Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gig ticket question...

Options
  • 15-03-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭

My daughter (17) wants to go to the Swedish House Mafia gig in July with a group of friends after her graduation, so went on to the Ticketmaster site to buy her a ticket with my credit card.

Question is, there's a note saying 'Over 17's only, ID required'. If my name is on the ticket, will she be barred from going in or do they actually check ID at these type of events...

It's been years since I was at a live gig, so was just wondering if anyone a bit more savvy about such matters could enlighten me :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i would have thought that she would be asked for id to prove that she is over 17, not that she bought the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Random wrote: »
    i would have thought that she would be asked for id to prove that she is over 17, not that she bought the ticket.

Yeah that's fine, but if they check her ID, they'll see her name is not on the ticket. I'm worried she'll then not be allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

My daughter (17) wants to go to the Swedish House Mafia gig in July with a group of friends after her graduation, so went on to the Ticketmaster site to buy her a ticket with my credit card.

Question is, there's a note saying 'Over 17's only, ID required'. If my name is on the ticket, will she be barred from going in or do they actually check ID at these type of events...

It's been years since I was at a live gig, so was just wondering if anyone a bit more savvy about such matters could enlighten me :)

They have done in the past, but I doubt it. They aren't doing it for the RHCP
    You could just buy it off one of the Ticketmaster booths tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Moved from After Hours.

They have done in the past, but I doubt it. They aren't doing it for the RHCP
    You could just buy it off one of the Ticketmaster booths tomorrow?

Where are these Ticketmaster booths located do you know>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Where are these Ticketmaster booths located do you know>

There's one in the Jervis Shopping Centre on Henry Street in Dublin City, if you're near there?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

She'll get in no bother , they only enforced that rule at certain gigs ( eg. RHCP last November) where they know it will sell out immediately and to prevent touts
    . Its doubtful she'd even be asked to prove her age. Im 16 and was at Oxegen last year and was at Rammstein two weeks ago and got in to both no problem.

There's one in the Jervis Shopping Centre on Henry Street in Dublin City, if you're near there?

Unfortunately not, I'm in Waterford City :(

I guess I'll just have to take the chance and hope they all get in ok. I'd be more comfortable if the website hadn't specifically mentioned ID requirement, but hopefully it's just something they put up to advise anyone thinking of buying tickets for younger teens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Found this ticketmaster outlet, if it's of any use.
    If this is a help and willing to travel there is one in Heartbeat City in Dungarvan Shopping Centre IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I'd actually never heard that the name on the ticket had to match your ID (well, never in Ireland anyway).

I've always used my mum's account to buy my tickets (we started the account when I was 15 so it had to be in her name) or sometimes one of my friends orders everyone's tickets together to make sure we all get the same entrance or whatever. Almost every ticket I've had in the last five years has had someone else's name on the side. It's never been a problem, I've never even given it a second thought!

She should be fine, once she has ID saying she's over 17 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Try ringing the venue and ask them their policy on these things. I've bought loads of tickets for my kids to attend gigs and never had an issue with name on ticket. The important thing is for your daughter to have acceptable ID in case they get serious on that issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

When it says "Over 17's only, ID required" it means that person under the age of 17 will not be admitted to the venue irrespective who bought the ticket.

If your daughter is stopped and unable to produce valid proof of age she may not be admitted to the venue. You can listen to all the stories you like but that's the rule.

Advertisement