Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patricks Day parades in N.C.D. 2012

Options
  • 14-03-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would push the parades in N.C.D. a litle. Hopefully the weather will stay fine and dry.

Rush has a new route or should I say a new direction but same route. This year the parade will start at Square, beside Carlyan pub and go up Main St and end around Millbank. There is then a big day in Rush N.S like last year and also a big day in St. Maurs with sports from Croke Park and Twickenham on big screen with food served.

Hope you all enjoy the day

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's one in Swords - starting at noon at the Christian Bros end of the main st and going down North St.

Haven't found details of road closures anywhere on the Fingal CoCo website. :rolleyes:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

LeoB wrote: »
    Just thought I would push the parades in N.C.D. a litle. Hopefully the weather will stay fine and dry.

Rush has a new route or should I say a new direction but same route. This year the parade will start at Square, beside Carlyan pub and go up Main St and end around Millbank. There is then a big day in Rush N.S like last year and also a big day in St. Maurs with sports from Croke Park and Twickenham on big screen with food served.

Hope you all enjoy the day

Starting Time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Balbriggan's parade starts at 1:45 from the Church car park.

It will be streamed live on www.balbriggan.info

http://www.balbriggan.info/exciting_st_patricks_day_parade_promised_for_balbriggan_13mar12.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Swords Parade starts @ 12 noon,
    More than 40 local organisations will be taking to the streets of Swords this Saturday as the town hosts its second St Patrick’s Day parade in successive years.

The parade made a successful return to the Fingal capital last year after more than a decade, attracting over 15,000 people and another huge turnout is predicted this time around.

Starting outside Coláiste Choilm, the parade will get underway at 12pm moving down Main Street, where a reviewing stand will be in place outside County Hall, before continuing down North Street and concluding on Balheary Road.

Street performers, stilt walkers and balloon modellers have all been lined up this year, along with Viking warriors and Special Forces, who will be joining dozens of local groups and clubs.

The event has been arranged once more by Swords Le Chéile, a group representing organisations in the town to look at ways of further involving the community in activities through a range of events during the year, supported by Fingal County Council, Fingal Dublin Chamber, Swords Community Council, Swords Tidy Towns Committee, Pavilions Shopping Centre, Dublin Airport Authority and Swords Lions Club.

Celebrating the theme of ‘Youth’, the 2012 parade will have a real community spirit to it, with over 40 organisations taking part including hip hop and Irish dancers, cricket, soccer, GAA, basketball and judo clubs, vintage cars and tractors, Fingal Living History Society and a 45 tonne tank.

Swords Celtic Football Club, which celebrates 50 years in 2012, will have all its junior members joining the parade, while Swords Youth Service will be providing a grand marshal to accompany Mayor of Fingal, Swords ward representative, Cllr Gerry McGuire, in an open-top vintage car.

‘Swords Le Chéile is an important civic initiative, supported by our council that has established a formal community platform for projects across a range of social, cultural and economic issues in Swords,’ Mayor McGuire said.

‘As such it a very important project in bringing local government and local civic and community bodies closer and will greatly enhance our shared ability to initiate and develop new programmes for the people of our capital town.

‘I am looking forward to another great day of community celebrations at the St Patrick’s Day Parade in Swords this year.’

Traffic restrictions

Celebrations will continue at the Pavilions Shopping Centre, which will host a live trad band and Irish dancing from 2pm to 4pm.

The centre is also offering two hours free car parking on the day and patrons are advised to arrive early and obey the instructions of stewards, while a number of road diversions will also be in place.

Main Street will be closed to traffic from 10pm to 4pm, with Bridge Street, Seatown Road (west) and North Street closed from 10.30am to 2.30pm.

Chapel Lane will be closed from 11am to 4pm, with Dublin Road closed from 10am to 1pm and a one-way system will be in operation on the roads affected for local access.

http://myswords.ie/2012/03/14/green-light-for-swords-st-patricks-day-parade/

Don't forget there's also a Carnival in the Pavilion's car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 undermeoxter

Starting Time?
    The Rush Parade starts at 1pm

There's a Family Fun-fair on in the grounds of Rush NS from noon until 6pm.
    It's organised by the Parents' Association for Rush NS - €5/person entry free then all the rides are free once you're in.

Waffles and hot-dogs and other refreshments (no alcohol) are available for purchase at stands and in the coffee shop.

This was a great success last year and was very well supported by the town. (I'm not a member of RushNS PAC but I'm aware of the hard work they've been putting into organising this.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The Pavillions offers 2 free hours car parking?

Isn't that just the same as usual?!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Skerries Parade kicks off at 3pm. All welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 undermeoxter

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There's one in Swords - starting at noon at the Christian Bros end of the main st and going down North St.

Haven't found details of road closures anywhere on the Fingal CoCo website. :rolleyes:

It's there, under Road Dept - in the green banner @ the top click the link for St Patrick's Day arrangements: http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/TemporaryRoadClosures/STPATRICKSDAYPARADEARRANGEMENTS/
    Swords
    Main Street 10.00 – 16.00
    Bridge Street 10.30 – 14.30
    Seatown Road (West) 10.30 – 14.30
    North Street 10.30 – 14.30
    Seatown West 10.30 – 14.30
    Chapel Lane 11.00 – 16.00
    Dublin Road 10.00 – 13.00
    A one way system will be in operation for local access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

The Rush Parade starts at 1pm

There's a Family Fun-fair on in the grounds of Rush NS from noon until 6pm.
    It's organised by the Parents' Association for Rush NS - €5/person entry free then all the rides are free once you're in.

Waffles and hot-dogs and other refreshments (no alcohol) are available for purchase at stands and in the coffee shop.

This was a great success last year and was very well supported by the town. (I'm not a member of RushNS PAC but I'm aware of the hard work they've been putting into organising this.)

A little more information from the PAC website.

http://rushnspac.wordpress.com/up-coming-events/st-patricks-day-funfair/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

does anyone know why there isnt a parade in Blanchardstown,Being one of the biggest if not biggest towns in N.C.D I could never figure out why there isnt one,was there ever a parade anywhere in dublin 15?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No idea. Have you asked in the Dublin 15 forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

triple-M wrote: »
    does anyone know why there isnt a parade in Blanchardstown,Being one of the biggest if not biggest towns in N.C.D I could never figure out why there isnt one,was there ever a parade anywhere in dublin 15?

I saw that this topic was raised recently at a Fingal Co Co meeting. The response was that the parades in Swords, Lusk, Rush, Skerries, Balbriggan etc were mainly organised by community groups and if Blanch did the same, the council would give support as with others. It'd be great to see a good St Pat's parade in D15. What about talking to the D15 Chamber of Commerce and D15 Community Council? Good advice given to start on the D15 thread. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement