Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else's dog get car sick?

• 14-03-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

11 month old Retriever who suffers from travel sickness :(

He's always fasting when we travel (unfortunately we don't go too far!) but he still gets sick.

The thing is he loves the car and happily jumps in once the door is open. He's in a harness in the front seat...I haven't tried crating him in the car but I think that would be worse?

Does anyone have any remedies/suggestions? Is it worth getting something from the vet?

It's awful because there are so many nice woods and beaches we could take him but we don't take him anywhere :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Helen1976

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

ours got travel sick but we put her bed in the car and don't feed her the morning before we take her out. Short journeys with a good run around at the end and we have been able extend the trips out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I would take him out of the front seat.. What car have you got, would the boot be an option with the cover off, or the back seat? The front seat for a retriever is very small, giving him no space at all to move if she wants.

Try short journeys at a time, settling the dog in the car. Just out and around the block and back at first... then longer and longer as time goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hi Helen,

One of my dogs can get car sick, just because she stresses out travelling -- all I do is make sure she's not eaten a good while before getting into the car. I make sure there's a window or two open so that there's an outside breeze to keep things cool and if possible someone sits in beside her as it helps keep her calm.

I think some people may use a form of rescue remedy for dogs (I've no personal experience with it). I think with my dog it's not travel sickness but more that she doesn't like travelling, so if I were to suggest trying really short trips with lots of praise it may not help as your dog seems to be happy to get into the car.
    I've no experience with crating in the car so I'm afraid I cannot comment on that part either.

Have you spoken to your vet at all about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is the windows open or closed? Speaking as a human who used to get travel sickness, if the window was open a little bit and fresh air came in, I'd be okay. When I brooght my westie (RIP) to the local green areas, I'd have the windows open an inch or two and she's be usually content. Also helped if I had music on, as she'd lie/sit down and be more calm.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I have tried him in the boot (Audi estate) but it made no difference :(

I always keep the window open beside him too.

Come to think of it, the only 2 times he didn't puke in the car was at night...I wonder does darkness help? Not much help if I want to bring him to the beach for a run mind you :)

I haven't spoken to the vet about it at all yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Can I ask when your dog gets fed? (time wise)

Just curious if maybe the dog's on an early empty stomach they'll throw up bile etc.
    Whereas if it's at night, they've a full tummy, but it's not 'just' eaten, it's a while in there.

At night are you in a well lit area or is it very dark?
    If it's very dark, then another thing could be if he can see the world moving past fast out the window during the day, making him feel sick, whereas if it's very dark he may not see the same way.
    (you know the way some people get dizzy seeing things speed past / rotate).

If it is seeing things out the window, you could try maybe putting those shades for children up on the windows? so he can't really see out?

I was only mentioning the vet in case when you've tried everything they might be able to suggest something that'd help with travel sickness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Gingernut biccie.

Seriously, try a plain gingernut biscuit - just one - about 15 mins before you go. Worst that'll happen is he'll spew gingernut. Best is he won't spew at all. (If he's a retriever you might try two, but no more than two.)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

My Sister has a dog who gets car sick & she has tried tablets etc,but nothing worked.
    Now if she is planning a trip,she feeds the dog about 4hrs before they travel.Then she puts a plastic dog bed in the boot lined with newspaper,she also has a plastic liner protecting the boot.When she gets to her destination there is lots of drool ,& she just puts new paper in the bed.

Star-pants, he gets fed at 9am and 5pm but if I'm going to the vet, etc in the morning, he's fasting from the night before hence the other morning he puked bile :(

I was thinking back to my own days of morning sickness and I thought I might try the Ginger Nut biscuits alright...

Someone else suggested Bach's Rescue Remedy but I don't know if you can give it to dogs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

My girl got sick nearly every time she got into the car until she reached the age of one. Now she has no problems travelling. Try not feeding him/her before travelling.

Advertisement