Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Umbrella (VanillaSky) cover

• 14-03-2012 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey guys, just looking for feedback on a mix I'm working on. Nothing fancy, just a straight up cover minus vocals.

Superior Drummer and POD Farm were used for drums and guitars respectively, bass was sequenced (Triology).

Any insight on how to improve the mix is much appreciated! Not delighted with how the guitars sit, they may need to be re-tracked.

Here's the link!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

one about this forum is that , you reallly need to put up stuff with vocals
    unless it is an actual instrumental ( and it needs to be a good one if so )

most of us find out the hard way that no one really pays attention in this subsection to

1/ non vocal tracks
    2/ dance re mixes of other peoples stuff

its meaningless without vocals as vocals are the key point the mix is built around

( vocals , drums and bass / drum groove are all you need , the rest is ear candy in most cases )

also note : if its a singer songwriter with an acoustic and thats it - you can fcuk off - i hate them b@stards .

that track sounds like any generic backing track really .

mix = its not too bad to my ears , the guitars sound like a pod though

they have that thin honky wierdness you get with them .

could do with more bass as well in that track .

all of this is my opinion only obviously so pay to much heed to it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Aye, kind of agree with DaDumTish there but this does give a good chance to hear what is going on and I am not a fan of the guitars personally.

I think the type of sound you want to go for will work but if I was you and I had the equipment to do so Id DI the guitar and send it through something like Overloud TH2 but money is money I suppose.
    Do you have any access to daycent mics or other equipment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ConanRTTG

Late reply but I re-did the guitars. I agree, they were way too fizzy for my liking so I DI'd them and used a couple of IRs instead of the POD Farm route I had previously taken. Sounding much better now, just a couple of adjustments needed and then I'll re-up!

Thanks for the 2 replies!

Advertisement