Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiring of unqualified teachers still continuing

• 14-03-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

I would have thought with the massive supply of teachers this practice would have ended. However I have seen this happen lately where a person has been hired because they had a connection and now have about 15 hours including exam classes for quite common subjects. Person is only finished their BA and has no experience whatsoever.

In my opinion this is something the Teaching Council should be proactively getting involved in and if needs be forcing a schools hand in this matter.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

INTO have told members not to work with any unqualified teachers.What about secondary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

INTO have told members not to work with any unqualified teachers.What about secondary?

Maybe it's just me but anyone ever notice that when there are debates about education in the media the INTO always step up to the plate,

but ASTI.........

...tumbleweed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Hymph ! Will you report the school DeltaBravo? Or get someone else to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Laura.Lee

I would have thought with the massive supply of teachers this practice would have ended. However I have seen this happen lately where a person has been hired because they had a connection and now have about 15 hours including exam classes for quite common subjects. Person is only finished their BA and has no experience whatsoever.

In my opinion this is something the Teaching Council should be proactively getting involved in and if needs be forcing a schools hand in this matter.

There is an unqualified teacher teaching in my school. Covering an extended sick leave. No PGDE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Laura.Lee wrote: »

There is an unqualified teacher teaching in my school. Covering an extended sick leave. No PGDE!

It's a shocking disgraceful practise and shame shame shame on those who employ staff (not teachers!) in this manner. It makes a mockery of our profession. The problem is what to do next? Letter of complaint on behalf of the union staff to the BOM? There should be some way an anon tip off can be given to the TC who then contact the school.

Sorry for rant - but this is really a pet hate of mine - I went through absolute hoops to get my registration sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

TC won't do anything about it, I'd imagine.

Well make it public some way . Local radio / letter to a newspaper . Anything but don't be passive !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Well make it public some way . Local radio / letter to a newspaper . Anything but don't be passive !

Its quite difficult when you're only a sub so I don't want to step on senior toes. I'll send an email to the ASTI and see what the story is.

I understand its difficult for you too.
    I'm a sub who can not get subbing. Plenty more like me who don't know anybody who would do anything for that job . Please do what you can to report it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Happening in my school too. Principal's son is in doing subbing the last four months. No specific teacher, just whatever needs to be covered on any given day. :mad:

He's doing the dip at the moment, but as it stands is not qualified.

• Advertisement

And I thought people could only be paid if they were registered with the teaching council ? Why did I bother paying their fee then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

Maybe if we stopped hiring so many qualified Teachers as TD's we would not need to hire unqualified teachers for the class room..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

niallers1 wrote: »
    Maybe if we stopped hiring so many qualified Teachers as TD's we would not need to hire unqualified teachers for the class room..:rolleyes:

What a ridiculous post!

TDs are not 'hired', they are elected.

There is a huge shortage of teaching jobs and oversupply of teachers at the moment, so your point makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

What a ridiculous post!

TDs are not 'hired', they are elected.

There is a huge shortage of teaching jobs and oversupply of teachers at the moment, so your point makes no sense.

They interviewed for the Job and were hired by the voting public/Taxpayer.

Elected/Hired... Meh..same thing, just a bigger pool of people involved in the interview and selection process.

Anyway, That's off topic .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It is true that we are not supposed to be hiring unqualified or retired teachers. VECs won't pay these unless we have fulfilled criteria i.e. advertised and failed to get any.
    However I can tell you its bloody hard to find a sub at the moment in certain subjects e..g irish, maths, home ec, french etc.
    Also subs love sending in CVs but lots don't answer calls, don't want 1 day here or there etc. So sometimes it is necessary to hire unqualified people.
    Its all well and good saying there are loads of teachers out of work but I find it hard to see too many queuing up at my office looking for work to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

This proves that the TC is a total waste of money. We pay subs to them each year and the main reason we do this is the threat held over us that only teachers registered will be paid from oireachtas funds. This is the fault of the teaching council - noone else.

when the act will be enacted last this year, you will see the non payment taking place.
    Unless there is no alternative, always remember that. Try finding a sub irish teacher for the week of the orals.

I've three friends who are NQT Irish teachers , they didn't get any calls during the orals despite having innondated schools in many counties . Perhaps you didn't look hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭caroline72

I've three friends who are NQT Irish teachers , they didn't get any calls during the mocks despite having innondated schools in many counties . Perhaps you didn't look hard enough.

It is for the Orals they would be looking for Irish teachers, not the mocks. Orals are held first/second week back after Easter, depending on location of school.

I made a mistake . Thank you for correcting me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, one of the best teachers I had in secondary school was unqualified. She just had a passion for and brilliant knowledge of the subject matter. I'd attribute the A I got in my leaving cert to her and not the holder of the PGDE whose maternity leave she was covering.

That's another topic regarding the suitability of people as teachers which unfortunately can't be tested until they actually teach in the school. I too had an unqualified teacher for my leaving cert and she/ he was an amazing teacher . The problem is that unqualified and unvetted people are getting in instead of the qualified and vetted . It's so wrong .

and I agree with you, qualified should get the job first but there are situations where we cannot find anyone else.
    Nothing worse than ringing a pile of CVs that people sent the week before and have a litany of excuses such as its not worth coming to you for 1 day etc. Don't people have any idea of the whole "foot in the door" lark

Well I hope you make a point of never calling them again Thedriver. My friends and I jump at the chance of a day no matter what. I've even known to teach anything including maths and Irish if I have to :D Which are not my degree subjects :) Anything to be flexible so I might get a call back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I know a guy who has a pass degree in Irish and he has managed to get into a secondary school from the start of March till the summer holidays.

He has absolutely no teaching qualifications. All he has is connections and a few days here and there doing a spot of subbing.

I'm sure there are plenty of teachers out there that would jump at the chance to get a 3 month stint in a school. Is secondary the same as primary with regard to unqualified subbing? I had assumed it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

Iv heard of a number of schools lately in the midlands area who can't get subs. Time to start cold calling schools is now. Ye won't get work on boards. And if people get a day they should take it, might only have 50 quid profit but it's better than sitting on ur arse at home.

I know a guy who has a pass degree in Irish and he has managed to get into a secondary school from the start of March till the summer holidays.

He has absolutely no teaching qualifications. All he has is connections and a few days here and there doing a spot of subbing.

I'm sure there are plenty of teachers out there that would jump at the chance to get a 3 month stint in a school. Is secondary the same as primary with regard to unqualified subbing? I had assumed it was.

Like I said, I would take on someone with any bit of Irish in their degree as thats the best we can get at the moment.

Crappy Irish > No Irish

P.S. Don't cold call schools, send email or something, particularly if you have rare subjects.
    And check educationposts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I have to agree with the Driver. My school advertised for 3 weeks looking for teachers for 3 different people going on maternity leave. Eventually we got people but it took ages leveing classes with no teacher. One of those people is unqualified but in fairness she was the only one available (german national for a german teaching job). The jobs were from Jan onwards so it would have been worth the time to relocate, but not many applied at all !!

and I would say the teaching council is very handy because people have all different types of educaton qualifications including british and further afield and people are very cute at persuading you they are "qualified" however are you teaching council registered draws a line under it and asking them for their TC number really shuts them up, its a case of either put up or shut up.
    So they have 1 use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

In college at the moment, not doing teaching, but Engineering.

Most PhD students we have had lecturing/giving tutorials over the last few years have been excellent, and they were all decent.

As far as I know they didn't also have a teaching degree. As such, I believe that a copped on person, with a degree related to the subject area should be well capable of teaching it at leaving cert level. Speaking of technical subjects really, not sure about languages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've three friends who are NQT Irish teachers , they didn't get any calls during the orals despite having innondated schools in many counties .

