Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STUDENTS IN GLENCARRAIG ESTATE SLIGO.

Options
  • 15-03-2012 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

What in the name of God is happening in Glencarraig housing estate in Ballinode???? last Tuesday night there was up to 200 students having a drinks and drugs party in one house, God help the eldery residents of that estate, this has to stop. :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Not to nit pick or anything, but how do you know there were 200 and they were doing drugs???

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bustler

The Brewery have a promotion thing on Tuesday nights where students are encouraged to enter a draw to be nominated as the house party that night. For the pleasure of 'winning' the draw, the people who host the house party win a bottle of vodka and anybody from the pub comes back to their house. I'm a student, I haven't been to this event but I've heard my classmates talk about it in college. I think it's incredibly irresponsible of the brewery to promote and encourage this, I'm sure they realise the outcome of their actions and I doubt they would nominate an one of the designated student estates such as Gateway or Clarion as security is too heavy there to allow this to happen. But hey, the Brewery are making a lot of money on what is Traditionally a quiet night, so let's throw any morals we have out the window, shall we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

cassi wrote: »
    Not to nit pick or anything, but how do you know there were 200 and they were doing drugs???
    Hi ya Cassie, It's was all over the media this morning, full-time residents living in that estate were imprisioned in their own houses because of the antics of these people, pictures on Ocean FM web site showed at least 200 people at that house. I am all for enjoying myself but these Sligo IT students were taking the p*ss altogether. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Hi ya Cassie, It's was all over the media this morning, full-time residents living in that estate were imprisioned in their own houses because of the antics of these people, pictures on Ocean FM web site showed at least 200 people at that house. I am all for enjoying myself but these Sligo IT students were taking the p*ss altogether. :mad:

Was drugs mentioned???? How do you know they were taking drugs??? Or just having a guess

Oh, just to make it clear, I doubt all of these people were IT Sligo students. Quite a few people that I work with who don't attend the IT have been to the Brewery for the last few Tuesdays. And as for drugs, I didn't hear anything about illegal drugs. I assume alcohol and tobacco may have been consumed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

hard to believe the stupidity of the bar and anyone who'd stick their house down for that! bye bye deposit and roof over ones head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Bustler wrote: »
    Oh, just to make it clear, I doubt all of these people were IT Sligo students. Quite a few people that I work with who don't attend the IT have been to the Brewery for the last few Tuesdays. And as for drugs, I didn't hear anything about illegal drugs. I assume alcohol and tobacco may have been consumed.

I'd be very suprised if the party didn't mostly consist of students or part of their social circle at least.

There is no doubt that the estate has fallen into quite a bit of disorder over the past few years thanks to the number of students in Glencarraig and the proximity of a bar to it. As someone who goes in and out of this estate on numerous occasions during the course of a working week I have seen it's decline with my own two eyes over the last ten years.

Certainly not the kind of place you would want to live in if you were trying to raise a family.

I agree AllGuns, however I felt it was pertinent to raise the notion that some of the people involved may not have been students. I feel very sorry for any of the families that live in a student estate. I choose not to rent the IT/Ballinode side of town as I don't think it can be a suitable family environment, I do empathise with those who have to live there.

However, I feel the main point is that the Brewery is actively promoting anti-social behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

well even if there were 30 students and not one of them were doing drugs , I would be amazed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

duckysauce wrote: »
    well even if there were 30 students and not one of them were doing drugs , I would be amazed.

I wouldn't be. Not every student does drugs believe it or not, and there are even big groups of them who don't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I wouldn't be. Not every student does drugs believe it or not, and there are even big groups of them who don't

thats great to hear, things have changed alot to when I was a student so.

Was drugs mentioned???? How do you know they were taking drugs??? Or just having a guess
    Yes. drugs were mentioned, but you are missing the point altogether, over 200 people caused complete havoc in a residential area where some of the full time residents had to lock themselves in ut of pure fear. wheres the so called students union when it's needed???

Bustler wrote: »
    I agree AllGuns, however I felt it was pertinent to raise the notion that some of the people involved may not have been students. I feel very sorry for any of the families that live in a student estate. I choose not to rent the IT/Ballinode side of town as I don't think it can be a suitable family environment, I do empathise with those who have to live there.

However, I feel the main point is that the Brewery is actively promoting anti-social behaviour.
    Bustler I don't expect you to say anything else to be honest, the fact still remains that the estate in question has now become a no-go area for decent law abiding Sligo people, I would go as far as saying the students should be evicted by their landlords, God only knows what the inside of the houses are like.

Really?? so tell me UrbanSea what influences were those two IT students under when they were caught coming down the stairs of that house with the 'bath' in their arms??? Some how I don't think it was spring water and amber leaf, do you??? :rolleyes:

Really?? so tell me UrbanSea what influences were those two IT students under when they were caught coming down the stairs of that house with the 'bath' in their arms??? Some how I don't think it was spring water and amber leaf, do you??? :rolleyes:

They might have had a few jars on them I'd imagine. Don't think many students actually drink spring water on a night out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

people imprisoned in there homes:rolleyes:can you make it any more dramatic.. next you will be claiming that they held the housing estate at gun point. a party was had it got out of control.
    so where are the pictures that your raving on about on ocean fm
    there are the two articles with no pictures
    http://oceanfm.ie/article/IT-Sligo-SU-send-clean-up-crew-following-house-party/
    http://oceanfm.ie/article/Anti-social-behaviour-in-Sligo-estate-/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Some mates in Uni couldn't leave anything alone, they stole doors from mates houses, traffic signs, garden ornaments and yes even two bath tubs. They didn't do drugs, but yes they drank excessively. People don't need to take drugs to do incredibly stupid things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Did the gardai turn up on the night?

The Gardai should not have to wait for trouble to erupt before they decide to show their faces around places like Glencarraig. It is after all an area with a high concentration of young people with a pub in close proximity. It doesn't take a sherlock holmes to figure that it might on occasion get a bit rowdy there once the sun goes down.

I also doubt that it would be a huge drain on their resources for a patrol car to swing through the estate on a nightly basis just to make sure the peace is being kept. Mind you, I could start a whole new thread on our local law enforcement and their visibility in the community.:rolleyes:

people imprisoned in there homes:rolleyes:can you make it any more dramatic.. next you will be claiming that they held the housing estate at gun point. a party was had it got out of control.
    so where are the pictures that your raving on about on ocean fm
    there are the two articles with no pictures
    http://oceanfm.ie/article/IT-Sligo-SU-send-clean-up-crew-following-house-party/
    http://oceanfm.ie/article/Anti-social-behaviour-in-Sligo-estate-/

May I suggest that you contact Ocean FM and ask them to re-post the pictures that were sent into them, and yes, many of the older residents locked themselves into their homes out of fear, and were afraid to confront these thugs, to be honest I knew it was too good to last, RAG week was too good to be through. I am glad forza that you find this funny, I am sure the residents in Ballinode / Glencarraig don't.

• Advertisement

I heard that the guards went down and sat doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Can't have been students involved. They do'nt have the money due to college fees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Yes of course not every student does drugs, however, if in a group of 30 at a party going on past midnight I would say the law of averages would suggest there was some drug taking.

Not that I give a **** to be honest and it could open up the whole debate about which illegal drugs actually do less harm to you than say drink or fags but lets not pretend that it was a mothers meeting. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Great night in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

I've seen stone-sober people do a lot more stupid things in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I've seen stoned-sober people do a lot more stupid things in college.

FYP:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bebop25

red sean wrote: »
    Can't have been students involved. They do'nt have the money due to college fees etc.

I hope that is sarcasm???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bebop25

The Gardai should not have to wait for trouble to erupt before they decide to show their faces around places like Glencarraig. It is after all an area with a high concentration of young people with a pub in close proximity. It doesn't take a sherlock holmes to figure that it might on occasion get a bit rowdy there once the sun goes down.

I also doubt that it would be a huge drain on their resources for a patrol car to swing through the estate on a nightly basis just to make sure the peace is being kept. Mind you, I could start a whole new thread on our local law enforcement and their visibility in the community.:rolleyes:

I have family living in the estate and to be fair the Gardai do send a patrol car down numerous times in the day and night, but when you have 200+ drunk sudents gathering it is riot Gardai needed not a patrol car. From what I have seen in the estate and surrounding area students just dont fear the law its all a big game.

I was in Glencarraig on wednesday and the place is in an absolute kip state. Wheely bins have been left overturned in the street with the contents strewn everywhere.

That estate was one of the better kept areas of the town before the college began to expand. It now resembles a dumping ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Bebop25 wrote: »
    I hope that is sarcasm???

Yep! Sarcasm of a taxpayer and parent of a student.(not in Sligo IT)

Advertisement