Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation Quesion - confused :S

• 15-03-2012 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Well, a lot of people are saying that they've just paid the deposits on their accommodation...
    But do you not do the accommodation stuff once you accept your college/course in August?!
    Why must people confuse me :S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Some people are pretty sure of the points they are going to get, barring any major disasters and have only put down courses in one college, so are booking campus accommodation now. Happened regularly when I was in UL.

If you're aiming for a course that needs 400 and you are expecting 500, it's a fairly safe bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Some people are pretty sure of the points they are going to get, barring any major disasters and have only put down courses in one college, so are booking campus accommodation now.

Right. Well I have a couple of colleges. would it be safe to leave it til August? Like...would I still get a place? Lol
    Sorry for my dumb questions- I'm the first in the fam doing the Leaving lol :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Depends on where you are applying to, how many places they have, how many early bookings they take etc. If you're that worried give the college a ring and ask, either way you'll get accommodation, everyone always does.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Some colleges have waiting lists that open early, where you can put your name down without paying anything, before you get the CAO offers. I know UCD definitely do this, as they opened the waiting list during my Leaving Cert, and I was taken completely unaware when I went to put my name on the waiting list in late July to find out I was the 1700th person to do so :eek: (note: before CAO offers came out). Funnily enough, I ended up being offered campus afterall, as a lot of people put their name on the list even if UCD isn't their first choice, or they don't get the points for UCD, etc.

It's best to research the websites of the individuals colleges/universities you are applying to, and start a thread in that college's forum on boards if you are unsure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Just to add to Timbuk2's post: NUI Maynooth and DCU definitely do this as well. I applied for accomodation in both if these Universities without paying anything. I think in their case the order in which you apply doesn't matter. In DCU preference is given to people over 500 points, then to everybody else by means of a lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

Does anybody know when applications on-campus accommodation for UCC and TCD open?

Advertisement