Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-shared printers still available.

Options
  • 15-03-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

The print server is running 2003 SP2 with XP clients.

When users run the add printer wizard from XP they can see and add printers from the server that have never been shared or had print sharing removed. Any idea how I can stop users from both seeing and adding printers that are not shared. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if the printers are on the same IP range as the clients then they may be seen directly

then you could put printers on a separate range and give the server multihomed IP addresses, - you can even add the other IP range to DHCP on the server provided you only hand out IP's to reserved MAC addresses

on the server do a quick net share on command line to see what it says

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Blair

When I ran a net share only the shared printers appeared. I really hope I don’t have to change the IP range, lots of reasons not necessarily IT related that would cause this to be a nightmare.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Blair wrote: »
    When I ran a net share only the shared printers appeared. I really hope I don’t have to change the IP range, lots of reasons not necessarily IT related that would cause this to be a nightmare.
    windows 7 and vista are a lot better at finding network printers than windows xp so you may have to do it eventually

Or go to each printer and make sure IPP / direct print or whatever it's called is turned off,
    also make sure clients aren't sharing to each other

have you confirmed that the printer shares are from that server ?
    have you waited 45+3 minutes (or whatever) since the last change for everyone to forget it

I've always turned off network neighbour hood caching of remembered connections because of stuff like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

There is nothing in common IP addresses,sharing and printers !!! Come on guys...

If you try to install printers listed in AD,using "Find in Directory",then you have aproblem with AD print pruner:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246174/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246269/en-us

If you see the printers just "out there" ,named (auto-shared or auto-listed),check here,that's because they are been auto-published by client OS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320138

...or...

Open Windows Explorer.....
    From the Toolbar, select Tools, Folder Options....
    From the View tab, UNCHECK the Box "Automatically search for network folders and printers
    "

Depending on your search & install procedure,i am sure one of the above will fix your issue !
    Don't start changing IPs...is going to fcuk your network and routing table(s) !!

good luck...

Blair wrote: »
    ya'd only need to do that if the printers were sharing / the pc's were looking for direct shares

wot rolion said

though I do like having some stuff that clients shouldn't see off on other ranges, not that it provides any security at all

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, still not having much luck.

Here’s the scenario.

A user opens “add printer wizard” types in “\\servername\” in the drop down list all printers on the print server a visible and able to install regardless if they are shared out or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

more than likely,when the printer has been shared,has been published/listed in the Active Directory !

somehow,the printer has been un-shared but not removed from ACtive Directory ! The AD database,somehow got corrupted and the pruning hasn't run or removed printers ! Get ADSI fired up and see it from there...

this is my best educated guess... :)
    if you can give me remote acess to your server,i can assist you foc ..

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

Great a group policy to not allow them to install printers - this stops them adding any printers so mke sure they have the right ones installed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

rolion wrote: »
    more than likely,when the printer has been shared,has been published/listed in the Active Directory !

somehow,the printer has been un-shared but not removed from ACtive Directory ! The AD database,somehow got corrupted and the pruning hasn't run or removed printers ! Get ADSI fired up and see it from there...

good luck

I would second this - don't forget the KISS principle when you are solving problems like this.

rolion wrote: »

good luck

Thanks for the replies.

Only Shared printers appear in AD,
    If I add a new non-shared printer it also appears in the server drop down list but not AD.

jamesd wrote: »
    Great a group policy to not allow them to install printers - this stops them adding any printers so mke sure they have the right ones installed first.

Unfortunately that would be a non-runner in my work place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement