Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Strikes Oil off Cork - Recession Over!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

J. Marston wrote: »
    Go home, Yank. 'Tis my oil.

Our oil. I meant our oil.
    In the immortal words of Richard Harris:
    "My father looked at me with tears of pride in his eyes. He knew I'd take care of the Oil. And if you think I'm gonna face my mother in Heaven or in Hell without that Oil, you've got something else coming. No collar, uniform, or weapon will protect the man that stands in my way."

Arise people of Cork and let no man steal away your Oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Bambi wrote: »
    Gwan ourra dat youse have a big brit memorial up in de middle of your city. It was the good men up in the dublin HQ who did the heavy lifting back in 21 while your lot shot up coppers in remote barracks :p
    Who led them?
    Need I say more. :cool:

Oh, and there is no city in The Autonomous Region of West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Does this mean we have a seat at OPEC .....if we export a bit??.

WE could have the AGM in Bray.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Park Royal wrote: »

Don't hold your breath.:D:D

If we find two more wells producing the same amount each, we'll be right up there with another oil-producing country that is a great shining beacon of prosperity for all the world. That country is called

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Albania.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/al.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i believe that company is also drilling in northern irelands waters,is this going to be another falklands issue,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Its all just a wind up to encourage Cork to look for independence so the rest of us can finally be rid of them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Wow , I didnt even have to go to the 2nd page before somebody decided to bring up the bullshít arguments of "fianna fail sold our oil , we gave it away for free" , i wonder how people still listen to that crap

Glad we found oil, no once we can keep shell2sea and all those other hippy idiots away , we might make some money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Park Royal wrote: »

WE could have the AGM in Bray.....

We dont want that , wed have to sell oil in dollars then , id love to see us sell oil in euro and count how many days before the US says we have weapons and need 'liberating'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Do you know the population of Ireland? Any significant amount of oil would be great as it has a tiny popuation. i.e. enough to go around..

4k barrels a day is pittance.

Wrong!

Check this out http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ireland-on-the-verge-of-an-oil-and-gas-bonanza-679889.html

The Dunquin gas field which is 200km off the coast of Kerry contains 25 trillion cubic feet of natural gas and 4,130 million barrels of oil.
    At current values, the Dunquin field alone is worth about 1.2 -1.3 Trillion euros and that's only calculating the value of the oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wrong!

Check this out http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ireland-on-the-verge-of-an-oil-and-gas-bonanza-679889.html

The Dunquin gas field which is 200km off the coast of Kerry contains 25 trillion cubic feet of natural gas and 4,130 million barrels of oil.
    At current values, the Dunquin field alone is worth about 1.2 -1.3 Trillion euros and that's only calculating the value of the oil.

That was 2007:
    To date, the Atlantic Ridge hasn't let anyone down. The Dunquin gas field which is 200km off the coast of Kerry contains an astonishing 25 trillion cubic feet of natural gas and 4,130 million barrels of oil.
    Put into context, this alone would meet our gas needs - at present consumption levels - for the next 62 years.
    The Dunquin field is being principally developed by Exxon Mobil: "With Dunquin we are planning to drill wells next year and 2009. It is deep water, and as a rule of thumb, it takes about five years to get a field into production, so we are looking at 2013 to 2015.
    "The gas will be brought ashore in a pipeline and the oil tankered away," explained John O'Sullivan, Exploration Manager with ProvidenceResources, who have a stake in Dunquin and fields off the coast of Clare.
    Further up the coast is the Spanish Point field, which is 200km off the coast of Clare. The field has known reserves of one and a quarter trillion cubic feet of gas and 206million barrels of oil, and is valued at €19.6bn.
    "At Spanish Point we are looking at drilling wells next year and looking at production in that field in 2011,"explained John O'Sullivan.

Provident Resources again, they do have an incredible record of talking shyte. Anybody know if those 2 fields have started?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

This is good news, not only directly, what this will do is attract further investment for exploration with other oil companies, compared to the North Sea Irish water does not have that many exploration wells. This may pay our pensions etc.

Is it to late for me to retrain into the oil industry. I wouldn't mind being a rough-neck, the oil industry in general could be a big employer here,,fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

With Water Charges coming in shortly I suspect there will be a huge demand

for rough necks.......householders drilling in their back gardens.....

self tapping kits from Argus......

Drill baby drill.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Oh, and there is no city in The Autonomous Region of West Cork.

yet.

:cool:

44leto wrote: »
    This is good news, not only directly, what this will do is attract further investment for exploration with other oil companies, compared to the North Sea Irish water does not have that many exploration wells. This may pay our pensions etc.

