance for not being rostered :confused:

Probably an on-call payment, the private sector does it as well. It's recompense for not actually working, but being available to come in for an emergency. Private sector nurses get something similar AFAIK.

I look forward to you highlighting unnecessary expenses in the Private Sector and starting loads of threads.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I'm also a guard and Lannigans experience is almost identical.

(I don't have kids but my own home is slightly further away and I'm due to get married next year)
    End result is again, I'm getting by on MAX €120 a week if I'm lucky to buy food, diesel etc.
    There's a very good chance that if I was offered a better paid (or even the same) job at home, I'd walk from my present job in the morning. It's a shame because I love my job but when it gets to the stage where I can't afford to live it's not worth it!!

No they dont take half my wages, although whe I look at my payslip it can certianly feel that way.

In the past 3 years my wages have dropped by 23%. My take home pay is low because I am living away from home while still paying a mortage and having to pay rent and bills on another property that i am forced to live in. My family still have to live also, so i am including part of my wages to go to them obviously. The money i am talking about, ie what i have left is to keep me living in Dublin.

As for the non rostered, I can understand the confussion. That referrs to overtime. We are not rostered to work, so the extra duties are Non Rostered. If we are due to go to court on a rest day that would be non rostered pay.

My mortaged home is 100 miles from where I rent and I live about 14 miles from where I work. A bit too much for a standard commute.

Maybe it should be means tested so? There are many garda on high salaries, and not renting the extra house like yourself receiving this payment.

I know all about the property market now, but if you where to be stationed there for a long period, it would make sense to sell up and move nearer. I suppose though, you don't know how long you'll be there? The money you refer to though for a single person to live on for the week(working period) (as you have already taken care of your family) It mightn't be a whole lot, but then raising a family isn't cheap either, minimum wage is about €350 approx/week

• Advertisement

Maybe it should be means tested so? There are many garda on high salaries, and not renting the extra house like yourself receiving this payment.

I know all about the property market now, but if you where to be stationed there for a long period, it would make sense to sell up and move nearer. I suppose though, you don't know how long you'll be there? The money you refer to though for a single person to live on for the week(working period) (as you have already taken care of your family) It mightn't be a whole lot, but then raising a family isn't cheap either, minimum wage is about €350 approx/week

Due to the stop on new recruits there is no movement on anyone going anywhere at the moment. Trust me, I would love to be at home and working there (or at least close a 50 mile commute in the country is very acceptable)

As for the house, its on the market. I am lucky enough to be in a position not to be in negative equity. But only just about. As The banks are not giving out any mortages at the moment, it is not selling. Even at a break even price to clear my mortage I cant get a buyer. So I am left with the current situation.

As for my situation. €100 per week to live, feed, pay bills and buy diesel while living in Dublin is not easy.

If I was on the dole the rent allowance, medical card and social welfare would give me a better disposable income than I have now. Hand the house back to the bank and get a council house. So insted of contibuting to society i become a burden. To me that makes no sense!!!

K-9 wrote: »
    Started with a pretty specific gripe.

Gardai getting rent allowance, public finances mean that garda stations are closing all over the place

Then moved onto another one.

Link to article about submissions to Brendan Howlin...From the public on ways to save money about garda
    Then moves onto another one.

In fairness it isn't Garda bashing, that would be too specific, its the usual Public Sector bashing.

Lots of garda stations closing down.... of the justice budget €12.4million is being spent on paying tax for gardai and €14.4million defending shell to sea, I've just recently discovered they receive rent alllowance. their wages comes from tax payers money and I have a right to ask questions about what it's being spent on

get where I'm going...the country is in the state it's in because of the lack of debate on issues.

Most are moved all around the country. Its an expense payment, the private sector does it as well, expenses towards moving country, expenses helping head hunting.

If they are stationed in the one area for a long period, they should move closer, I think they are looking at this from an earlier link

Overnight expenses to stay in hotels, by your logic they shouldn't get it, a salesman should know he he is going to be all over the country, why does he need subsistence for hotels? Surely his pay would cover it?

Here, you fail with logic. Read my posts. I already said, it is only right that they get reimbursed for expenses incurred on duty, travel etc

Probably an on-call payment, the private sector does it as well. It's recompense for not actually working, but being available to come in for an emergency. Private sector nurses get something similar AFAIK.
    So you don't know

I look forward to you highlighting unnecessary expenses in the Private Sector and starting loads of threads.

I'm not contributing to paying the private sectors wages;)

(I don't have kids but my own home is slightly further away and I'm due to get married next year)
    End result is again, I'm getting by on MAX €120 a week if I'm lucky to buy food, diesel etc.
    There's a very good chance that if I was offered a better paid (or even the same) job at home, I'd walk from my present job in the morning. It's a shame because I love my job but when it gets to the stage where I can't afford to live it's not worth it!!

You've no kids etc, you should have no problem moving closer to where your working

Thanks for that and I understand what you mean. I left the private sector to join the Guards as it was always what I wanted to do.

I love the job and all its variations and the reward I feel when I help someone is a validation that I made the right choice.

However it is becoming more and more difficult to justify that when i am faced with the stark reality that I cannot afford to live or support my family. Having to try take time off on an early shift so I can get the dart into work as I cannot afford to put diesel into my car wears thin after a while.

Due to the stop on new recruits there is no movement on anyone going anywhere at the moment. Trust me, I would love to be at home and working there (or at least close a 50 mile commute in the country is very acceptable)

As for the house, its on the market. I am lucky enough to be in a position not to be in negative equity. But only just about. As The banks are not giving out any mortages at the moment, it is not selling. Even at a break even price to clear my mortage I cant get a buyer. So I am left with the current situation.

As for my situation. €100 per week to live, feed, pay bills and buy diesel while living in Dublin is not easy.

If I was on the dole the rent allowance, medical card and social welfare would give me a better disposable income than I have now. Hand the house back to the bank and get a council house. So insted of contibuting to society i become a burden. To me that makes no sense!!!

No movement..So you know you're going to be there for a while, you have your house on the market, rent with your family nearer to where you work, you'll only have to run one house....a lot of people have to follow the work, but you have the option of moving your family closer. If you really want to shift your house you will drop your price further. There are loads of good deals when buying. The financial hit you take for selling for slightly less than you bought it are made up by the improve quality of life for you and your family. Houses are investments, they go up as well as down.

Why would you go on the dole, get a council house etc?

Everyone is in the same situation re property

Thanks for that and I understand what you mean. I left the private sector to join the Guards as it was always what I wanted to do.

I love the job and all its variations and the reward I feel when I help someone is a validation that I made the right choice.

However it is becoming more and more difficult to justify that when i am faced with the stark reality that I cannot afford to live or support my family. Having to try take time off on an early shift so I can get the dart into work as I cannot afford to put diesel into my car wears thin after a while.

from the sound of things you're only in the job a few years. The people I would be most interested in removing this allowance from is the high earners, anyone over, say €40,000. Minimum wage is about €18,000, so it's over double

Re house: if it won't sell, rent it out and move your family closer.

I'd no idea you were a guard.. Respect.

We've lads (married) who are sleeping in barracks now because they can no longer afford to travel to and from home any longer.

I'm lucky in so far as I've 28 yrs service and so I'm at the top of my increments etc. But the younger lads on new contracts are really feeling the pinch now with many qualifying for Family Income Supplement.

Some people have to wake up to the fact that not all P.S. workers are in clover and many are struggling week to week to hold their heads above water.. And most doing jobs their detractors wouldn't dream of doing in a million years, and want nothing else than to serve their country and communities.

• Advertisement

We've lads (married) who are sleeping in barracks now because they can no longer afford to travel to and from home any longer.

I'm lucky in so far as I've 28 yrs service and so I'm at the top of my increments etc. But the younger lads on new contracts are really feeling the pinch now with many qualifying for Family Income Supplement.

Some people have to wake up to the fact that not all P.S. workers are in clover and many are struggling week to week to hold their heads above water.. And most doing jobs their detractors wouldn't dream of doing in a million years, and want nothing else than to serve their country and communities.

Are they sleeping in the barracks because the overspent in their private lives and didn't live within their means?

They can't cry poverty I'm afraid. Yourself with 28 years service, should definitively not be receiving this rent allowance. In how many different districts over than period, may I inquire? I might perhaps agreed to giving it to the new recruits until they are stationed somewhere permanently. Then cut.

They're are many other ways of serving your community, working with community organisations, which most often are set up to service areas the public service doesn't. These people do it because they want to.

No movement..So you know you're going to be there for a while, you have your house on the market, rent with your family nearer to where you work, you'll only have to run one house....a lot of people have to follow the work, but you have the option of moving your family closer. If you really want to shift your house you will drop your price further. There are loads of good deals when buying. The financial hit you take for selling for slightly less than you bought it are made up by the improve quality of life for you and your family. Houses are investments, they go up as well as down.

Why would you go on the dole, get a council house etc?

Everyone is in the same situation re property

Not sure here is you are just playing Devils Advocate here or not fully following what I am saying.

I am not saying I would leave work and get a council house etc. What i am saying is financially I would be better off.

As for moving my familly, why should I be forced into a position where I uproot my kids and my wife where they have friends/school/activites and more importantly family. Family are there when I am working to help cover the cost of childcare while I am away and offer a stable environment to compensate for that.

I love what I do, I just wish that the powers that be realise that the current working practices are not practicle and that the wages/work life balance is not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thats the nub of a problem for me. Respect should be earned. Having a certain job does not indicate respect is deserved. I treat people respectfully but I wont respect one man over another based on his job.

Ill add that I mean the problem to be the way Irish people lay certain respect on groups of people irrespective of wheter its deserved. I have one or two mates on the gaurds. One got the position because of his father and grandfather, The other comes from a home rife with domestic abuse and despite that (or in spite of) became a gaurd. Both have the same job yet theres only one I would respect.

Not sure here is you are just playing Devils Advocate here or not fully following what I am saying.

I am not saying I would leave work and get a council house etc. What i am saying is financially I would be better off.

As for moving my familly, why should I be forced into a position where I uproot my kids and my wife where they have friends/school/activites and more importantly family. Family are there when I am working to help cover the cost of childcare while I am away and offer a stable environment to compensate for that.

I love what I do, I just wish that the powers that be realise that the current working practices are not practicle and that the wages/work life balance is not working.

You are forced in to this position because you accepted a job which puts you in this position. Did you know before entering AGS that you would be stationed elsewhere?

I'm not saying you have to move your family, but it is another option you have...That the decision you and your family have to make. Many people move for work.

Current work practices are not working, do you hold out much hope that the new rosters will improve things?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Thats the nub of a problem for me. Respect should be earned. Having a certain job does not indicate respect is deserved. I treat people respectfully but I wont respect one man over another based on his job.

AGS as a whole has earned my respect.

As for me, I'm a member of the Defence Forces.

• Advertisement
Advertisement