Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiring of unqualified teachers still continuing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

perfect work maybe but try filling classes at 8:50 in the morning. Also if we are popping offsite for meetings etc, then its easier to get someone in. Although they should be qualified and in that subject, it doesn't always happen and remember a teacher ringing in sick doesn't give us a lot of time to sort this all out. Also some subs don't want the work or bothered with it.
    Though agree with you about the principals son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 adameen

Perhaps easier for you if you are management - less work perhaps! but that is not a reason not to include or ask part time teachers if they are interested in the sub work. You are on a full salary if you are management.

Why not ask the qualified part time teachers if they are interested in ad hoc sub work? i would imagine the majority would be?

i thought if a teacher rang in sick this was covered under supervision substitution scheme? an outsider would not be covered in this case for day 1?

you could alert interested qualified part time teachers if wished to be considered for day 2 or 3 to be in early the next day (to be alert to the fact that you might get a call from the sick teacher that wouldnt be in again and to be available for the work if interested.
    I am not fully sure but i think day 2 and 3 is uncertified sick leave and a sub is payable. often the teacher would have a cert for day 2 and 3 and onwards if necessary.

Also what about inservices? You know in advance when these are on. These hours should be given to existing qualified part time teachers in the school first - see the order in my previous post.

most part time teachers I know are very interested in any extra hours sub work they can get.

Meetings - if you mean you leaving the school to attend a meeting how often does that happen? would the deputy not fill in then and look at the part time teachers timetable to see when available for sub work etc etc - and fill the sub work according to the order of my previous post. or visa versa. or is it the case principals/deputy principals always taking the easy or convenient or perhaps biased way out?

If you are away who does the supervision/substitution rota for teachers gone to matches/trips etc etc - do you get outsiders to come in because this is easier - i doubt it because they cant be paid from the supervision/substitution scheme. You might say these are known in advance but what if a match is put forward, a trip is changed etc etc. also even if you are away or going away that morning if you have the part time teachers timetable in front of you not too difficult to note the free classes and give
    them the hours. many part time teachers are in early anyhow and certaintly more would be in first class if thought were going to be considered for ad hoc sub work instead of being written off to unqualifed subs or h.dip students with connections

forget about "easier to get someone in" it is ok to say that when you are on full hours and full pay (assumption if you are management) - what about all the qualified part time teachers looking to earn a full time salary in any particular week - the onus should be on giving qualified part time teachers full 22 hours any week that extra substitute hours are available. that is the bottom line.

Also you assume they are not interested in extra sub work to bring them up to 22 hours work and pay in any particular week?
    that is not my experience from talking to teachers in staff rooms. They would jump at the extra work but too often are not even considered or asked and would be in at the crack of dawn if thought was a chance would be asked to do the sub work. very disillusioning to see it go to others all of the time.

from your posts you seem to be extremely defensive about unqualifed staff being employed in schools

This practice causes a lot of resentment in schools. Part time teachers are often very vunlerable to the actions of the principal and very often keep their heads down for fear of losing hours the following year if they are seen to question managements (often corrupt or biased) practices

Advertisement