Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kickstarters for GAMES. future?

Options
  • 14-03-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

As you know the one kickstarter for a point a click adventure was a great WIN!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Now there is a great new kick starter for wasteland 2. A lot of fallout 2 fellas will cream their pants now. Yup, he is back and he is doing the kick starter for Wasteland 2

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

There is a lot of talks about publishers and developers on boards lately. why not to discuss this? I someone does not have idea what are those "kickstarters" then just check one of the links i gave.

I personally would love this to be future of gaming industry. Imagine a website with hundreds of projects, which are pushed by developers. Cuting out the middle man ( publisher ) and have direct line with gamers. Gamers can just fund the games they want to play! Once again you could vote with your wallet and get product you like!

i know there are bad points of such business type. like paying now and see game only in a year or two. company can burn and your investment disappear etc.
    thought still, its something nice and back to the roots of gaming. when gaming was looked at like entertainment and not just a cash machine. Would that bring respect back from both sides? i will be honest with you, as i love and respect only one developer lately and thats just a bunch of polish fellas with their CD project red!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Double Fine did really well with this fundraiser but i dont think this kind of business model will work because of a couple of things

Schafer is a really well known dev with good following and this fundraiser was pretty unique in the games industry

The main problem with this method of fund raising is essentially, will a unknown dev raise a good amount of money and will the fundraising ability of a dev not be diluted by hundreds of these fundraiser competing for funds

EDIT: 1000th post:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

NTMK wrote: »
    Double Fine did really well with this fundraiser but i dont think this kind of business model will work because of a couple of things

Schafer is a really well known dev with good following and this fundraiser was pretty unique in the games industry

The main problem with this method of fund raising is essentially, will a unknown dev raise a good amount of money and will the fundraising ability of a dev not be diluted by hundreds of these fundraiser competing for funds

EDIT: 1000th post:D

Look at wasteland 2. They got 33 more days to go amd look how much they raised. Imagine dice will come at some stage and say: lads, we want to do bf4, but the way we want it, not publisher! I bet they will get money for project really fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Destined for brief success followed by swift overexposure. Only ever going to be a model utilised for 'fan favourites'. The words Tim Schafer particularly carry a currency almost impossible to emulate. It's a weak model for newcomers / unknown developers particularly. It will allow for personalities and pre-existing ideas to flourish (nostalgia is pretty much what's behind the success of these two campaigns), but is unlikely to catch on as a mainstream source of finance. Would like to see it, but crowdsourcing is currently 'hip' and can only fade once the novelty wears off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Look at wasteland 2. They got 33 more days to go amd look how much they raised. Imagine dice will come at some stage and say: lads, we want to do bf4, but the way we want it, not publisher! I bet they will get money for project really fast.

Its interesting but Double Fine and InXile have cult followings from the founders histories. there seems to be a level of trust between the fans and the devs.

would i give them a donation if i could afford it? probably ive seen what they've been involve in and love what i played

would i give a large dev a donation? probably not if they want my money make a good game.

although i would donate if they had a new ip that interests me

looking though the website it seems like a very good idea for struggling indie devs i want to see the fallout from DF and InXile's success before i make up my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

There's very few people who could actually pull this off, top of the list being Tim Schaefer and Gabe Newell. Were someone from Bioware, Dice or a whole range of other big companies to try this on I doubt they'd be near as successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

It's only going to reliably work for proven names serving a niche that cannot be served through traditional publishing. Another big hurdle is that people are under the assumption that crowdsourcing is like investing and its not. Investing is where you put money in and hopefully get more money out later. People need to look at it like Patronage. As in you put money in and art comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Isn't DICE a wholly owned subsidiary of EA. Eitherway, I agree. Kickstarter is a great way in principle of giving power and freedom to the artist to make the best game and not the one that will sell the most DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

sarumite wrote: »
    Isn't DICE a wholly owned subsidiary of EA. Eitherway, I agree. Kickstarter is a great way of giving power and freedom to the artist to make the best game and not the one that will sell the most DLC.

Any games that have been released by Kickstarter to back that up?

Stev_o wrote: »
    Any games that have been released by Kickstarter to back that up?

If i edit it and say "in principle" would that appease you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Yup, Ill believe Kickstarter when I see the end product. It's the whole "Minecraft Beta syndrome" all over again "pay for it now and we'll make the best game EVER".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yup, Ill believe Kickstarter when I see the end product. It's the whole "Minecraft Beta syndrome" all over again "pay for it now and we'll make the best game EVER".

Indeed, just imagine how much money would have been raised for Duke Nukem Forever this way. :p

I see it in a similar vein as pre-orders myself. I would acutally cite Minecraft as a reason why it could in principle be a good way of funding games in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

And tell me in which way did it failed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

My problem with Kickstarter games is that it's a fundamentally reactionary way of funding game development. It's asking for money based on what people liked 15 years ago.

Now I love adventure games and isometric RPGs, these were a huge part of my childhood and I am squarely in the target market here. But you can't, or at least shouldn't, recreate the past. Gaming has moved on, albeit not always in pleasant directions. That doesn't mean that people shouldn't make adventure games or hardcore RPGs but they should look to innovate and modernise the genre. Double Fine are doing that today but this Kickstarter project is shackled by its associations to the past

Still, it's fascinating to watch
    Imagine dice will come at some stage and say: lads, we want to do bf4, but the way we want it, not publisher! I bet they will get money for project really fast.
    The marketing budget alone for BF3 was over $50m. The Kickstarter figures don't really compare to this. Even if they could, a major AAA title like this doesn't really need such a campaign; the problem with these games is not financial

Advertisement