Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC, upgrade to 100mb worth it?

• 15-03-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I have the 25mb package with upc and it works great. I get full download and upload speed and great pings.

Is it worth the extra 10 euro a month to upgrade to the 100mb package or will you really gain much from upgrading from 25mb to 100mb, would the upgrade improve gaming? and will most website allow you to download at 100mb in the first place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No, once you have over 3mbit you will see zero difference in the speed of pages opening. There will be no changes in gaming either, the latency you have will be the same, gaming does not need speed. It will allow you download and stream at higher speeds, depending of course on the source of those files or streams and whether they're able for speeds greater than 25mbit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm on the 100mb package and find it excellent. Obviously it wont speed up every site as they have bandwitdh limitations but the bigger sites you visit like youtube and downloading using torrents will use up all of your connection. :)

The latency will be the same as on your current package I'd imagine unless they've set up different routing for the higher package.

Just so you're aware, if you plan on connecting with wireless your lightly to see a about 60mb. If your plugging straight into the router thats not a problem you should get the full 100mb

LoGiE

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

LoGiE wrote: »
    I'm on the 100mb package and find it excellent. Obviously it wont speed up every site as they have bandwitdh limitations but the bigger sites you visit like youtube and downloading using torrents will use up all of your connection. :)

The latency will be the same as on your current package I'd imagine unless they've set up different routing for the higher package.

Just so you're aware, if you plan on connecting with wireless your lightly to see a about 60mb. If your plugging straight into the router thats not a problem you should get the full 100mb

LoGiE

Yeah Im wired, dont think Ill bother with an upgrade, the dl speed is already very quick and I would rarely benefit from over 25mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you were uploading a lot of data then it might be worth it, but other than that, probably not for most peoples needs.

the other thing is, everyone gets the 500gb limit now, so it's not even worth it to get more of a monthly allowance any more, like it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I would imagine unless you have chronic ADHD any of their lower/cheaper offerings will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

LoGiE wrote: »
    ...The latency will be the same as on your current package I'd imagine unless they've set up different routing for the higher package...

I wonder would they resolve any latency issues with a higher package though?

Advertisement