Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G

Options
  • 14-03-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Any update on LTE in Ireland? Does vodafone have HSPA+ or any other network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I don't think the auction for the spectrum has been done as of yet, so nope

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

The 4G auction is taking place 'shortly'.

The delay was caused by one of the operators asking Comreg for a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Three are rolling out HSPA+ but that's not LTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Fungus wrote: »
    The 4G auction is taking place 'shortly'.

The delay was caused by one of the operators asking Comreg for a delay.

....?

Any reason given for that? It sounds like one of them wasn't prepared to spend the money right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

Do vodafone have HSPA+ yet? How long will it talk to roll out LTE when the auctions are finished?

• Advertisement

....?

Any reason given for that? It sounds like one of them wasn't prepared to spend the money right now.

Industry consolidation negotiations. I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Wish we had a reliable 3G before they start pushing 4 on us, but then sales know's no bounderies:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Do they not have to wait until the Digital switch over in October to go to 4G in the 1800 Mhz range when it frees up.

Do they not have to wait until the Digital switch over in October to go to 4G in the 1800 Mhz range when it frees up.

It will take a long time post auction to start building 4G networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭vicM

Thought 3.5G was HSPA+

• Advertisement

Big news on the 4G auction ...
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/26285-ireland-takes-one-step-clos

Looks like 4G will 'launch' in some shape on February 1st 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

vicM wrote: »
    Thought 3.5G was HSPA+
    Yes, 3.5G is HSPA+ I have an imported Samsung Galaxy Note and I am on the three network and I know they have 3.5G, as I had it on my old phone. The H+ sign would appear when downloading or streaming stuff but switch back to the 3G sign when idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭vicM

Yep and O2 as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 2012IE

will normal 2g phones still work on 900 and 1800mhz if they are running 3g on those freq's?

More on the 4G auction:
    http://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2012/03/19/ireland-inches-closer-to-4g-wireless-spectrum-auction/
    The reserve price has been set at EUR20 million per 2×5MHz block of sub-1GHz spectrum, and EUR10 million per 2×5MHz of 1800MHz spectrum. Winning bidders will be required to pay a portion of this amount up-front, with the remainder paid annually over the duration of the licence. The lots on offer are:
    • 800MHz band – in the frequency range 791MHz-821MHz paired with 832MHz-862MHz, which comprises six paired 5MHz lots
    • 900MHz band – in the frequency range 880MHz-915MHz paired with 925MHz-960 MHz, which comprises seven paired lots of 5MHz; and
    • 1800MHz band – in the frequency range 1710MHz-1785MHz paired with 1805MHz-1880MHz, which comprises 15 paired 5MHz blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

Big news on the 4G auction ...
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/26285-ireland-takes-one-step-clos

Looks like 4G will 'launch' in some shape on February 1st 2013.

Anything that comes out early next year will certainly not be 4G. HSPA+ will probably be continued to be rolled out in a couple of areas and marketed as 4G no doubted. Its a big pet peeve of mine that operators are allowed market these things as 4G when they are not. Even the LTE network rolled out by in the US is not strictly 4G as defined by the International Telecommunications Union . However operators do love their marketing but they really should not be allowed to market it as such.

Even still the LTE network being rolled in the US requires significant new infrastructure in terms of base stations and back haul networks so I really can't see it coming soon. I can't imagine operators are close to building these when like has been said already we have poor HSPA+ coverage as far as I can see.

The whole spectrum auction thing in general annoys me hugely anyway. It leads to hugely inefficient usage of what is a very scarce resource, i.e. the electromagnetic spectrum. It could be much more efficient but money talks, anyway that is a different topic for a different day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I thought 4G was 100mb/s+:confused:

I can't see us having this here for a LONG time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There's really no point in LTE until the backbones are put in for such traffic. A handful of users at 14mb would consume all the current bandwidth in any given area :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To be honest, I'd ignore the US marketing. They were going around calling EDGE 3G for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I'd rather the networks go about having sufficient Edge coverage nevermind 3g/3.5g. I'm only two miles from the town centre and have absolutely no signal.

Had to resort to importing a repeater and mounting the antenna sky high. Does the job but wish life could be a bit easier than going to these measures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

Quazzie wrote: »
    I thought 4G was 100mb/s+:confused:

I can't see us having this here for a LONG time.
    It can go up to 100mbps but realistically 5-12 once alot if people start using the network. My Guess mid-2014 for it to roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Seems cheap compared to what the 3G spectrum auctions ended up going for...:rolleyes: I wonder have they learned their lesson?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They cannot auction the large block 2500-2600mhz in Ireland until UPC shut down MMDS TV in April 2014. They could auction 2600-2690Mhz though but have chosen not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Vodafone, O2, Meteor and Three all operate 3.5G networks with HSPA+.

I know I get 6mbit/s on my iPad on O2 and well up to 6-7mbit/s on Meteor dongles in Cork.

LTE deployment isn't all that difficult in a lot of cases it's done in software at the transmitter sites on newer HSPA enabled gear from Ericsson etc.

What tends to hold up speed in some areas on mobile networks is lack of fibre backhaul at the transmitter sites and over-use of mobile broadband in others due to lack of fixed line alternatives.

The proposed frequencies are 800, 1800, 2600 MHz in Europe. 1800MHz is already allocated to all the above operators for GSM 2G services.

Ultimately, I'd say you'll see LTE launching on 900MHz and 1800MHz as there's no real reason for huge swathes of the spectrum to be kept exclusive to 2G GSM when the majority of handsets support UMTS (3G/4G) services.

The logical thing to do would be to shrink 2G allocations bit by bit, and re-use the spectrum for 3G/4G services, thus giving you a smooth change over and ultimately phase out of 2G in a few years.

Handset life is very short 2-5 years max, so within a very short space of time the terminals people are using to connect to the network change technology and it really means that you don't have to worry all that much about backward compatibility. Ensuring that there is enough 3G and 4G spectrum is FAR more important as smart phones and other devices dominate the market in Ireland.

There are some weird uses of 2G devices e.g. in power metering / remote control systems by ESB and other utilities, but I don't think those should be a reason to hold up the entire telecommunications network. Rather, they'll just need to change their data cards!

The vast majority of handsets in use today support 3G. It's not even very easy to purchase a 2G handset anymore.

The 900Mhz band also gives excellent coverage and signal propagation and I am pretty sure that the same sites can be re-used and possibly even the same antennae can be used with UMTS equipment so it's only a matter of changing gear in the hut at the end of the tower.

From an end user's perspective it just means faster 3G/4G services. 2G would still be supported, and due to lightening demand, would still work fine with far less capacity.

All I know is that in a very buoyant mobile market like Ireland, there should be absolutely no excuse for holding up the rollout of LTE services. Comreg, once again is proving to be a bit of a joke.

We should be bleeding edge on these kinds of technologies, not some backwater laggard! There's absolutely no explanation for this other than regulatory agencies moving at a snails pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Industry consolidation negotiations. I would guess.

O2 said they found a fatal flaw with the auction but the info on the comreg site was redacted so we dont know what it was:
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1225.pdf
    Page 66

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

O2 want to dodge network investment as long as possible, 2014 would do nicely for them.

The redaction of a non confidential document was done by Comreg and O2 both.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'd hope for some political pressure for this to move forward to keep up the "smart economy" idea but tbh I doubt many ministers even know what LTE is :rolleyes:

No smart economy exists in the Dept of Communications. Comreg have been told to get money in but the networks want to sweat what they have for another year if they can.

The variable is the potential fifth market entrant although O2 seem to have put the frighteners under Comreg. The possibility exists that one or more of the existing 4 will not get spectrum or that the withheld spectrum around 2600mhz may of interest to UPC in a later auction where they don't want the rest of it.

Rollout, coverage and network quality targets are crap, the worst in any developed country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Id agree. Think networks will try to milk the cow as long as possible. Even though it could position them to be a better covered and more reliable network.

Couple of years back we seen a very fast roll out of 3G in well populated areas. The rest of the country is still yet to get any. I still know lots of people who can't get 3G in their homes and rely on 2G, including me. All networks I tried have the same crappy coverage in my house, and its not overly insulated.

Id love to see Meteor and Three pick their games up as I think the two need this more than Vodafone or 02. Would be nice to see the day when everywhere I go I have 3G. No need to switch to Wifi.

Advertisement