Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... a mole digging in a hole.

No more discussion needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

karaokeman wrote: »
    Are a band who have seemingly lost many fans because their lyrics have gotten worse as they matured, and who many argue should have split up in the early 1990s.

Discuss.

They took a career break for a few years. I don't know I still like them. Though I admit their earlier songs were better than the latter ones but they do have the odd goo song since they came back on the scene after their career break. They still play good music despite the various lyrics might not always be on par with what they had done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... a mole digging in a hole.

No more discussion needed.

Give me an example of one songwriter you think is a great lyricist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

doovdela wrote: »
    They took a career break for a few years. I don't know I still like them. Though I admit their earlier songs were better than the latter ones but they do have the odd goo song since they came back on the scene after their career break. They still play good music despite the various lyrics might not always be on par with what they had done before.

how do you mean the career break? I wouldn't say that they ever had a break. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Irish Aris wrote: »
    how do you mean the career break? I wouldn't say that they ever had a break. . .

Well it has been in quite recent years that U2's break between albums is about 4-5 years.

If you want to go for touring, the Vertigo tour ended in 2006 and the 360 tour started in 2009, thats three years of a break from the road.

What do people expect from a career break? These things don't always work out so pleasantly, look at Guns 'n' Roses, took 15 years to release Chinese Democracy and it was terrible. No good songs on that record whatsoever. U2 have had some memorable tunes from the likes of Moment of Surrender, White As Snow, Magnificent, Love and Peace or Else and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own to name on their last two albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Well it has been in quite recent years that U2's break between albums is about 4-5 years.

If you want to go for touring, the Vertigo tour ended in 2006 and the 360 tour started in 2009, thats three years of a break from the road.

What do people expect from a career break? These things don't always work out so pleasantly, look at Guns 'n' Roses, took 15 years to release Chinese Democracy and it was terrible. No good songs on that record whatsoever. U2 have had some memorable tunes from the likes of Moment of Surrender, White As Snow, Magnificent, Love and Peace or Else and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own to name on their last two albums.

true, they take longer between albums.
    I agree with you, that even in a not-so good album, there will be at least a couple of songs to remember.
    For me, the last album was the worst they ever released and still "Unknown Caller" is a totally amazing song!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Yes, we get it, people don't like U2, do we really need another discussion where the cool kids come on and say how lame the band is?

I'm an adult and far from cool, can I not dislike U2 on the basis that I've never enjoyed their music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Give me an example of one songwriter you think is a great lyricist.

Maybe Matt Johnson, of The The?

Anyway, I was just doing a little bit of trolling. I generally like U2 as a band, but always thought the lyrics of Elevation were a bit cheesy.

I think lyrics in music are over-rated, the tune/melody has always been the main thing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

just watching Popmart live from Mexico for the zillionth time, it's my favourite live show recording ever, so so good.

Sure U2 have slipped a bit, but come on, they are on the go for 30 years FFS!! They're in their 50s, I think it's remarkable how consistently good they've been in all that time. No other band comes close in that regard. Live, I've seen hundreds of bands, most of the greats, and nobody touches U2 shows for atmosphere and the actual show/entertainment. I actually gave the 360 shows a miss, and have to say they do need to go back to somethin closer to Popmart (setlist and song style wise), but saying that I really enjoyed the blu ray of the rose bowl.

I get that people don't like U2, sure that's what personal taste is for. But there is some absolute horse**** posted about these guys. I for one hope they keep doing what they're doing for as long as they can, and going by their record breaking tour and their high selling albums(it sold more than Coldplay's last record in the first 2 weeks, so they ain't doin so bad eh), I don't think I'm alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

U2 arnt my favourite band or anything , a few great songs though , at the top for 30 years , people that say they re ****e are either jealous or have a problem with people from Ireland actually making it..
    Anyhow I doubt the lads would care how the minority of a handful of Irish people feel when they are huge all around the world.
    They deserve the respect they have garnered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

cloptrop wrote: »
    people that say they re ****e are either jealous or have a problem with people from Ireland actually making it.. QUOTE]

I would not consider myself to be in either of these camps. I simply dont like their music, and never have.

Why would someone begrudge anyone from Ireland being successful ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Whatever you think of them(and i'm their fiercest critic in aformentioned tax issues), their early music was certainly enjoyable.

For example, turning on the radio and unexpectedly hearing Unforgettable Fire for the first time in years and it's an uplifting quality tune especially for someone like me who was a kid when U2 first came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think they've seen better days, but in their day I think they were a good band. Probably should call it quits at this stage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I think they've seen better days, but in their day I think they were a good band. Probably should call it quits at this stage though.
    Yes they should call it quits while they sell out arenas around the world , it should be such an eye openerto them that a year or two ago they had the biggest grossing tour around , this should make them quit and become painters because lets face it some Irish chap thinks they lack credibility

<EDIT> Oh by the way I was being sarcastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

cloptrop wrote: »
    Yes they should call it quits while they sell out arenas around the world , it should be such an eye openerto them that a year or two ago they had the biggest grossing tour around , this should make them quit and become painters because lets face it some Irish chap thinks they lack credibility

<EDIT> Oh by the way I was being sarcastic

Yeah, they are lacking credibility. If the only thing keeping them together is selling out tours, then it's clear that money is the only thing that matters, not the quality of their recent output, cos God knows they're not what they used to be on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

money is the only thing that matters, not the quality of their recent output, cos God knows they're not what they used to be on that front.

Have you actually listened to No Line On The Horizon? Like fully? A few times? Or are you basing this on your thoughts of Get On Your Boots? Because the album as a whole is fantastic. It was very well received, got many top reviews, and sold well. I really don't think it was anywhere near bad, and certainly not bad enough to make me want them to pack it in.

IMO they've not got a bad album. ATYCLB was as safe as you like but has some fantastic songs. HTDAAB was a bit edgier and again had some great songs. NLOTH was the least "crowd pleasing" of the last 3 and in my mind the best. if they keep goin on that direction, the next album could be another classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

I am a fan of the band and still feel they put out great live shows but they really haven't made a great album since Pop.

In terms of flat out talent Rory Gallagher is probably this country's most gifted rock musician.

Advertisement