Is it to late for me to retrain into the oil industry. I wouldn't mind being a rough-neck, the oil industry in general could be a big employer here,,fingers crossed.
    I reckon that this one will be a "slow burner", lots of setting up, drilling and shutting in and then onto the next bubble of oil.

A good few years worth of work for the right people, but no JR Ewings!

I reckon that this one will be a "slow burner", lots of setting up, drilling and shutting in and then onto the next bubble of oil.

A good few years worth of work for the right people, but no JR Ewings!

I reckon you are wrong, I reckon this is not a bubble in oil but a refection of the true price. The price of oil is not going to fall and if it does it will be by 10 to 20 dollars per barrel and not a dollar less. As the Chinese, Indian, South American and African economies grow and growing they are, the market demand for the finite resource of oil has just got that much bigger.

The price of oil is not coming down drastically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

We'd need nothing more than a few hurleys to keep our oil away from the soft, lily white hands of the rest of ye!!

Ah g'wan out of that. You Corkmen will be begging to give us your "black gold" the way you used to beg to give us the "black rent".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I personally am quite upset that of the one hundred million billion trillion trillion barrels of oil just sitting there we are giving 100% away to evil corporations after we invested tens of millions of our own money into doing surveys and exploration drillings over the last few decades.

I reckon you are wrong, I reckon this is not a bubble in oil but a refection of the true price. The price of oil is not going to fall and if it does it will be by 10 to 20 dollars per barrel and not a dollar less. As the Chinese, Indian, South American and African economies grow and growing they are, the market demand for the finite resource of oil has just got that much bigger.

The price of oil is not coming down drastically.

The bubble I am referring to is the size of the individual "pockets" of oil in the ground, this field isn't like the north sea where one drilled pipe would operate for years.

This field needs repeated drilling to operate.

I never said the price would fall,the point being that this field was uneconomic to produce when oil was "cheap", it would have cost more to get it out of the ground than the oil company could have sold it for, it needed "expensive*" oil to make it worthwhile doing.

Classic supply and demand has driven up the price, as the price rises, the "reserves" (oil that is economically extractable) get larger.

*it's still cheaper per litre than bottled water at the petrol stations!

Zillah wrote: »
    I personally am quite upset that of the one hundred million billion trillion trillion barrels of oil just sitting there we are giving 100% away to evil corporations after we invested tens of millions of our own money into doing surveys and exploration drillings over the last few decades.

I'm not the Irish government could have took a chance, and it is taking a chance, with billions of dollars worth of tax payers money and found no viable well. That would have been part of the risk. Oil companies can afford that risk, we cannot. Remember they have been drilling around the irish coast for 30 years and found 2 viable gas fields.

Oil exploration is a very risky business, the investment required for oil exploration is enormous, you are nearly talking space exploration amount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

roundymac wrote: »
    It's already sold, finders keepers. We get a tax revenue, I think it's 25%, fairly standard industry wide AFAIK. The UK tried to raise it to 32% last year, a lot the operators shut down their wells until it was dropped. None of the oil will even reach shore here, Whitegate cannot refine it without major investment. The oil will be pumped directly into tankers from single point mooring buoys the same as they do in the North sea, and will be ferried straight to Milford Haven. Why bring it ashore here anyway, you'd have that load down from Rossport trying to stop it.
    You could not start a state company here, the EU would not allow it. The Norweigens saw the EU for what it was and decided to stay out, they have total control over their own oil and gas.

...I was under the impression that Whitegate was upgraded and modernised about 20 years ago. After the American crowd bought it, I believe they put money into Whitegate. AFAIR it was Conoco/Phillips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Savage Opress

The people that will profit from this oil strike are,Sir Anthony O'Reilly,JP Morgan Asset Management UK Limited,Henderson Global Investment Limited and BlackRock Investment Management (UK) Limited.
    The Irish people will not profit like the Norwegians did when they struck oil off their coast,any profit will be funneled out of this country and it's economy faster then the oil comes out of the ground

http://www.providenceresources.com/shareholders.aspx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't know, I can see some benefits to a US military invasion of Ireland.

Not least, I get a free flight to see family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Yes it was upgraded, it proccess's North Sea Brent crude. This is compleatly different to what was found off the coast. The Irish oil is a light waxy crude, the North sea oil is AFAIK called sweet crude. Any way after what has gone on in Rossport I'd make sure it never came ashore here if I was Provident.

The people that will profit from this oil strike are,Sir Anthony O'Reilly,JP Morgan Asset Management UK Limited,Henderson Global Investment Limited and BlackRock Investment Management (UK) Limited.
    The Irish people will not profit like the Norwegians did when they struck oil off their coast,any profit will be funneled out of this country and it's economy faster then the oil comes out of the ground

http://www.providenceresources.com/shareholders.aspx

They took the risk, and it was a big risk, they could have ended up losing everything, that is what usually happens with oil exploration.

We the tax payer could have taken the risk, remember they are exploring around our coast for nearly 40 years and all we got was 2 gas fields. That is a huge chunk of oil company fund, we would have lost our bollox.

Norway is a bad example, because they explore in shallow seas.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

I don't like to rain on the Cork parade but if we are to believe what we are told about the Barryroe oil field it contains about 60 million barrels of oil and this would give a production of 3000+ barrels per day. Now if my calculator is correct that means that it can produce for just one year and then its dry.

That's not so good is it, let's hope they can fine a few more oil fields in the Celtic Sea.

Incidentally the current usage of oil in Ireland in one year for transport and heating is believe it or not 60 million barrels. For this we pay about 5.5 billion Euros to import.

Maybe it would be better that we need to think about finding ways to use less oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Silverado wrote: »
    I don't like to rain on the Cork parade but if we are to believe what we are told about the Barryroe oil field it contains about 60 million barrels of oil and this would give a production of 3000+ barrels per day. Now if my calculator is correct that means that it can produce for just one year and then its dry.

That's not so good is it, let's hope they can fine a few more oil fields in the Celtic Sea.

Incidentally the current usage of oil in Ireland in one year for transport and heating is believe it or not 60 million barrels. For this we pay about 5.5 billion Euros to import.

Maybe it would be better that we need to think about finding ways to use less oil.

They are now saying that the output could be 20,000 barrels a day.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/barryroe-oil-output-could-hit-as-much-as-20000-barrels-a-day-187345.html

Also the 60 million barrels is only part of a field which potencially contains 1 billion barrels.Watch the first short video here.

http://www.providenceresources.com/sel%201-11.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Time to buy a new calculator.

[QUOTEOriginally Posted by Silverado
    I don't like to rain on the Cork parade but if we are to believe what we are told about the Barryroe oil field it contains about 60 million barrels of oil and this would give a production of 3000+ barrels per day. Now if my calculator is correct that means that it can produce for just one year and then its dry. ][/QUOTE]

3000 and a very big +,

In certain geological conditions oil can be found but that is not a guarantee, if you have the geological conditions and a field, there is a very high probability more is nearby.

This is all good news so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

How much of the oil is going to be shipped straight to Brussels?

And will petrol go back to a euro a litre??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Word has it all the oil money is being plugged into making cork city a european superpower. in a fairytale 'from ashes to riches' scenario

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How much of the oil is going to be shipped straight to Brussels?

And will petrol go back to a euro a litre??
    Here's a clue

we live in one of the wettest parts of Europe, especially if measure rainfall per capita.

and the price of water is going up supposedly to reduce demand by one fifth of what is lost in leaky pipes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Here's a clue

we live in one of the wettest parts of Europe, especially if measure rainfall per capita.

and the price of water is going up supposedly to reduce demand by one fifth of what is lost in leaky pipes

Well, let's just hope they use better pipes for this oil otherwise if it ever leaks, y'all will never live it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Word has it all the oil money is being plugged into making cork city a european superpower. in a fairytale 'from ashes to riches' scenario

What you mean ashes? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

For everyone comparing us to Norway, here's something to read from their Ministry of Petroleum and Energy:
    Norway’s oil history in 5 minutes

In the late 1950s, very few people believed that the Norwegian continental shelf (NCS) might conceal rich oil and gas deposits. However, the discovery of gas at Groningen in the Netherlands in 1959 caused people to revise their thinking on the petroleum potential of the North Sea. This discovery led to enthusiasm in a part of the world where energy consumption to a large extent was based on coal and imported oil. In the eagerness to find more, attention was drawn to the North Sea. Norway’s geological expertise was negative to oil and gas deposits, but this could not stop the enthusiasm after the gas discovery in the Netherlands.

In October 1962, Philips Petroleum sent an application to the Norwegian authorities, for exploration in the North Sea. The company wanted a licence for the parts of the North Sea that were on Norwegian territory, and that would possibly be included in the Norwegian shelf. The offer was 160,000 dollars per month. The offer was seen as an attempt to get exclusive rights, and for the authorities it was out of the question to hand over the whole shelf to one company. If the areas were to be opened for exploration, more companies had to participate.

In May 1963, Einar Gerhardsen’s government proclaimed sovereignty over the NCS. New regulation determined that the State owns any natural resources on the NCS, and that only the King (government) is authorized to award licences for exploration and production. The same year, companies got the possibility to carry out preparatory exploration. The licenses included rights to perform seismic surveys, but not drilling.

Even though Norway had proclaimed sovereignty of large offshore areas, some important clarifications remained on how to divide the continental shelf, primarily with Denmark and Great Britain. Agreements on dividing the continental shelf in accordance with the median line principle were reached in March 1965. First licensing round was announced on 13 April 1965. 22 production licences for a total of 78 blocks were awarded to oil companies or groups of companies. The production licences gave exclusive rights for exploring, drilling, and production in the licence area. The first well was drilled in the summer of 1966, but it was dry.

With the Ekofisk discovery in 1969, the Norwegian oil adventure really began. Production from the field started on 15 June 1971, and in the following years a number of major discoveries were made. Exploration in the 1970s was confined to the area south of the 62nd parallel. The shelf was gradually opened, and only a restricted number of blocks were awarded in each licensing round. Foreign companies dominated exploration off Norway in the initial phase, and were responsible for developing the country's first oil and gas fields. Statoil was created in 1972, and the principle of 50 percent state participation in each production licence was established. This rule was later changed so that the Storting (the Norwegian parliament) can evaluate whether the level of state participation should be lower or higher, depending on circumstances.

From 1 January 1985, the State's participation in petroleum operations was reorganised. The State's participation was split in two, one linked to the company and the other becoming part of the State's Direct Financial Interest (SDFI) in petroleum operations. SDFI is an arrangement in which the State owns interests in a number of oil and gas fields, pipelines and onshore facilities. Each government take is decided when production licences are awarded and the size varies from field to field. As one of several owners, the State pays its share of investments and costs, and receives a corresponding share of the income from the production licence. The Storting resolved in the spring of 2001 that 21.5 percent of the SDFI's assets could be sold. 15 percent was sold to Statoil and 6.5 percent was sold to other licensees. The sale of SDFI shares to Statoil was seen as an important element on the way to a successful listing and privatisation of Statoil. Statoil was listed in June the same year, and now operates on the same terms as every other player on the NCS. Petoro was established in May 2001 as a state-owned limited company to manage the SDFI on behalf of the State.

Petroleum activities have contributed significantly to economic growth in Norway, and to the financing of the Norwegian welfare state. Through over 40 years of operations, the industry has created values in excess of NOK 8000 billion in current terms. In 2009, the petroleum sector accounted for 21 percent of value creation in the country. This is three times the value creation of the manufacturing industry and around 22 times the total value creation of the primary industries.

Since the petroleum industry started its activities on the NCS, enormous sums have been invested in exploration, field development, transport infrastructure and land facilities. At the end of 2009, this amounted to some NOK 3000 billion in current terms. Investments in 2009 amounted to over NOK 134 billion, or 26 percent of the country's total real investments.

In spite of more than 40 years of production, only around 40 percent of the total expected resources on the NCS have been produced. Norwegian oil production has remained at plateau level of about 3 million barrels per day since 1995. Production (including NGL) reached a peak in 2001 of 3.4 million barrels per day. In 2009, the oil production had decreased to 2.4 barrels per day, and is expected to shrink further in the years to come. However, because of increasing gas production, total petroleum production is likely to grow in the coming years. From representing approximately 43 percent of the total Norwegian petroleum production in 2009, gas production will probably increase its share to more than 50 percent in 2013.

(Updatet 11.2010)

...not exactly comparable to Ireland, yet.

Also, Norway may tax the profits from oil and gas at 78%, but they also refund 78% of all exploration costs if you drill a dry well. There is no way Ireland should (or could) do this at the moment - it costs around €70 million to drill a well in the deep waters off the west coast.

That said, if it does turn out we have massive oil reserves, akin to Norway's, I'd be totally in favour of setting up an Irish Statoil (Státola? :D). We can also always change tax rates in the future, if anything is found.

Sulmac wrote: »
    For everyone comparing us to Norway, here's something to read from their Ministry of Petroleum and Energy:

...not exactly comparable to Ireland, yet.

Also, Norway may tax the profits from oil and gas at 78%, but they also refund 78% of all exploration costs if you drill a dry well. There is no way Ireland should (or could) do this at the moment - it costs around €70 million to drill a well in the deep waters off the west coast.

That said, if it does turn out we have massive oil reserves, akin to Norway's, I'd be totally in favour of setting up an Irish Statoil (Státola? :D). We can also always change tax rates in the future, if anything is found.

That is not an option for us, most our potential oil is deep water oil, Norways is swallow water oil. With deep water drilling it is massively expensive and cutting edge to harvest the find.

Ohh and it could still go very very wrong, we have seen it with the deep water horizon rig in the gulf of mexico. Sometimes I feel the deep wells is not worth the risk, remember it is a deep well in the atlantic ocean, not the nice and pleasent Gulf of Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

That is not an option for us, most our potential oil is deep water oil, Norways is swallow water oil. With deep water drilling it is massively expensive and cutting edge to harvest the find.

Ohh and it could still go very very wrong, we have seen it with the deep water horizon rig in the gulf of mexico. Sometimes I feel the deep wells is not worth the risk, remember it is a deep well in the atlantic ocean, not the nice and pleasent Gulf of Mexico.

What are you on about?

The oil found in the Barryroe field is in shallow water,100 metres deep.

Another potential oil deposit near Dalkey island,Dublin is also in shallow water.

Granted the Spanish Point field off the west coast is 400 metres deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

That calculation is incorrect, but you also have to allow for the fact that drilling doesn't just occur at one spot. It would be 3000 barrels per rig per day; not 3,000 barrells per field per day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Here's a clue

Rain water is free.

Processed, clean, drinkable, taped water isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

While I agree that deep water drilling is very challenging and expensive(the ill fated Deepwater Horizon rig costed in excess of $600,000 per day to run).

I point out that the a lot of the wells in the Gulf of Mexico are located under ~1500m of water, and the gulf is the domain of many hurricanes; not altogether nice and pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Bababa2012

Here's a clue

Rain water is free.

Processed, clean, drinkable, taped water isn't.

Clean drinkable tap water...where do u get that?

Have to filter mine( remove dirt and flouride)and clean out the filter every 6weeks or so. Isn't much cleaner than the jacks in trainspotting!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Bababa2012 wrote: »

Have to filter mine( remove dirt and flouride)and clean out the filter every 6weeks or so. Isn't much cleaner than the jacks in trainspotting!!!
    I'm sorry to hear your water isn't up to standard but any water I've ever drunk in Ireland from a tap has been just fine. What you describe does sound quite extreme and unpleasant and I would understand you being unhappy to pay water charges for that.

I'm sorry to hear your water isn't up to standard but any water I've ever drunk in Ireland from a tap has been just fine. What you describe does sound quite extreme and unpleasant and I would understand you being unhappy to pay water charges for that.

U can drink it. And I used to.. But ur drinking the muck as well. And floride isn't good for u except in small doses..and u get that in the toothpaste unless u choose fluoride free.
    Would ask u to get a filter..and take a look at it after 6 weeks of constant use. Might change ur mind!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

U can drink it. And I used to.. But ur drinking the muck as well. And floride isn't good for u except in small doses..and u get that in the toothpaste unless u choose fluoride free.
    Would ask u to get a filter..and take a look at it after 6 weeks of constant use. Might change ur mind!!

does drinking the water also take your ability typing the "y and o" in "you"?

pmcmahon wrote: »

does drinking the water also take your ability typing the "y and o" in "you"?

A troll it is!!...doesn't seem to bother u using the shorthand version of ur name. Little else to be doing than pointing irrelevant things out!! Good man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

K-9 wrote: »
    That was 2007:

Yes and wasn't Sunday May 20 2007, pretty clearly written on the article link I provided?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

From RTE.ie;
    Oil exploration company Providence has said the Barryroe Oil Field off the southern Cork coast probably contains over a billion barrels of oil.

There is a possibility that it could contain up to 1.6 billion barrels.
    In a statement to the Stock Exchange, the company said it was up to four times previous expectations.

The assessment was based on data from six oil wells drilled by Barryroe, together with 3D seismic data, as well as other regional data.

Providence is listed on the Dublin's ESM and the AIM in London.
    Shares in the oil company closed at €8.35 yesterday.

Will this be of any great benefit to the state? Its a potentially huge source of income that's for sure, but does the state have rights to this Oil field? Will this be another Corrib Gas fiasco??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Its already gone lads, just forget about it :( and Im sure it'll only make the price of petrol rise too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Don't tell America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's a reasonable bit, but in context it's nowhere near the size of the Norwegian resources which are about 27billion barrels.

It's probably worth about 100 billion $ in total (maybe 600m extraction costs)
    remove profits then tax it at about 40%

Not bad, but not megabucks either.

It could mean there's a lot more out there though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Heard this on the way to work, shame the state wont benefit from it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement