Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spoilt basset hound

• 14-03-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

hi all,
    hope to get some helpful hints or tips here.

situation is this . i have a beautiful basset hound which i freely admit has been spoilt in recent months.
    had a bit of an illness over the winter which led me to bringing the dog into the house most evenings for company.
    now that the winter is over and im starting to feel better the dog is put outside at night which leads to some predictable behaviour ie barking and waiting to be left in.
    can anyone point me in the right direction as to how i can get the dog to accept she is outside again.
    fully accept the situation is of my own making so just hoping to get some advice here.

thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is there a reason that the dog has to sleep outside now? Can you not just leave the dog sleep inside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Op you were sick and the dog comfort you. Now you feel better you want to put your friend outside again. Selfish no? Dogs need balance and consistency. You can't keep changing the rules. Let the dog in he deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Leaving your dog outside is your own personal choice, some people don't understand that but it's your right. My dogs both sleep outside and their fine. My labrador has always slept outside and my jack russel sometimes sleeps on my bed . . . . . When I worked in ASH animal rescue they had a few basset hounds come in and they are the sweetest things but were horribly stubborn, apparently that's characteristic of the breed. I'd say yours is just a little upset at sleeping alone but will soon get used to it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'll ask that people stick to the question that was asked by the OP - which was advice for getting their dog used to being outside again. Posts replying just to give out about the dog being outside will be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Maybe try gradually building up the time the dog is left outside so start off with a few mins and build it up? When I was crate training my guy again (he was crated at night as a puppy until about 4 months then had to be crate trained again at 16 months or so in prep for an operation) I started by giving him kongs in the crate and built the time up the time over a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement