Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Diesel in Drogheda

Options
  • 14-03-2012 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Have bought diesel from one of the cheaper service stations in Drogheda now and again, but have recently heard that numerous cars filling at this one service station have been damaged by this laundered diesel. Anybody know anything about this?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

A piece of advice for you with regard to diesel, don't take any chances. It's not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I think I know the one you are talking about. They only accept cash and won't issue a VAT receipt.

Part of the laundering process removes an essential lubricant that is added to diesel. The absence of this lubricant will damage your engine, particularly if your car in only a few years old.

This topic has been covered several times before though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Generally if the price is too good to be true.... Then its exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

MugMugs wrote: »
    Generally if the price is too good to be true.... Then its exactly that.

Same goes in all walks of life, my friend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

but well worth repeating. Reckon the only hope for cheap diesel is to buy your own oil well !!:(

• Advertisement

280special wrote: »

but well worth repeating. Reckon the only hope for cheap diesel is to buy your own oil well !!:(

Or just use a reputable retailer. Personally I prefer Applegreen. In fact, I've a fine running machine and credit them with a lot of hassle free motoring. That however is merely my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I have seen the tanker filling up that station *snip*. *snip* on the *snip* in big bold letters on the truck. If you value your car then spend that bit more in a reputable place. That's just my opinion.

Or just use a reputable retailer. Personally I prefer Applegreen. In fact, I've a fine running machine and credit them with a lot of hassle free motoring. That however is merely my opinion.
    True, reputable dealers are probably the best places to go looking for diesel, but some can also have bad fuel (known to them or not). As someone that sees its affects on a daily basis, I would recommend that where possible, you stick with a supplier that has a good reputation, and make sure it is one supplier and one supplier only. Hopping about from pump to pump to try and get the cheapest price will end up in tears...

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I was @ a fineral in Donegal yesterday... shocked and awed driving by a service station *snip* where the diesel price was €1.31!!
    I sh1t you not... Green diesel??? or maybe Green, White & Orange diesel. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dodgy Diesel, do you know Side Saddle? Identical posts about identical location!!!

• Advertisement

Dodgy Diesel, do you know Side Saddle? Identical posts about identical location!!!
    Well spotted. DodgyDiesel banned for posting from multiple accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I always buy from Applegreen and have online record which is handy should anything every happen due to the diesel. I pass by said fuller daily and it amazes me the amount of top end and new cars I see filling up there.

Just for anybody indecisive about this. Replacing injectors on a diesel motor will cost from around 600 to 1000 along with the other issues caused by washed diesel. We will say 1k average repair bill. Washed diesel tracks about 7 cent below standard per litre. On a 50 litre fill you're going to save €3.50 per fill. You'd have to fill your car with 50 litres 285 times to save that money.... That's five and a half years! If you use 50 litres a week that is! Your car probably won't last that long.

People of Louth! Consider this next time you're filling up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Potential costs are much greater than that. Bad diesel cost my workmate €3400 in his Audi A4....a brand new fuel system including injectors had to be installed. He had to take the hit himself.

gebbel wrote: »
    Potential costs are much greater than that. Bad diesel cost my workmate €3400 in his Audi A4....a brand new fuel system including injectors had to be installed. He had to take the hit himself.

It's variant on damage done and vehicle type....

It's variant on damage done and vehicle type....
    True, however if it is a new type Audi A4 the PD injectors (Siemens) are non repairable as far as I know and are very expensive. The older model injectors (Bosch) can be repaired as long theyre not made completely redundant by the fuel.

Advertisement