Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tebessa defence tonight

Options
  • 15-03-2012 8:49am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Been thinking on Tebessa defence for tonight; this is how things are currently lining up in my head:

2x AMX 13 90 (16h cool down, to scout middle and hill and retreat once we confirm attack route)
    3x T95 (base defenders)
    2x JT (ridge support for river)
    3x Obj. 704 (camps A1 hill/ridge)
    4x T7 arty (North/A1 corner)
    1x Hummel or other fast shooting T5 arty with plenty of ammo (base cap support)

T95s can be replaced with Maus, JTs can be replaced by T30s, 704s with IS-7s/E100s

The name of the game is to take their push and nuke the living daylight out of them when they poke around the corner (and due to mobility the TDs need to wait for their tanks to poke around the corner rather then doing the poking ourselves and the TDs large guns should help with the nuking :P ). All TDs main goal is to spot for arty once they get over towards our side and shoot what ever pokes around a corner.

If they push A or B line the arties would aim to remain around town area and provide fire support. If they do double pronged attack (A and river) then town should still be safe and arty can split support fire. The AMX 13 90s main goal will be to spot and annoy; we need them live to the end as our last minute support (i.e. pop in and shot a HE shell on the cap and then zoom away).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DesperateCry

Hummel might be good, as it's pretty fast, mobile artilerry, but tier5 does not do...well any damage at all to t10. I suggest using at least a t6 at any case

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Unfortunately it can't be with my JT on the ridge, my work hours continue to make my CW attendance pretty bad as of late.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hummel might be good, as it's pretty fast, mobile artilerry, but tier5 does not do...well any damage at all to t10.
    The only job of the T5 arty is to do 1 point of damage to stop cap; not dish out damage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭phil3995

How many shells can a Hummel carry? I remember the GWPanther can hold ~30 (I think it's been a long time since I had it)

Also should be able to bring my T95 tonight :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

phil3995 wrote: »
    How many shells can a Hummel carry? I remember the GWPanther can hold ~30 (I think it's been a long time since I had it)

Also should be able to bring my T95 tonight :)
    I'm open for alternatives but the key thing is number of shells and reload time; not the damage it can do as this is purely a cap stopping arty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ZZR1100

i like the plan, but i still dont like the idea of losing tanks to the lockout defending the Landing zone. what do we do the night after and the night after that. we will lose all our tanks and lose the landing zone.
    this is the case not just for tonight but for every time we take a landing zone.

ZZR1100 wrote: »
    i like the plan, but i still dont like the idea of losing tanks to the lockout defending the Landing zone. what do we do the night after and the night after that. we will lose all our tanks and lose the landing zone.
    this is the case not just for tonight but for every time we take a landing zone.
    Well always lose tanks doing it; one zone in and we'll face people who've just taken the land who'll throw it all against us (like we'll do tonight). Two zones in and we'll face it from the team taking the one zone in trying to get further etc.

The long and short of it is that until we're three+ zones deep we'll lose tanks regularly to relatively fresh teams sadly :(

Nody wrote: »
    Well always lose tanks doing it; one zone in and we'll face people who've just taken the land who'll throw it all against us (like we'll do tonight). Two zones in and we'll face it from the team taking the one zone in trying to get further etc.

The long and short of it is that until we're three+ zones deep we'll lose tanks regularly to relatively fresh teams sadly :(

Not entirly true dan as the clan that takes the landing zone from now on will have a lot of their tanks locked after the battle with the owner. we on the other hand having taken the landing before the freeze have a full squad and yes we will have some locked as well if we attack. All the more reason to give up a pointless defense of the landing zone so we can protect anything we win tonight. of course if we dont take new land tonight, it dosnt matter either way.

Not entirly true dan as the clan that takes the landing zone from now on will have a lot of their tanks locked after the battle with the owner. we on the other hand having taken the landing before the freeze have a full squad and yes we will have some locked as well if we attack. All the more reason to give up a pointless defense of the landing zone so we can protect anything we win tonight. of course if we dont take new land tonight, it dosnt matter either way.
    That is the plan though; using the above the lock out timers if killed are 4 days (TDs), 2 days (Arty) and 0 days (lights). That's something we should be able to rotate around relatively easy as we'll play defensively to be able to keep the landing zone and keep our back safe while having all T10/T9 heavies/mediums and T8 arties available for pushing inland with.

All of that assumes that the tactic works of course which is a big if on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I like that for base II, plenty of places to hide and the td's can move a bit. But definitely not for base I. Not enough places to hide, not enough clear shots for td's, and it's too easy to get circled. Something more aggressive and mobile for side 1.

• Advertisement

I like that for base II, plenty of places to hide and the td's can move a bit. But definitely not for base I. Not enough places to hide, not enough clear shots for td's, and it's too easy to get circled. Something more aggressive and mobile for side 1.
    Funny; I see it exactly the opposite way. Base 1 has the northen ramp which would be held making sure there's a flank in on anything going into the side of the enemy. On top of this there's the mosque, the small hill north on town were arty is, hill at ramp etc. They may not be 100% arty protected but will still be 90% miss/splash only.

Now on base 2 you're limited to the small hills around middle ramp and risk tanks going up both from water and north hill push at the same time as someone can take you from behind in the middle ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Funny; I see it exactly the opposite way. Base 1 has the northen ramp which would be held making sure there's a flank in on anything going into the side of the enemy. On top of this there's the mosque, the small hill north on town were arty is, hill at ramp etc. They may not be 100% arty protected but will still be 90% miss/splash only.
    I suppose it all depends on those objects holding that north ramp to at least prevent them getting up at the defenders from the middle.
    Now on base 2 you're limited to the small hills around middle ramp and risk tanks going up both from water and north hill push at the same time as someone can take you from behind in the middle ramp.
    Well, you wouldn't have to worry about a push from north hill, because, on my advice, you would have those buildings shaved in the base II village so the objects way down the back at A0 could do their thing. They wouldn't even be spotted until they earned their wages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'll gladly take a 13 90 or T95.

For the 'cap stopper' arty - I'd definitely say the GW Panther, maybe with the hummel gun. Very mobile, widest arc of fire of any SPG, holds loads of shells, and fires quick. Much more favourable to a Tier 5.

The idea here would be to be as cagey as possible, to try not lose many tanks.

Losing the scouts is fine, but keeping our hard hitters alive would be paramount, so if we see they're pushing, we should be trying to scout their own base defence and push the opposite side.

So IMO we should keep an assault force back behind the mosque, wait until we see their push, let our defence tanks engage, and flank with our attacking force of maybe 5 IS7's straight to their base, using 2 arty to support.

What ye reckon?

I'll gladly take a 13 90 or T95.

For the 'cap stopper' arty - I'd definitely say the GW Panther, maybe with the hummel gun. Very mobile, widest arc of fire of any SPG, holds loads of shells, and fires quick. Much more favourable to a Tier 5.

The idea here would be to be as cagey as possible, to try not lose many tanks.

Losing the scouts is fine, but keeping our hard hitters alive would be paramount, so if we see they're pushing, we should be trying to scout their own base defence and push the opposite side.

So IMO we should keep an assault force back behind the mosque, wait until we see their push, let our defence tanks engage, and flank with our attacking force of maybe 5 IS7's straight to their base, using 2 arty to support.

What ye reckon?

i dont think he wants to use any of our heavy tanks for the reasons stated above. we are not going to able to hold onto landing zone for more than a few nights, so whats the point in freezing all our tanks trying. imho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

i dont think he wants to use any of our heavy tanks for the reasons stated above. we are not going to able to hold onto landing zone for more than a few nights, so whats the point in freezing all our tanks trying. imho

Not all, but definitely think the only people defending tonight are guys with the tank they'll be playing + at least another T8 arty / T10 tank / T9 TD

I still think that we need to give the enemy something more to think about than pummeling us with arty - after all, if we manage to just about hang on, or worse, lose by losing all of our tanks, we're fecked for landing battles the next night.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dathi Horizon

yeah we're going to need every last IS-7 in this clan for any plans to take more land. they're the main attacking force we have and throwing 5 away would screw us for the rest of the week.

Crashed and burned badly but at least we got 2 IS-7s and a T54 locked out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭phil3995

Well it was worth a try, their arty did most of the damage.

As promised my replay file (will download when you hit the link): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11884276/WoT/Replays/20120315_2205_usa-T95_el_hallouf.wotreplay

Advertisement