Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

101 Irish Albums to......

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

daveyeh wrote: »
    The (****) corrs, the (pathetic) fight like apes & the (contrived) cast of cheers get a mention, but no Horslips

Perfect comment so far... I think I can get behind this...
    daveyeh wrote: »
    or Republic of loose? Shame on you all. :mad:

...aww, so close and yet so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

whatever and ever amen by ben folds five... Easily one of the best albums ive ever heard... start to finish perfection done n a few thousand dollar budget.

Eat that bono ye muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Pdfile wrote: »
    whatever and ever amen by ben folds five... Easily one of the best albums ive ever heard... start to finish perfection done n a few thousand dollar budget.

Eat that bono ye muppet.

Ben Folds Five aren't Irish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 HidePork

tbh I'd find it hard to recommend 10 never mind 101!
    Recognised some of those albums from the bargain bin in the local charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭emo72

noone mentioned something happens. they weren't bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Originally Posted by daveyeh viewpost.gif
    The (****) corrs, the (pathetic) fight like apes & the (contrived) cast of cheers get a mention, but no Horslips
    Perfect comment so far... I think I can get behind this...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveyeh viewpost.gif
    or Republic of loose? Shame on you all. mad.gif

...aww, so close and yet so far!

Rep of Loose are alright!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

emo72 wrote: »
    noone mentioned something happens. they weren't bad

where not that good either..DaisyHead was a good song though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

121. Snow Patrol - Final Straw

122. The Blizzards - Domino Effect

123. Aslan - Goodbye Charlie Moonhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I see Live and Dangerous didn't make it, the 101 that did must all be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daru

124 - Skid Row - 34 Hours
    125 - Skid Row - Skid
    126 - Horslips - The Tain
    127 - Horslips - Happy to meet Sorry to Part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Dotsey wrote: »
    121. Snow Patrol - Final Straw
    That's debatable. I've always seen Snow Patrol as more of a Scottish band than an Irish band. They formed in Dundee and are currently based in Glasgow so technically they're a Scottish band.

Also take into account that the Irish music media will happily jump at anything that is remotely Irish, in this case Gary Lightbody being from Bangor, Co. Down.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    That's debatable. I've always seen Snow Patrol as more of a Scottish band than an Irish band. They formed in Dundee and are currently based in Glasgow so technically they're a Scottish band.

Also take into account that the Irish music media will happily jump at anything that is remotely Irish, in this case Gary Lightbody being from Bangor, Co. Down.
    I agree its debatable but Gary Lightbody is from Bangor, Jonny Quinn is from Bangor, Nathan Connolly is from Belfast and Mark McClelland is also from Belfast and was in the band at the time of the release of Final Straw so that's four out of five members being Irish.

Using the logic that Snow Patrol are Scottish because they formed there even though most of them including the main creative force were born and raised in Ireland pretty much means they are/were Irish. If we were in the habit of claiming anything "remotely Irish" we could also claim Oasis seen as Noel and Liam Gallagher are practically Irish, but regardless of their parents and where they spent their summer holidays Noel and Liam were born, raised and the band formed in Manchester which is the crucial difference between Snow Patrol.

The Waterboys would be the opposite to Snow Patrol with them being a Scottish band mostly based out of Ireland.

Only two out of the four members of U2 are Irish and they pay tax in Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

128 . Simple kid - 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I agree its debatable but Gary Lightbody is from Bangor, Jonny Quinn is from Bangor, Nathan Connolly is from Belfast and Mark McClelland is also from Belfast and was in the band at the time of the release of Final Straw so that's four out of five members being Irish.

Using the logic that Snow Patrol are Scottish because they formed there even though most of them including the main creative force were born and raised in Ireland pretty much means they are/were Irish. If we were in the habit of claiming anything "remotely Irish" we could also claim Oasis seen as Noel and Liam Gallagher are practically Irish, but regardless of their parents and where they spent their summer holidays Noel and Liam were born, raised and the band formed in Manchester which is the crucial difference between Snow Patrol.

The Waterboys would be the opposite to Snow Patrol with them being a Scottish band mostly based out of Ireland.

Only two out of the four members of U2 are Irish and they pay tax in Holland.

Have Snow Patrol ever proclaimed themselves to be an Irish band? The way I see it, the place you consider to be home is a basic human right, like anything else.

I was born in Dublin, lived there till I was three and have resided in Kildare since but I've always considered Dublin my hometown, never Kildare. It is recorded on my birth cert, Dublin is where I was and always will be from, its something that can never be changed.

The Gallagher brothers have called Ireland their home, and the place they are ultimately from. Not only did they spend their summers here, Peggy is from Mayo and Thomas is from Westmeath, Ireland is the families home and where Noel and Liam were born and nothing will never change that. Your heritage is a social identity, it defines you as a person, you can't get anymore proof of where your from than that.

Does the place a project (like forming a band) takes place really matter that much more than where the participating members are from? Some episodes of The Simpsons are produced in parts of Asia because its cheaper, that doesn't make those episodes non-American, because The Simpsons was created in America and that is the place of origin of the entire franchise, thats what matters the most.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Have Snow Patrol ever proclaimed themselves to be an Irish band? The way I see it, the place you consider to be home is a basic human right, like anything else.

The Gallagher brothers have called Ireland their home, and the place they are ultimately from. Not only did they spend their summers here, Peggy is from Mayo and Thomas is from Westmeath, Ireland is the families home and where Noel and Liam were born and nothing will never change that. Your heritage is a social identity, it defines you as a person, you can't get anymore proof of where your from than that.
    The fact that every member of Snow Patrol bar one is from Ireland means they have never had to come out and say "we're an Irish band". If two lads are from Bangor and two from Belfast then they're Irish hence why I included their album on the list.

So not to offend Tommy Gallagher, he's from Duleek which is in Meath not Westmeath and Noel and Liam were I believe born in Manchester, England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭FionnK86

129. The Script- the script

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hankfitz

I wouldn't be in any rush to include the script

hankfitz wrote: »
    I wouldn't be in any rush to include the script

IMO they're a great band with a diverse sound, that many people are hating on because of their recent fame in the charts. However to make it with such a band-orientated sound into the charts is no easy task, we should be proud a purely Irish act have achieved what the likes of Mumford & Sons, Of Monsters & Men and Killers are doing, keeping rock alive:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

FionnK86 wrote: »
    IMO they're a great band with a diverse sound, that many people are hating on because of their recent fame in the charts. However to make it with such a band-orientated sound into the charts is no easy task, we should be proud a purely Irish act have achieved what the likes of Mumford & Sons, Of Monsters & Men and Killers are doing, keeping rock alive:)

I actually thought the reason so many people hate on The Script is because two of them were in a boyband.

I would probably disagree that its not easy for The Script to make the charts with the type of music they put out, generally its all down to the watering down aspects of the music to make it radio-friendly. Nothing is wrong with that of course, plenty of pop acts throughout history have had a radio-friendly sound and it doesn't take away from their credibility, ABBA, Carpenters, Roy Orbison, Michael Jackson to name a few.

All in all The Script are a decent band, maybe not as revolutionary as My Bloody Valentine or Ash, but who says you need to radically change music to be a worthwhile act.

They are much better than Lady GaGa, Flo Rida, Niki Manaj or any of the more manufactured/auto-tune driven acts who usually make the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The fact that every member of Snow Patrol bar one is from Ireland means they have never had to come out and say "we're an Irish band". If two lads are from Bangor and two from Belfast then they're Irish hence why I included their album on the list.

So not to offend Tommy Gallagher, he's from Duleek which is in Meath not Westmeath and Noel and Liam were I believe born in Manchester, England.

Noel pays lip service to his Irish blood but he's a Manchester boy through and through.

Liam on the other hand hates the plastic Paddy tag and in no way identifies himself as being Irish.

Their eldest brother Paul is actually the complete opposite and embraces his heritage. A big Gaelic fan as well, he attended some of Mayo's games over the summer. So its interesting to see how the family is split when it comes to this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

a diverse sound

Come on now...
    However to make it with such a band-orientated sound into the charts is no easy task

Who cares what the charts have to say about music anymore?
    we should be proud a purely Irish act have achieved what the likes of Mumford & Sons, Of Monsters & Men and Killers are doing, keeping rock alive:)

I'd rather be proud that an Irish act makes good music. Like Adebisi Shank, Thread Pulls, Enemies, Girl Band, Spies, Sert One, Kara Kara, etc. etc. etc. We don't need to lower our standards to the likes of The Script to recognise great Irish music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

rcaz wrote: »
    If we count the Pogues can we count Aphex Twin?

Good point, at least Richard D. James was born in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,870 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

130. Berkeley - In Moments

One of the most underrated Irish albums ever in my very humble opinion

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

If we count the Pogues can we count Aphex Twin?
    Or Sally Oldfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

128 . Simple kid - 1

I just looked through this whole thread to see if anyone had posted this album, its brilliant, i'd listened to it for months before i even realised he was Irish. One of the best and under listened albums ever imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Kathey davey/tales of silversleeve.

Come on now...

Who cares what the charts have to say about music anymore?

I'd rather be proud that an Irish act makes good music. Like Adebisi Shank, Thread Pulls, Enemies, Girl Band, Spies, Sert One, Kara Kara, etc. etc. etc. We don't need to lower our standards to the likes of The Script to recognise great Irish music.

A lot of people care what the charts have to say...thats why they are the charts...The Script make good music, ive listened to Adebisi Shanks for two years longer than the Script...they haven't done much to make an impact an the global scene

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

karaokeman wrote: »
    I actually thought the reason so many people hate on The Script is because two of them were in a boyband.

I think a lot of people hate them because they make sh*te music.

Advertisement