Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

besides Howth, where do YOU buy fresh fish in Dublin?

Options
  • 14-03-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but things change and all that.

So... I love fish. But I am very disappointed with the quality of fish today. OK at the moment I am buying in Aldi. Not bad at all, but I've tried all the supermarkets, and honestly, it is not great.

Whenever I've been to UK I cannot get over how fresh the fish is, even in the chipper in Birmingham, which is miles from the sea!

We don't seem to get that much here, although I'm sure there are exceptions.

So, my question is this -

Where can I buy nice fresh fish, filleted and boned and not too long from the peir, in Dublin? I know bout Cavistons in Glasthule, and Howth, too far for me, am in the city, so I should know better.

Thanks for the heads up folks. Just looking forward to a bit of fresh fish.

No wonder as an island nation we are low on fish eating, if it is difficult to source fresh stuff. Even Martin fishy fishy ( RTE1) says the same thing. I'll get off my hobbyhorse now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Kish in Smithfield, M&S, Fallon & Byrne or the seafood counter at the Asian supermarket on Abbey Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

There is a good plaice up in Cabra beside AIB 5 Monkfish fillets for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

The Ice Box at the end of the coal pier (think that's the name) in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Giles' in Phibsboro or McAllisters in Lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hootanany wrote: »
    There is a good plaice up in Cabra beside AIB 5 Monkfish fillets for a tenner.

I know it's a typo ;) but that's brilliant! Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

wrights in marino or one of the stalls on moore steet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I get mine in Kish, which is around the corner from me.

Previous to that, I used to live in Dun laoghaire and got my fish from the fishmongers in the town or the icebox down on the pier.

Basically, if you want fresh fish, get it from a fishmongers, not a supermarket, with the odd exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Kish Fish in Bow street in Smithfield is great - get there before 1pm on Saturday though
    Wrights of Marino is good too..
    Superquin if I'm stuck. not awful and they always have an offer on something..

Is there somewhere in Coolock or ballysomething somewhere thats serves the trade? Where did the old fish market from Smithfield go? It has to have gone somewhere....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Shhh wrote: »
    Is there somewhere in Coolock or ballysomething somewhere thats serves the trade? Where did the old fish market from Smithfield go? It has to have gone somewhere....

Kish have a place in Coolock - more or less behind LIDL.
    The fish market is now in Howth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I know it's a typo ;) but that's brilliant! Thanks for the tip.

Let minnow how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Degsy wrote: »
    Let minnow how you get on.

your a wrasscal

I'm just going to hop in my carp and go get some..

I've haddock nough of whiting in this plaice.
    Home soon,better get my skates on or salmon will give out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I've haddock nough of whiting in this plaice.
    Home soon,better get my skates on or salmon will give out to me.

Is your first name Ray, or are you codding me?

I was looking for my fishmonger and I flounder then I lobster again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Salmon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

Hey all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but things change and all that.

So... I love fish. But I am very disappointed with the quality of fish today. OK at the moment I am buying in Aldi. Not bad at all, but I've tried all the supermarkets, and honestly, it is not great.

Whenever I've been to UK I cannot get over how fresh the fish is, even in the chipper in Birmingham, which is miles from the sea!

We don't seem to get that much here, although I'm sure there are exceptions.

So, my question is this -

Where can I buy nice fresh fish, filleted and boned and not too long from the peir, in Dublin? I know bout Cavistons in Glasthule, and Howth, too far for me, am in the city, so I should know better.

Thanks for the heads up folks. Just looking forward to a bit of fresh fish.

No wonder as an island nation we are low on fish eating, if it is difficult to source fresh stuff. Even Martin fishy fishy ( RTE1) says the same thing. I'll get off my hobbyhorse now.

Fitsimons at crumlin x or connollys upper rathmines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Some of you lads need to go back to skool ye are making this into one big caper, seriously snapper out of it

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Some of you lads need to go back to skool ye are making this into one big caper, seriously snapper out of it

So you've bream listening in?
    Its shrimply not good enough..for fcuck's hake.

There's a tench of desperation about you trout this thread.

I've said my piece..you mullet over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

growth pier has a good selection of shops. I go out every couple of months and stock up for the freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

SBWife wrote: »
    Kish in Smithfield, M&S, Fallon & Byrne or the seafood counter at the Asian supermarket on Abbey Street.

That Asian supermarket has the weirdest looking fish Ive ever seen! I wouldnt know where to even begin!

I can go inot fish shops. The smell makes me ill. Im happy to cook it at home but Id yak if I had to go into a shop. Theres one in Fairview that I have to hold my breath when I pass and one on Moore Street as well. That one took me by surprise...it wasnt pretty. :(

Fallon & Byrne as its not overpoweringly fishy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

So you've bream listening in?
    Its shrimply not good enough..for fcuck's hake.

There's a tench of desperation about you trout this thread.

I've said my piece..you mullet over.

will you get your skates on and get off your high seahorse, your quickly gonna make anemone of me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Mortons in Ranelagh is quite good, but a little expensive sometimes.

luckyfrank wrote: »
    will you get your skates on and get off your high seahorse, your quickly gonna make anemone of me

Let's head off in my carp and get outta this plaice just for the halibut..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Shhh wrote: »
    Let's head off in my carp and get outta this plaice just for the halibut..

Tuna think there's been enough puns for one thread? I sardinely do.
    I'll stop carping now, but the next poster of the next pun should put in their plaice and be fined a squid.

Yakuza wrote: »
    Tuna think there's been enough puns for one thread? I sardinely do.
    I'll stop carping now, but the next poster of the next pun should put in their plaice and be fined a squid.

I think this thread has roached the end. People are plainly floundering and starting to get crabby.

Actually i cant beleive what i'm herring..perch-chance it should be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

wrights in marino or one of the stalls on moore steet

I find the former a tad expensive and at the market it smells a bit. fresh fish should not smell.
    its sad that fish is so expensive when we are an island nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

That Asian supermarket has the weirdest looking fish Ive ever seen! I wouldnt know where to even begin!

I can go inot fish shops. The smell makes me ill. Im happy to cook it at home but Id yak if I had to go into a shop. Theres one in Fairview that I have to hold my breath when I pass and one on Moore Street as well. That one took me by surprise...it wasnt pretty. :(

Fallon & Byrne as its not overpoweringly fishy.

Eastern European shops can be good as well. I like the dried tuna and squid they have there. goes well with beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

At the risk of sounding koi, local butchers usually have a fishmonger section in store, so no need to trawl the seven seas for one.

Sandymount village has a great butcher and they do really good fresh fish, but it'll cost you a few squid, but it's worth it, especially if you ask for a selection and they'll give you an ice box and fillet with all sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yep, any decent local butcher will have a selection

Mine tells me this is the time of year to get mackerel

But he finds it very hard to get haddock for me, I like my haddock :)

Advertisement