Are you serious? Well the orals haven't happened yet so you must be talking about last year. I know of at least two schools in Cork who can't get Irish teachers. I was offered a good few jobs but decided to go back and do the PDE. Schools had no trouble hiring an unqualified person.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Most PhD students we have had lecturing/giving tutorials over the last few years have been excellent, and they were all decent.

As far as I know they didn't also have a teaching degree. As such, I believe that a copped on person, with a degree related to the subject area should be well capable of teaching it at leaving cert level. Speaking of technical subjects really, not sure about languages.

You can't really compare lecturing with teaching. You can argue you can do it without training, but a lot do it badly without some sort of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

In principle I agree with your outrage but more so over the fact that person had no teaching experience and got the job through a connection...

I find some people with BAs have quite a bit of teaching experience at times depending and can be just as good teachers as someone with an HDip. For me it's all about the teaching experience, to be honest. If you have a BA you fullfill minimum requirements to be a substitute teacher at least. How is it relevant whether someone has an HDip or not when it comes to quality of teaching as long as they have teaching experience? An HDip is no guarantee someone will be a good teacher... Experience with teaching however will at least guarantee that person can handle themselves in the classroom.

In principle I agree with your outrage but more so over the fact that person had no teaching experience and got the job through a connection...

I find some people with BAs have quite a bit of teaching experience at times depending and can be just as good teachers as someone with an HDip. For me it's all about the teaching experience, to be honest. If you have a BA you fullfill minimum requirements to be a substitute teacher at least. How is it relevant whether someone has an HDip or not when it comes to quality of teaching as long as they have teaching experience? An HDip is no guarantee someone will be a good teacher... Experience with teaching however will at least guarantee that person can handle themselves in the classroom.

Sure if that's how people should be hired, why should anyone do the dip at all? Why bother getting a teaching qualification.

True, there are some people out there who are good teachers who do not have any teaching qualifications, but there are plenty who are chancing their arm, so why should they be hired ahead of people who've actually bothered to go and get the qualifications?

Sure if that's how people should be hired, why should anyone do the dip at all? Why bother getting a teaching qualification.

True, there are some people out there who are good teachers who do not have any teaching qualifications, but there are plenty who are chancing their arm, so why should they be hired ahead of people who've actually bothered to go and get the qualifications?

Aye, second that, the days of having a good deal of experience minus a PGDE are coming to an end. Unless of course you 'know' someone...

• Advertisement

Hmm is this a case of Engineers trying to come in here takin our jobs again...

If you wanna be an engineer, be an engineer, if you wanna be a teacher do a HDip. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Not to mention who have spent the €6500 on getting their PDGE.

Also, teaching is far far far more then knowledge of subject matter. If that was the case of course anyone with a degree would be qualified. Sometimes I think that the actual teaching is the lowest constituent part of my job.

thats my point about the blasted "qualified in maths" lark that we keep hearing, its all well and good having a brilliant mathematician but if they can't keep the lads quiet and in line, then whats the point. They need a constructive well ordered classroom to learn and not a nut house.
    Unfortunately, discipline and control is where the start is and is an integral part of teaching, subject matter is much easier to get across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Indeed it is not unreasonable to believe that "a copped on person with a degree related to the subject area should be well capable of teaching it at leaving cert level". But the idea that they could - without any training - do so just as well as someone with training is delusional. Sometimes it takes someone to actually go through teacher training to understand that there's a bit more to teaching than knowing your stuff and showing up.

Comparisons with PhD students giving tutorials or anyone giving a lecture are pointless. Teaching in a Post-Primary school is an entirely different skilll and experience to tutoring or lecturing at third-level despite any superficial similarities. In the latter environment you'll get Master's students giving first year tutorials - yet the same person would be chewed up and spat out in many a post-primary school setting.

At Post-Primary level, oddly enough, 'knowing' stuff' is actually less significant than how you put it across to a large group often with differing learning styles, intellectual capacities, and interest in even being there. I had many excellent lecturers in college - many of them eminent publicly known academics - but on the basis of what I saw of them in that setting they wouldn't last p*ssing time in a class-room. Unless they utterly changed their approach and learned a new set of coping skills of course.

If you have a BA you fullfill minimum requirements to be a substitute teacher at least.

Which part of the teaching council regulations states this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Does all this "unqualified teacher" talk extend to the large number of people who, while having the HDip/PGDE/PDE, are not qualified to teach the subject which they are currently teaching (i.e. they have at least 54 degree credits/one-third of their degree in the subject they're teaching)?

If it does, the number of "unqualified teachers" in Irish schools is quite enormous.

Seanchai wrote: »
    Does all this "unqualified teacher" talk extend to the large number of people who, while having the HDip/PGDE/PDE, are not qualified to teach the subject which they are currently teaching (i.e. they have at least 54 degree credits/one-third of their degree in the subject they're teaching)?

If it does, the number of "unqualified teachers" in Irish schools is quite enormous.

We'll have to take your word on the sort of numbers involved but I think the short answer to your question is 'no' - it does not extend to cover people who are not registered to teach a subject.

Why not? Because the government will never provide the funds to supply enough teachers to provide a fully registered teacher for every subject that can potentially be offered. So unfortunately the objection you have has no real basis in practice as it is an unrealistic expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

anndub wrote: »
    Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, one of the best teachers I had in secondary school was unqualified. She just had a passion for and brilliant knowledge of the subject matter. I'd attribute the A I got in my leaving cert to her and not the holder of the PGDE whose maternity leave she was covering.

This is what I mean - I would be very much against excluding good teachers from the teaching pool because they don't have an HDip. If you have teaching experience and you have a passion for your subject, that should be enough, at least for subbing!

I am biased here since I have taught for years and don't have an HDip. I have a BA and a couple of years of teaching experience in language schools, university and primary school. Does that not make me suitable to teach in some ways? You decide. Judging on the feedback I get from the students, I'd say I'm doing ok...

This is what I mean - I would be very much against excluding good teachers from the teaching pool because they don't have an HDip. If you have teaching experience and you have a passion for your subject, that should be enough, at least for subbing!

I am biased here since I have taught for years and don't have an HDip. I have a BA and a couple of years of teaching experience in language schools, university and primary school. Does that not make me suitable to teach in some ways? You decide. Judging on the feedback I get from the students, I'd say I'm doing ok...

If there are people out there who are that good why don't they just formalise their ability by getting a qualification- they should find it easy if they're that good. Plenty of others have got the qualification AND are good teachers. We expect qualifications in just about every other profession. Why not teaching? And why should subbing be any different? If your doctor is sick and there's a locum in their place you expect the locum to be equally qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

I think it's odd that people consider subbing to be some kind of easier ride, where qualifications and experience don't matter as much; I subbed both before and after I qualified as a secondary teacher and it was incredibly challenging - the only difference being that post-qualification I had some better ideas of classroom management strategies, ideas for short one-class activities etc...as we all know, subbing can be hell-ish - walking into a class of 30 teenagers you don't know, many of whom will spend the best part of the following 40 minutes trying to test your boundaries... I think if I was a principal I'd be looking for someone with as many qualifications and as much experience as possible in order to make my own life easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I would have to agree with rainbowtrout here.

If it is your passion and you are so good at it, why not want to put yourself on the same footing as other qualified teachers and then be available for your perfect job.

If someone has a real natural flare for the job then brilliant get them in the school I love the people that are like that working in my school however they must be qualified.

Just because you are teaching does not make you a teacher. If you are not qualified you are not a teacher, you are an unqualified person teaching and nothing more, no matter how good you are at it

If I want to be an electrician I need to get qualified and do my apprenticeship, same with a carpenter, need to qualify to be a dentist, doctor, accountant, the list goes on, yes I could go along and bluff it and it could turn out to be my ideal job but in the end of the day I am not qualified to do it.
    I would not let an electrician that has not been trained wire my house, or a doctor look at me that isn't qualified.
    Why should teaching be any different, because it's such an easy job that anyone can do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

I wouldnt have said this last month but I really agree with what the Driver has said here... I just got a job for the rest of the year teaching maths, thank GOD!!!! but since then I've had two calls about subbing. This was after getting no work alll year!!!!!!

The second call was for an irish position. I studied Irish in the first year of my degree but have never taught it. This principal called me three times over two days. It took me so long getting back to them because I had left my phone in a friends house overnight. They even tried calling my home number but I dont live there anymore and it took awhile for the message to reach me with a phone. This principal was completely stuck for someone to teach irish and in that situation its much better to get someone with cupla focal.

Butthe school I'm now teaching in went out of their way to find two qualified sub teachers of english when I know they have a long term sub teacher with unrelated subjects who is really annoyed that they havent been able to get regular work. They could have given that sub teacher those hours to the end of the year, after all it could be argued that anyone can teach JC English, but they didnt.

Every situation is different.

lestat21 wrote: »

after all it could be argued that anyone can teach JC English,

Only someone who has not had to do it would attempt to make such an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

It could be argued... bt i obviously wasnt saying that.. :) Its just nice to see a school going out of there way to find subject qualified and registered teachers after everything u hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 adameen

It's a disgrace that a principals son doing a h dip or someone who has connections as mentioned on this thread is getting substitute work over qualified teachers.

If the principals son is doing adhoc subsitute work to cover miscellaneous days that work should firstly be given to a qualifed teacher in that subject in the school who is not on full hours (as is the case in a lot of schools now) - the work should go to them first provided they are free at those times - any classes they are free for should be given to them first (until they are at 22 hours for that week) and then only the remaining classes left should be available for another teacher .

If this fails, - Secondly a qualified sub in that subject should be sought.

If no luck there - the work ad hoc sub work shoudl go to qualified staff not on full hours in the staff. (very unfair on them not to be considered for that work before an unqualifed h dip student - they aren't on a full wage - unlike the principal)

Finally if all else fails and only then should an unqualified teacher be sought - preferably in that subject area.

Often for miscellaneous days like that teachers have work left anyhow so qualifed teachers distribute it and just have to exercise classroom management skills and ensure students are working.

Pay roll, - whether it is private schools, department of education - voluntary secondary schools, community schools or vec schools should question employing an unqualified sub[/B - Where is their accountability or why? are they turning a blind eye to it?? Surely the unqualified sub has to submit parchments - degree and h dip ones to be paid? if no h dip parchment then why is this not being questioned? why allow an unqualified sub to continue doing sub work at expense of qualified teachers???

Certaintly it shouldnt be happening regularly and should be very short term if at all! and every effort should be made to continue searching for a qualified sub after the unqualified sub has been taken on.

Too often principals are indifferent and suit themselves. I thought that now you had to prove you sought a qualifed sub. Who is to say cv's are not being binned to favour a relative or someone with connections? How are the department of education and vec's letting this happen??? In my opinion principals have way too much power in areas like this and it can be abused and is being abused.

What use are the teaching council if this is happening?

All hiring of teachers including ad hoc substitute days should be done from a centralised base to remove any bias or element of abuse. This base should also have part time teachers timetables to check if free to cover any miscellaneous substitute classes to bring up their hours when possible.

If the department of educatin payroll are not picking up this abuse or are indifferent to it there should be some forum where teachers can anonymously report schools and principals for this abuse - the evidence will be in the payroll.

Also it should be checked that certain part time qualified teachers are not being favoured or unfavoured in getting this substitute work - very unfair to always call on the same people and leave other part time qualified teachers who would be delighted at the chance of an extra few bob out. Principals can do this if for some reason they take a set on a particular part time teacher. extremely unfair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement