Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room Soundproofing

• 15-03-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has ideas on soundproofing a room.

Our three year old's room is at the corner of the house, and is really noisy.

The place was re-insulated on the interior about three years ago, so i'm reluctant to start tearing down walls again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

giftgrub wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone here has ideas on soundproofing a room.

Our three year old's room is at the corner of the house, and is really noisy.

The place was re-insulated on the interior about three years ago, so i'm reluctant to start tearing down walls again.

Ok, I dont mean to be funny and it may be obvious ( I know, this isn't AH)

Im not sure why the corner of the house is pertinent? do you mean its got more exposed sides, and are you trying to stop noise coming in from outside or something else.

You say it was insulated already, do you mean just dry lined/or with thermal insulation, Im not an expert but I dont think either of those will necessarily slow sound as much something (some kind of foam) designed to reduce noise.

Are you on/near a busy road, what is the source of the noise? what is the issue and how does it affect you/the child?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ITB

As the poster above said it'd be important to know the source of the noise. If it's external noise then your weak points acoustically will most likely be the vents and the windows.
    If it's noise from the adjoining property (i.e sound insulation across the wall) then you might look at upgrading the sound insulation of this partition. For the best results adding mass and disconnection are the two key principles. There are DIY solutions out there but there's also a company called Cunas who do a complete install service.

Advertisement