Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan Pike

Options
  • 15-03-2012 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Just thought I'd get something off my chest......
    Recently came back from a day session from what was once and excellent pike venue- whitewood lake,co Cavan.I hadn't fished this lake for a long time and we arrived with high hopes. Due to the obvious time of year we fished the top end of the lake.As we walked to our chosen swim the amount of rubbish was absolutely shocking....I was literally wading through,beer cans,bait buckets and general fishing paraphernalia,and I've got to say this I spotted alot of used bait packs with foreign writing....We set up 6 rods(3 anglers) and fished 4 different swims and had one run.....which was dropped.While we were there some fns turned up and started to fish.Within half an hour they had a fire lit and the cheap beer cans were out...
    It's sad to see such a lovely lake reduced to a rubbish dump!!!!
    How long will these great pike venues take to recover from such mistreatment!!!
    We all know that removing even a few hens from small to medium sized lake can affect pike numbers for years!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

get on to the ifi and report it to them, they are responsible for looking after the lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vwt

get on to the ifi and report it to them, they are responsible for looking after the lakes.
    I'm sure there aware of it.It's just one of many venues which have been ruined!
    Unfortunately you can't keep watch on every lake 24/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

it would make one wonder whether the proposed rod licence in the late eighties would have made a different in this type of situation,
    and just like every other golden goose people didnt appreciate what was right in their back yard, i see this at first hand from the butchered remains of a brace of decent tench to the remains of a roe deer,
    would a structured system of baliffs in the eighties have made any difference, .........
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHIrllji7up9s2rfkEpk7xOpMMdySr1ncWNvUsGmqtoH4_RvRt

it would make one wonder whether the proposed rod licence in the late eighties would have made a different in this type of situation,
    and just like every other golden goose people didnt appreciate what was right in their back yard, i see this at first hand from the butchered remains of a brace of decent tench to the remains of a roe deer,
    would a structured system of baliffs in the eighties have made any difference, .........
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHIrllji7up9s2rfkEpk7xOpMMdySr1ncWNvUsGmqtoH4_RvRt
    I honestly don't think rod licences or permits make a difference....it's education and respect that will.I really think that a lot of great fishing venues,particulary pike have been damaged to the point that they will never be the same.Ireland as a tourist venue for uk and European anglers is just not appealing anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The current Bye Laws relating to Coarse fish (Bye law 806) only came into being in Sept 06. We were well into the "Celtic Tiger" boom. At this stage a mindset prevailed in certain quarters that it was ok to kill all before you.
    It became the norm if that was your slant. It meant when the legislation came onstream it was an uphill battle because a culture prevailed, again in certain quarters, of filling bags with coarse fish which pre sept 06 was legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

IFI will be aware of most situations and could be limited to specific times for route checks and cant watch everything 24/7 but as an angler you should have reported the situation anyway, saying it seemed supicious. The baliffs nearby are willing to come down and have a look. Since you did not report this them lads could have pulled out two or three doubles by the time which a baliff could have been around to see.

So in my mind its not good practice to come on here and complain about what you seen and not have reported it.

IFI will be aware of most situations and could be limited to specific times for route checks and cant watch everything 24/7 but as an angler you should have reported the situation anyway, saying it seemed supicious. The baliffs nearby are willing to come down and have a look. Since you did not report this them lads could have pulled out two or three doubles by the time which a baliff could have been around to see.

So in my mind its not good practice to come on here and complain about what you seen and not have reported it.
    Did you read my post????
    I was emphasing the amount of rubbish and the general state of the lake,drinking and lighting fires is a matter for the guards(which I did notify)and not the ifi or local bailiffs.
    Please get your facts right before you pass judgement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

vwt wrote: »
    I honestly don't think rod licences or permits make a difference....it's education and respect that will.I really think that a lot of great fishing venues,particulary pike have been damaged to the point that they will never be the same.Ireland as a tourist venue for uk and European anglers is just not appealing anymore

A rod licence would be a very small part of the issue, but more importantly the likely hood of a full time bailiff showing up, may change the mind set of the offender,
    But years of do as you please, have taken it's toll on fish stocks and peoples whole attitude to common courtesy and respect for the lake shores and car parks.
    This is not confined to fishing, just take a drive down any bogland boreen to see the rubbish piled high, from not a million miles away....

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

Sorry mate dont mean any bad intentions was trying to just point out that it seems clear that these people, from the sound of it, looked like they could be poachers. Lighting fires and drinking isnt a great sign, so I just meant by my post that IFI could have been notified of the situation to drop by to have a nosey and see if they had any fish.

Sorry mate if I offended you, last thing anyone wants is enimies on a forum :rolleyes:

Sorry mate dont mean any bad intentions was trying to just point out that it seems clear that these people, from the sound of it, looked like they could be poachers. Lighting fires and drinking isnt a great sign, so I just meant by my post that IFI could have been notified of the situation to drop by to have a nosey and see if they had any fish.

Sorry mate if I offended you, last thing anyone wants is enimies on a forum :rolleyes:
    No probs mate...
    I watched them for a good bit from where I was fishing,they were just your typical fns with the finest aldi gear!!!
    If I had have seen poaching believe me I would have intervened,I don't think the guards were to concerned,I left around two hours after I called them and they hadn't showed up....
    I'm heading for Cavan again on Monday...
    Anyone been out recently with good results..
    A pm would be much appreciated,we all know what happens when info is given out for all to see!

• Advertisement
Advertisement