Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's not just the pyjama wearers....GARDAI receive RENT ALLOWANCE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

dirtyden wrote: »
    You consider this a hardship? I have every respect for the Gardai and think they do a fantastic job on the whole, but 6 8 hr shifts in a row is hardly excessive.

I do shift work, 4 13 hr days in a row, 12 hr shifts plus 30 mins each side for handovers. This would not be uncommon in many industries.

what is uncommon in the gardai is the 8 hrs between shifts. When they come of nights at 6am they are back at 2pm same day, when they come of late shift at 10pm they are back at 6am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

hondasam wrote: »
    what is uncommon in the gardai is the 8 hrs between shifts. When they come of nights at 6am they are back at 2pm same day, when they come of late shift at 10pm they are back at 6am.

Do shifts like that not contravene European Laws ?
    Are you not supposed to have 10 hours between shifts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

mentioned here

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/shift-system-will-see-more-gardai-on-duty-at-busier-times-189172.html

And sure as I remarked earlier Ireland has long been flouting the European laws in the case of hospital staff despite official warnings from the EU.

yes they do,they were exempt before this. The shifts are changing now to stop this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Do all of them who are renting get rent allowance no questions asked?

Dudess wrote: »
    Do all of them who are renting get rent allowance no questions asked?

everyone gets rent allowance renting or not, it's built into the pay. Typical of the PS to give allowances.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=garda%20pay&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gra.cc%2F&ei=hpKQT46tINSyhAf5gsiuBA&usg=AFQjCNGr2wDuW3616uElZt3jUR3oRNea1g

you will get pay scales here and allowances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

dirtyden wrote: »
    You consider this a hardship? I have every respect for the Gardai and think they do a fantastic job on the whole, but 6 8 hr shifts in a row is hardly excessive.

I do shift work, 4 13 hr days in a row, 12 hr shifts plus 30 mins each side for handovers. This would not be uncommon in many industries.

You have eleven hours between shifts. Gardai get only eight hours between many of their shifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

everyone gets rent allowance renting or not, it's built into the pay. Typical of the PS to give allowances.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=garda%20pay&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gra.cc%2F&ei=hpKQT46tINSyhAf5gsiuBA&usg=AFQjCNGr2wDuW3616uElZt3jUR3oRNea1g

you will get pay scales here and allowances.

Generalise much? I work in the PS, we work nights, weekends, bank holidays, have to wear a uniform. Also deal with criminal activity. We don't get overtime, or allowances for rent or boots or uniforms, which we still have to wear and clean. Not saying we should either. Love the job and don't need extra allowances, but don't like when we get lumped in with people who do get allowances so you can take a cheap shot at the PS. These allowances are not typical in the PS that I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

MagicSean wrote: »
    You have eleven hours between shifts. Gardai get only eight hours between many of their shifts.

You do an 8 hr shift I do 13.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Generalise much? I work in the PS, we work nights, weekends, bank holidays, have to wear a uniform. Also deal with criminal activity. We don't get overtime, or allowances for rent or boots or uniforms, which we still have to wear and clean. Not saying we should either. Love the job and don't need extra allowances, but don't like when we get lumped in with people who do get allowances so you can take a cheap shot at the PS. These allowances are not typical in the PS that I know.

How come you don't get overtime? Do you get extra for nights and bank holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mustering up... keyboard... rage (but not bothering to do anything else)...

Nah, **** it...

Dudess wrote: »
    Mustering up... keyboard... rage (but not bothering to do anything else)...

Nah, **** it...

Ah go on, you know you want to. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mightymouse vs Dangermouse

Magic sean and nodin are guards im guessing????
    YOu guys, take off the badge and look at life through the eyes of those you payed to protect!! Remember, guards are public servants, in other words TO SERVE THE PUBLIC. Any hospital worker will do 48 hrs and more in 112 hrs, whata pathetic argument. Anyone who has there own business would probably put those hrs in 3 days!! Guys please, ye must have a mental disease if thats what ye believe should entitle rent allowance!
    This country is so sad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Magic sean and nodin are guards im guessing????
    .............!!

You'd be guessing wrong in my case.

my bad. But i think you should join the force.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TheLastWord

All NCHD's (Non-Consultant Hospital Doctors, i.e. not Consultants!) get a 'Living Out Allowance'. As recently as Feb. 2011 it was kept in their contract. The only ones who wouldn't get it are Locums, but at €45 to €83/hr it's OK. Amounts to €61.20 per week.

my bad. But i think you should join the force.

I'm too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭oholly121

their job is hard enough and the pay aint that good let the have it

wheres the rule work is supposed to be easy. I better get a 6 pack of "cop on" And give some out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

micropig wrote: »
    Yes Gardai have a good basic wage & allowances for a lot of other things on top of that, this allowance is about €4,100 / year

Maybe Brenda Howlin will do away with it, hopefully[/URL] Thursday, January 19, 2012

Allowances not made for guards and teachers in savings ideas

A call by Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin for submissions from the public on how the State could save money has yielded over 1,000 responses – along with a few unorthodox ideas.

As well as the public, many nurses, gardaí and teachers sent in ideas on how to tackle mismanagement and inefficiency across the public sector.

One garda commented that 20 per cent of the force did little or nothing and should not receive pay increments. Instead, they should be paid on the basis of performance.

How do measure Garda performance? arrests? like in America? where you have stupid arrests being made just to fill quotas? the stupid burns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

RichieC wrote: »
    How do measure Garda performance? arrests? like in America? where you have stupid arrests being made just to fill quotas? the stupid burns.

well, you could start with fitness levels...

well, you could start with fitness levels...

How is that a measure of performance? It's a measure of capability for certain aspects of the job. The only measurable performance would have to be along the lines of arrests and prosecutions. Of course then you'd have people giving out about over zealous Gardaí. The fact is there are some jobs that can't be quantifiably assessed.

How is that a measure of performance? It's a measure of capability for certain aspects of the job.

I think you answered your own question there

If you're not capable - you can't perform;)

I think you answered your own question there

If you're not capable - you can't perform;)

So you don't think their performance should be assessed, just their capability? I don't think that would be a problem. Regular eye tests and driving tests too maybe. Then we can have marathon runners with good eye sight and Bond like driving skills. They may not have people skills are intelligence but at least they can catch the odd fella who runs away.

As your so obsessed concerened about Garda working conditions you will be interested to know that Gardaí will no longer be forced to work contrary to the EU Working Time Directive. I wonder if the Garda Representative Association has considered suing the government for the excessive and long standing abuse of it's workers in this manner? I trust you would support such a case?

As your so obsessed concerened about Garda working conditions you will be interested to know that Gardaí will no longer be forced to work contrary to the EU Working Time Directive. I wonder if the Garda Representative Association has considered suing the government for the excessive and long standing abuse of it's workers in this manner? I trust you would support such a case?

Cant see this happening then again you would never know.

So you don't think their performance should be assessed, just their capability? I don't think that would be a problem. Regular eye tests and driving tests too maybe. Then we can have marathon runners with good eye sight and Bond like driving skills. They may not have people skills are intelligence but at least they can catch the odd fella who runs away.

Yes I would prefer if the Gardai where fit marathon runners with Bond driving skills, at least they would seem capable of doing something other than ordering from the drive through, that's the impression they give at the moment

So less hours now are you going to demand wages should also be restructured in line with the new hours? what's the excuse for receiving rent allowance now?

Yes I would prefer if the Gardai where fit marathon runners with Bond driving skills, at least they would seem capable of doing something other than ordering from the drive through, that's the impression they give at the moment

So less hours now are you going to demand wages should also be restructured in line with the new hours? what's the excuse for receiving rent allowance now?

Who said anything about less hours?

Christ, you're bitter.

Who said anything about less hours?

Ye agreed to the old rosters under Croke park..more interested in your fat pay packets than work conditions at that meeting were ye? and now ye want sympathy..:rolleyes:

Ye agreed to the old rosters under Croke park..more interested in your fat pay packets than work conditions at that meeting were ye? and now ye want sympathy..:rolleyes:

What are you on about? Do you even know what you are on about?
    No one is looking for sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Micropig, all your recent posts have been extremely silly and pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Nodin wrote: »
    Christ, you're bitter.

What is it anyway, why have they the right to receive rent allowance. I really don't understand why?

44leto wrote: »
    What is it anyway, why have they the right to receive rent allowance. I really don't understand why?

Because for the first few years of the job you're fucked around from billy to jack and back again. They used to have barracks attached to the stations, but they're all long gone.

Do please explain this remark, with a few examples from mainstream sources please.

Eh no. The old rosters have been there a long time. The new rosters are coming in because the attorney general advised that the old rosters were a breach of minimum working conditions under EU law.

44leto wrote: »

Every Garda regardless of position receives rent allowance. It has nothing to do with renting or where your stationed.

Any Garda care to comment on your allowance for going to the scene of the crime? Isn't this a fundamental aspect of your job?

Or any female soldiers care to comment on the underwear allowance you receive?

Source Today with Pat Kenny on rat radio 1 25/04/2012.

Every Garda regardless of position receives rent allowance. It has nothing to do with renting or where your stationed.

Any Garda care to comment on your allowance for going to the scene of the crime? Isn't this a fundamental aspect of your job?

Or any female soldiers care to comment on the underwear allowance you receive?

Source Today with Pat Kenny on rat radio 1 25/04/2012.

There's no allowance for going to scenes of crime.

As to the underwear allowance. How about you ask you girlfriend or mammy what extra items they might need if camping for a weekend during their period. You might also ask them wether their usual bra would be sufficient for intense military exercises. It's quite sad you have to learn these things on the internet you know.

