Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outdoor portrait (child)

• 15-03-2012 2:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I put this in a photo book recently and have received a lot of positive comments (and I hasten to add not from family) The subject is my little girl and the family pet but it made me look at the image with "fresh" eyes as it were. I know it is cropped a bit too tight but in the printed version it isn't. I know I could have used off camera flash or a ring flash to perhaps bring a bit more sparkle to the eyes but this is a technique I am only learning about now.

However, comments although well intentioned are coming from people who could be potential clients and using the best pr of all word of mouth.

Could I perhaps ask for a C&C on this image warts and all.

4773143708_a76ebacf2c_z.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

It is a great picture--

you're righ about the crop: feels like her feet belong in the picture

I try to use as little as post-processing as possible but 2 things I would have tried are a) a bit of punch to the picture to get a bit more colour from her skin and b) shadow tweaks to try to get some detail from the dogs' ears

kudos for lightning and her hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I love the pose but feel the green background is a little garish and takes over. This would look really good in sepia or black and white as its such a timeless image.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tweaking the colour balance in general might help - it's a bit on the yellow/greenish side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Lovely pose but I prefer to be on eye level with kids, wide aperture prime background disappears. I would probably go for a square crop on this. Cute picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I find my eyes drawn to the brightest point, her arm and shoulder, and as mentioned above, there is a slight yellow tint to the skin tone.

Nice shot though. I'd be happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Thank you all for the comments everyone, it is greatly appreciated. The quality of the image here is way different to the printed version. Borderfox I have to remember to come more to the eye level - I better train the dog better in posing :)

Thanks again everyone !

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

i really like the image, the only thing i think is missing is her feet for perfect framing and her face needs a tiny bit of lighting up to match the light on her right arm - other than that its a very beautiful and eye catching image. well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

As said above, it would be nice if you were lower when taking the picture. And if you wore something white (shirt), you would reflect fair bit of light into the kid's face and add a bit of catchilght into her eyes - the eyes look a bit dull and dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Thanks Thonda - I know the eyes do lack that bit of sparkle ok. Never thought of a white shirt and I do have plenty of them. Thank you for the suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I love it, it's a beautiful picture. They say don't work with animals or children but you master both in this picture. I love her holding the freshly picked daisies.

I may be biased here as I have a little girl too and I'd be well chuffed with this picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 JenMulkerrin

I don't mind the crop, think its perfect with a beautiful subject and sweet dog, my only critique would be to lighten it a tiny bit so to show off her pretty face more!

Advertisement