Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do on a weekend in Galway?

Options
  • 15-03-2012 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Heading to Galway city on the 24th with my hubby for a weekend. Want to know if anyone has any ideas what to do for the weekend? Not looking for ideas on pubs and clubs really as I'm not able to drink alcohol at the moment so not planning on propping up a bar. More looking for ideas of what to do and see!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

A 'must do' is walk the Promenade in Salthill.

Other than that, id depends on your interests. Shopping? Aquarium? Museum? Theatre? Trad music? Sightseeing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Gleesonbelle

Little bit of shopping and a little sightseeing I'd say. Don't have the kids with us so prob keep aquarium etc for when they are with us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Oh Well it won't be the shopping and if you aren't drinking (pregnant) you'll need to get out of town. It's off to Connemara for you.

Seriously, shopping is rubbish in Galway. I speak as man so you can imagine what it's like as a woman.

Connemara is amazing. Drive out to Roundstone, Clifden etc and you'll have a nice time. But if it's restaraunts in Galway. There are plenty and there is the tourist bus.

Heading to the prom is good too for less strenous stuff. A really good atmosphere.

Connemara is where it's at though. Unless you think drinking is the way to go.

Xflyer no not pregnant. On meds and can't drink long term. Have done the Connemara thing before. Is there any benefit to heading to the Aran islands??

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

I'd always recommend going to the Aran Islands if not to just to see Dun Aengus alone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

xflyer wrote: »
    Seriously, shopping is rubbish in Galway. I speak as a man so you can imagine what it's like as a woman.
    Amazing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Go for a drive thru the burren,
    -Visit alwee caves
    -Try surfing in lahinch
    -Visit Cliffs of Mohr, walk the cliffs, you CAN go past the sign
    -Have some pub grub alone the way
    Have fun

Notch000 we regularly go to the burren as we often spend time in kilkee in the summers and go from there. We're looking for something up in the Galway region that we haven't done before. We dont often go to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

A visit to St. Brigids gardens in Rosscahill is well rcommended it is 20 mins from galway on the Clifden road n59 half way between Moycullen and Oughterard. Kylemore Abbey is also a good spot to visit. just to let you know about Galway at the moment though major road works on the two round abouts after the Clayton Hotel and expect major delays unless you get to Galway early. Anything up to an hour or two to get into or cross city. I dread to think what today is going to be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Notch000 we regularly go to the burren as we often spend time in kilkee in the summers and go from there. We're looking for something up in the Galway region that we haven't done before. We dont often go to Galway.

Windsurfing and/or horse riding out in rusheen bay perhaps?

http://www.galwayhorseriding.com/index.html

http://www.rusheenbay.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Notch000 wrote: »
    Go for a drive thru the burren,
    -Visit alwee caves
    -Try surfing in lahinch
    -Visit Cliffs of Mohr, walk the cliffs, you CAN go past the sign
    -Have some pub grub alone the way
    Have fun

WTF? Are you from the Clare Tourism Anorak Society?

The OP is coming to Galway. If she wanted to go to Clare, I reckon she's go to Clare section of boards.ie

Advertisement