There's no allowance for going to scenes of crime.
    Not according to the lady on Pat Kenny this morning, have alisten, you might me missing out on that payout

As to the underwear allowance. How about you ask you girlfriend or mammy what extra items they might need if camping for a weekend during their period. You might also ask them wether their usual bra would be sufficient for intense military exercises. It's quite sad you have to learn these things on the internet you know.

:pac::pac::pac:
    Do they get special military tampons?

What's quite sad is you think other women don't get periods:pac:

Not according to the lady on Pat Kenny this morning, have alisten, you might me missing out on that payout

He was wrong.
    Do they get special military tampons?
    What's quite sad is you think other women don't get periods:pac:

Other women can go to the shop . The basic fact is that women in the army have certain requirements that men don't so this allowance would put them on an even footing with their male counterprts.

• Advertisement

He was wrong.

Lady does not = he, detective skills fail
    Other women can go to the shop . The basic fact is that women in the army have certain requirements that men don't so this allowance would put them on an even footing with their male counterprts.

For underwear and night time garments - this is what the allowance is for

Supply them with mooncups

For underwear and night time garments - this is what the allowance is for

Supply them with mooncups

Do they have a say in this or you making decisions for what they use?
    Why not put them on the pill for six months, no periods sorted. How much money will that save?

Do they have a say in this or you making decisions for what they use?
    Why not put them on the pill for six months, no periods sorted. How much money will that save?

Well thinking logically. If your on a tour in some remote area, where are you going to dispose of the used tampons/pads? very environmentally unfriendly. What if you run out of tampons or pads, no chance with this, mooncups are re-usable. They get a period allowance for sanitary protection...seriously?

Lady does not = he, detective skills fail

That's the best you can do? Forget about the issue just go for an error in the post.

He was wrong.

No she wasn't, have a google there
    Scenes of Crime Allowance (A) €2,947.00 p.a. (B) €3,046

See my post on mooncups
    That's the best you can do? Forget about the issue just go for an error in the post.

How's that for you? I see you ignored the issue there yourself

Well thinking logically. If your on a tour in some remote area, where are you going to dispose of the used tampons/pads? very environmentally unfriendly. What if you run out of tampons or pads, no chance with this, mooncups are re-usable. They get a period allowance for sanitary protection...seriously?

Yes I'm sure when you are hiding from the enemy your primary mission would be to make sure you don't bury anything that might disrupt the local ecology. Get real.
    No she wasn't, have a google there
    Scenes of Crime Allowance (A) €2,947.00 p.a. (B) €3,046

That's not an allowance for going to a scene of crime.
    See my post on mooncups

They need to be cleaned between uses.

• Advertisement

Yes I'm sure when you are hiding from the enemy your primary mission would be to make sure you don't bury anything that might disrupt the local ecology. Get real.

Ok well if the environment is not a concern, how about the girls having to carry supplies of these?
    What if they run out?
    Would the enemy not be able to follow the trail of use sanitary wear with a good dog?
    That's not an allowance for going to a scene of crime.

:rolleyes: What is it?
    They need to be cleaned between uses.
    Boil them, hardly rocket science
    Boil them in hot water

:rolleyes: What is it?

Maybe you should research it.
    Ok well if the environment is not a concern, how about the girls having to carry supplies of these?
    What if they run out?
    Would the enemy not be able to follow the trail of use sanitary wear with a good dog?
    Boil them, hardly rocket science
    Boil them in hot water

Using the kettle? I can see you would be a great addition to any armed force. Be honest. Are you 15?

Maybe you should research it.

Because you don't know what it is, in fact you claimed it didn't exist:D
    Using the kettle? I can see you would be a great addition to any armed force. Be honest. Are you 15?

Yes, there are no other ways to boil water than in a kettle...good thinking outside the box there...What IQ levels are required to be a Garda?

Because you don't know what it is, in fact you claimed it didn't exist:D

No, I said there was no allowance for attending the scene of a crime. That's not what this allowance is. It's for being a permanent member of a scenes of crime unit.
    Yes, there are no other ways to boil water than in a kettle...good thinking outside the box there...What IQ levels are required to be a Garda?

So while trekking through a jungle you think it wouldn't be a problem to stop your platoon to light a fire and boil some water to clean something which could easily be replaced by a disposable item. Do you also object to soldiers using disposable bandages? You know they often throw away empty magazines too? You think they should collect them for recycling. Your arguments are just ridiculous.

No, I said there was no allowance for attending the scene of a crime. That's not what this allowance is. It's for being a permanent member of a scenes of crime unit.

So while trekking through a jungle you think it wouldn't be a problem to stop your platoon to light a fire and boil some water to clean something which could easily be replaced by a disposable item. Do you also object to soldiers using disposable bandages? You know they often throw away empty magazines too? You think they should collect them for recycling. Your arguments are just ridiculous.

You need to research how mooncups are sterilized. you don't need to boil water to clean it every time you remove it. Just once a month when your period is finished.

My point was not about the disposing of them but the allowance for providing them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement