Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this HTC offer from O2 good?

Options
  • 14-03-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Mrs and myself due two silver upgrades from O2.

Have been offered the HTC Radar and the HTC Rhyme for nothing on an 18 mth contract.

Should be €40.65/ mth per phone, but we can get it for €20.33/mth.

These will be the 1st Android/windows phones we have used.

Usual stuff - facebook, email, google, games, musie, etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hi there,

The packages you mention include 150 MB of data which is not enough for normal smartphone usage. You run a huge risk of bill shock.

The phones you mention are very low of the range.

Have you checked out the bill pay offers from other providers?

Are you interested in any other phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

The phones are all right it you just want Facebook and casual games. But if you only have 150mb of internet you have a very big chance of dropping dead when you see the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I rarely use more than 50 mb a month on my HTC desire thanks to wifi at home and in work combined with rare public transport commutes.
    Ymmv applies :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

pigeon999 wrote: »
    The phones are all right it you just want Facebook and casual games. But if you only have 150mb of internet you have a very big chance of dropping dead when you see the bill.

150 mb of data!! Do o2 know this is 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Thanks for the replies.

I take it there is some way you can turn off the internet so that you do not exceed the data allowance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

paulgalway wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I take it there is some way you can turn off the internet so that you do not exceed the data allowance?
    Yeah there is, if you want, it really depends on what your looking for and what your usage is. There's also apps like 3g watchdog that monitor the data usage and can warn or stop data at user defined setting.
    Personally I use my phone to browse limited Internet, possibly maps or public transport times. I leave YouTube and downloads to the laptop or pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Those phones are not low range phones. In fact, there's currently no low range Windows Phones. The Rhyme is certainly not a low range Android model (The likes of the Samsung Galaxy Mini and Y would be that, and perhaps the Wildfire S).

I personally prefer Windows as it is better for Facebook and for Games. Music comes down to if you like Zune, which I am not mad about, but it's perfectly serviceable. The Radar only has 8gb of storage though, where the Rhyme has a memory card slot upgradable to 32gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Fungus wrote: »
    Hi there,

The packages you mention include 150 MB of data which is not enough for normal smartphone usage. You run a huge risk of bill shock.

I beg to differ although I thought the same when I moved to All in 150 package. I have the HTC Radar Windows Phone.

Its a great phone (I used to have an iPhone 3GS), Windows is very easy to use especially for a first time user with its simple clean layout.

There are not as many apps as iPhone or android options but don't miss that too much.

The data plan is surprisingly ok, I check my email automatically every hour, I use twitter quite a bit and browse a lot of websites on my phone and I have never gone over it since buying the phone in November 2011.

The 8GB limit on the Radar is not an issue, how much music/photos etc do you need to carry on your phone? Also the camera and video are very good.

In summing up go for it although I have not used the Android phone yet.

O2 also setup data usage notification alerts so you know when you go over your limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Fungus wrote: »
    Hi there,

ye ur goin to have 2 be on wifi alot. just make sure dat ur remember that. it will cost loads above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I really couldn't recommend the Rhyme. Its not the best phone in terms of smooth operation. The one i was using was extremely choppy to operate. Not all the time, but way too much lag operating the phone. The radar might be a better choice, would run much more smoother and has a better newer camera sensor.

Also as the rest said 150mb is an absolute joke...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Look at the plans on offer from 3, if u can get signal, best smartphone offers available. I originally got my first smartphone on o2 and the bills really creep up once u get used to using the phone. I changed to 3 and not having to worry about exceeding my data allowance or general monthly bill is such a bonus. If getting smartphone,would recommend getting the newest HTC available, as 18 months is a long time(+ I'm sick of mine now!). The one series are out next month,might b worth waiting for...

Advertisement