Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns in a house

Options
  • 14-03-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

If I don't want to store my guns in the house anymore what are the options . Do the Gardai have armourys in stations , will they hold guns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Cant imagine the guards will store guns for you. Some RFD offer a storage service, for a fee of course, worth looking into :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

If you dont want them hand them into the gards, Also you have to pay for them to be decommissioned;)

If you want them and need them somewhere else , contact your local RFD!! Im sure they will store them but you will have to pay a fee i suspect

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

lods wrote: »
    If I don't want to store my guns in the house anymore what are the options .
    All depends on what you mean by "don't want to store". If you simply are not comfortable or for personal reasons need them out fo the house then you have a few options. Three that come to mind are;
    1. RFD - They can store them for a fee, but thats usually on a storage basis, and not to act as your gun safe. IOW if you store them for a period of tim then fine, but if you store them and are constantly taking them in and out for usgae that could grow old quickly. For the dealer, and yourself.
    2. Range - if you a member of a range and that range has an onsite vault/safe you can have the guns stored there. This is rare, and usually only reserved for range members.
    3. Friend/Family - Depending on the amount of firearms, and if you have a friend that has the necessary security level for his gun(s), and yours then it's possible you can inform the Gardai, have a home ispection for your mate by the CPO/FO, and get signed permission for the guns to be stored at his/her house. As said already it would require a rise in security level (possibly), and need a number of facteros to be approved before this could happen.
    Do the Gardai have armourys in stations , will they hold guns?
    As was said above if a gun is given to the Gardai it is normally down to the perosn surrendering the firearm they no longer want. The Gardai will ONLY take a gun in such a situation, and will most definitely not store it for you. So if you want rid of the guns completely you can go this route, however if getting rid of them is your goal then an RFD is a much, much better choice. He can take the guns in, sell them, take his cut, and you get a little cash. However thats only if you have no interest in being a gun owner.

Other than that you have little to no other options.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Ezridax,would the friend/family route also require that the gun(s) would have to be licenced to them ?

Good man. A fact i forgot.

To be in possession or have access to the firearm(s) the person must have a license for them. So depending on the amount of guns it could be the same price to pay for the friend/family member to license these guns as it would to store them in an RFDs or maybe cheaper.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Or he could put another safe in his friends house which he has the key to.

I could be wrong, but to be in posssession of a firearm you need to have a license for it. To store gun(s) you need to have an RFD license to allow you to carry, transport, and store them. As an RFD license runs at €1,000 i know which option i'd be going for.

Plus i doubt any Garda, CPO, FO would sign off on someone storing someone else's gun with only the promise that they won't have a key for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Ezridax wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but to be in posssession of a firearm you need to have a license for it. To store gun(s) you need to have an RFD license to allow you to carry, transport, and store them. As an RFD license runs at €1,000 i know which option i'd be going for.

Plus i doubt any Garda, CPO, FO would sign off on someone storing someone else's gun with only the promise that they won't have a key for it.

I think that you are bang on here ( and this was also the reason for my earlier question) as I went on an extended holiday recently and enquired if I could store my gun in my brothers safe and the answer I got was that he would have to be "joint-licenced" on the gun.
    Not sure of the actual legality of this approach by the Gardai but I wasn't going to argue for the sake of a months holiday.(the gun was safe enough where it was anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Thanks for the advice. Just want them out of the house for personel reasons . going to try a local dealer

Advertisement