Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porch Light Best Option Low watt or Standard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

anything outside i always fit low energy or put in a long life bulb

covers tend to get bodged with people halogen/incandescent bulbs regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

M cebee wrote: »
    anything outside i always fit low energy or put in a long life bulb

covers tend to get bodged with people halogen/incandescent bulbs regularly

When you say bodged do you mean stuck?

no

- just ime customers often just don't replace covers correctly
    they may then let in water

-there's also additional wear on contacts with halogen/incandescent

-not to mention electricity usage

-and more downtime/lamp changes

so for those reasons i would choose all energy efficient/long life outdoors on any job

you should be able to get a decent led off a wholesaler now

you'd have 4 halogen bulbs to maintain otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi there

Just a quick one im replacing my nasty cheap Woodies Plastic Porch old style lanterns (10 Euro Jobs)
    Getting set of Up down lights instead. Would anyone advise me to the difference between the following options. My main Concern of course is energy consumption and light produced. Light being the more of my concern.
    Im looking at these from Euro Electrical. One being a Standard Gu10 35 watt bulb seting the other a low heat 5 watt bulb set up. Would i be right in thinking i am going to get very little light from the energy conserving 5 amp Low heat bulbs? Info in attachment below. I also found these on ebay. 3 Wat LED Version also on ebay but i have a feeling there would be little or no light from this

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/6W-LED-Lighting-Up-Down-Spotlight-Lamps-Wall-Garden-Stainless-Pillar-Wall-Light-/110841344457?pt=UK_Garden_Lighting&hash=item19cea8b1c9

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Kanlux-Exterior-Wall-Light-IP44-Stainless-Steel-Up-and-Down-18011-/130646481409?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item1e6b231a01#ht_1984wt_982

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BLACK-STAINLESS-STEEL-UP-DOWN-OUTDOOR-WALL-LIGHT-2x-50w-/120554102171?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item1c11959d9b#ht_2614wt_834

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PILLAR-WALL-LIGHT-LED-3-WATT-Stainless-Steel-Dual-Up-Down-Outdoor-Indoor-BRIGHT-/120804118637?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item1c207c906d#ht_2572wt_834

John I have a couple of thing to say, some good and some bad.
    1) By default I'd avoid electrical unbranded non EU CE marked fittings bought on Ebay
    2) All the above options are only rated at IP44, this is not very good, IP65 is better, even IP54 would want to be under a canopy, google IP rating to see the charts and see what fits your application.
    3) Some of your selections use GU10 lamps, so an option for this light when installed in the right environment would be to get your option two that is supplied without lamps, you could then buy branded 4W GU10 lamps for around 10 euro each, the Philips Master LED or Aurora range. Take note that they might not fit as the pictures on ebay are not great, but both lamps are small enough and it would be worth a try. I'd avoid an E bay 3Watt lamps to be honest, the lamps I mentioned are decent. They will match the light intensity of a standard 35Watt halogen lamp, there some intense 35Watt lamps from Osram but if your have a standard 35W halogen GU10 lamp, the philips and aurora will match it.

• Advertisement

Cheers Ceebee i get ya LED looks like its the way to go for longer life!

Last question if i may be so bold ! Is there much or a difference Light wise from a 35watt or 50 watt gu10 halogen bulb as opposed to a 4w GU10 LED's ?
    I want a decent light thrown off them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Last question if i may be so bold ! Is there much or a difference Light wise from a 35watt or 50 watt gu10 halogen bulb as opposed to a 4w GU10 LED's ?
    I want a decent light thrown off them?

the standard 35W to 4W watt is more than a match as mentioned above.
    4W compared to 50Watt is a little off, there is a 7Watt LED but its more expensive and bigger its also comparable to the more intense again 50W 12Volt lamp so its better than your needs, you will be happy with the 4W I think.

Stoner wrote: »
    John I have a couple of thing to say, some good and some bad.
    1) By default I'd avoid electrical unbranded non EU CE marked fittings bought on Ebay
    2) All the above options are only rated at IP44, this is not very good, IP65 is better, even IP54 would want to be under a canopy, google IP rating to see the charts and see what fits your application.
    3) Some of your selections use GU10 lamps, so an option for this light when installed in the right environment would be to get your option two that is supplied without lamps, you could then buy branded 4W GU10 lamps for around 10 euro each, the Philips Master LED or Aurora range. Take note that they might not fit as the pictures on ebay are not great, but both lamps are small enough and it would be worth a try. I'd avoid an E bay 3Watt lamps to be honest, the lamps I mentioned are decent. They will match the light intensity of a standard 35Watt halogen lamp, there some intense 35Watt lamps from Osram but if your have a standard 35W halogen GU10 lamp, the philips and aurora will match it.

Decided to go With lamps from a local electrical shop and with Philips 4w GU10 LED's! Thanks Stoner and Cebee for your information. You have been very helpful. Thumbs up !;) much obliged lads!

Advertisement