Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tempest 11 - NewPort Cafe Bar, Paul St, Cork - 24/03/12

Options
  • 14-03-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

With a bit shorter notice than usual, Tempest is back for March.

As the standard there'll be a main Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition Version 2012 tournament plus a side event. Street Fighter X Tekken will be this month's side event to celebrate its release. UV Paint is encouraged for all those entering, but not required.

As a special note, there is a chance this will be the last Tempest I'll be running as I'll hopefully be moving to Japan next month. May not happen, but here's hoping. To celebrate the occasion, there's going to be medals for the top placers. Top 2 in SF4 and Top 1 in SFxT.

I've reverted the price structure back to the old format - I think the €15 was causing more harm than good.

And finally, the long awaited draw for the Raffle will be happening at this event. If you haven't heard about that, go read its thread. All the money raised goes back into the community fund to help run future Tempests!

SSFIV details:

Entry is €10 to the Street Fighter 4 tournament.

Casuals and registration start from 12.00. The tournament itself will start at 13.00.

SFxT Details:

The Street Fighter x Tekken tournament will cost €5 to enter and prizes will be given to the top two placers.

Registration will be taken towards the end of the SSFIV tournament - somewhere around 15.30 - 16.00.

Both tournaments will be run exclusively on Xbox 360s.

There'll be a couple of extra pads on hand for those without, but please bring your own controller of choice if possible.

Anyone who can bring equipment (Games, consoles, monitors, etc) please do so!

If anyone needs to contact me and wants my mobile number, PM me.

The seed list will be up later as soon as I get back to my Hard Drive.

Here's a quick map of the venue in relation to the bus and train stations.

SFCorkMap.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Rules are as follows:

SSFIV:

Prize pot will be split 60/30/10 among the top 3 finishers.

The tournament format is a group stage followed by a double elimination brackets stage.

Each match will be best of 3 games and each game is best of 3 rounds. The third game of a match will only be played in the event of a tie after the second game. If one player wins the first 2 games the third game is not played.

Time is set to 99 seconds.

Street Fighter x Tekken:

Prize pot will be split 70/30 among the top 2 finishers.

The tournament format is double elimination. (No groups)

Each match will be best of 3 games and each game is best of 3 rounds. The third game of a match will only be played in the event of a tie after the second game. If one player wins the first 2 games the third game is not played.

Time is set to 99 seconds.

All Gems are disabled.

1. All characters are selectable.

2. Custom controllers and button configuration is allowed.

3. Turbo is banned. Anyone who is caught using this feature will be disqualified.

4. Players can change characters in each set. However once a set has started they may only change characters after losing a game. The winner of the first game must stick to the character they started the game with and may only change if he loses the second game, in which case the winner of the second game must then stick to the character he used in the second game.

5. Double Blind select available in the event of people being concerned about counter picking. An admin will assist with this if required.

6. Rock, paper, scissors is used in the event of people being unable to agree on which side they want to sit on.

7. In the event of a player pausing a game during a round or his stick/pad fails during a round, he forfeits the round unless both players agree to carry on. If there is a dispute an admin will resolve the dispute.

8. In the event of a game ending in a draw, the game will scrapped and not counted towards the results. It will then be replayed.

9. Players who are overly disruptive during a competition or who are distracting other players can be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament admins.

10. No food can be eaten in the venue that was not bought on the premises.

As an extra note - can anyone planning on bringing a console to the event make a Gemless build of every character in SFxT before the tournament?

I really don't want to have to do it before the tournament in the venue - god knows there's enough to do already.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Excellent, see y'all then. I would actually make every character gemless and bring my console but like I said before my console is falling apart :(.
    Would it work if I brought my memory unit with the gemless characters saved and just load the game from the memory unit on someone else's console? :confused:

Btw got my hands a laptop so I might be able to record the matches using the recording device I have. Gonna see if it works on my laptop properly, I'll test it out closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I'll be there, Xbox in tow as always.

I suppose I could use another account on my Xbox for a gemless version of SFxT as I don't want to mess with the gem settings on my main profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Should be along. Still no xbox so I will not have played the game in quite some time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'll be there, Xbox in tow as always.

I suppose I could use another account on my Xbox for a gemless version of SFxT as I don't want to mess with the gem settings on my main profile.

You only need to empty 1 preset for each character. You can still have the gems you use on the other preset.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

I'll be down for this. Also Sairus can you bring the ps2 converter as well I'm gonna try my ps2 pad because your one is broken? :pac:

VizardAnto wrote: »
    I'll be down for this. Also Sairus can you bring the ps2 converter as well I'm gonna try my ps2 pad because your one is broken? :pac:

Sounds good! :D

Also, can I borrow a copy of SFxT off someone to set up some Gemless characters?

Sairus wrote: »
    Sounds good! :D

Also, can I borrow a copy of SFxT off someone to set up some Gemless characters?

Nice one.I can lend you my copy when do you need it? I'll be in town tuesday - friday and obv on sat :rolleyes: maybe grab that converter for borrow while where at it :P

Wednesday would be lovely. I am alas busy with college most of the rest of the time.

• Advertisement

Wednesday would be lovely. I am alas busy with college most of the rest of the time.

I have a 2 hour break from 11:30 to 1:30 so I can meet you around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Shokashi

i dont suppose there will be any casuals held anywhere during the week before the last-ish tempest, it would be nice cause it would be the last pre casuals before tempest is finished

VizardAnto wrote: »
    I have a 2 hour break from 11:30 to 1:30 so I can meet you around that time.
    Cheers. I'll be at my house all hat day, so give me a call whenever you're around and I can come get it off yis.

Shokashi wrote: »
    i dont suppose there will be any casuals held anywhere during the week before the last-ish tempest, it would be nice cause it would be the last pre casuals before tempest is finished

Who said there would be no more Tempests just because Sairus is gone?

Who said there would be no more Tempests just because Sairus is gone?

I was going to say just that but I was rushing out the door in my last post!

I'll hopefully not be here after this month, but I'm not raffling off all my games and **** for nothing! Hopefully someone will man up and run them if I'm not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Speedhaak

Will be there. I'll try and sort out that Roxio Game Recoding device prior to the event this time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I was going to say just that but I was rushing out the door in my last post!

I'll hopefully not be here after this month, but I'm not raffling off all my games and **** for nothing! Hopefully someone will man up and run them if I'm not here.

Inferno would have been dead before it even really got going if people'd just given up on it when the oringal organiser stopped....

If Haak can bring vid equipment, it might help grow the scene too.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

Hey guys, i'll be popping down for this, hopefully to get my stick as well as get some games in, so i'll see ya'll there! I'll try not get lost on the way from the train station!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Speedhaak

I'll bring the software along anyway. If it's used then great, if not, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I'll be along.

Might be able to have some casuals in my stink shack. But it depends on how much work I can get done. I will post here if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Silver Steeez

Ill be there, will there still be raffle tickets for sale on the day ? if not can you reserve me some.

Yep. Raffle tickets can be bought on the day.

Also, cheers to Vizard coming over with his copy of SFxT. Making a gemless build for all the characters takes about 2 minutes tops, so it should be fine for events in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wtfbenson

I'll be there with an xbox and gemless build! Will likely be my last Tempest as well, sadly. Depending on the interest, we could even head back to my place afterwards for drinks and casuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Shokashi

wtfbenson wrote: »
    I'll be there with an xbox and gemless build! Will likely be my last Tempest as well, sadly. Depending on the interest, we could even head back to my place afterwards for drinks and casuals.

sounds like a plan mate,

Gah. Due to technical difficulties, there won't be medals at the event. They're still en route, so I will get them to you - just not today.

ggs everyone had fun and thank for the prizes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Salt was definitely in the air today..... :pac::pac:

GGs to everyone i played. Was awesome to see new faces too!
    Also thanks to Sairus for hosting this event multiple times, well appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Ggs guys. Thanks to Sairus for hosting the tournaments and inventing the cork fighting games community!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Deskmenu

Thanks for the great games guys, it was a lot of fun and I'll definitely try to make it again. (I'll try to be less free next time too.)
    It was a shame I had to rush out quickly to catch a train. Wish I could have played in the SFxT tourney too.

• Advertisement

I can't apologize enough to Sairus and everyone else involved for how salty I got today. It was completely out of character for me to slam my stick on the ground like I did and my behavior was unacceptable. I feel terrible for acting like a child and promise I won't do it again - the last thing I want to do is to be responsible for us losing access to the venue.

That aside, thanks for running all the tournaments Sairus, we owe you a lot for getting the Cork scene going. I hope whoever of us takes it over will ensure it continued success in future. Also, the raffle was hype, it boosted the PSP collection quite a bit ( only problem, my brother took the charger and never returned it - FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU- )

Advertisement