Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STUDENTS IN GLENCARRAIG ESTATE SLIGO.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

What is it about Sligo IT students and the level of muppetry that seems to come with them, they are notorious for it even around the country. I lived on Campus in Dublin (UCD) and never encountered anything even close to what I've witnessed or experienced on student res in Sligo.

I have to pass an IT res every day going to work and not a single day goes by that I haven't experienced some sort of smart remark shouted at me, apples or beer cans thrown at me (and other pedestrians/passing cars,) people being sprayed with super soakers etc On one occasion I witness students shouting racist remarks at a couple of black girls walking under their balcony. Another time I saw some shouting at a parent with their child, stuff like 'watch out for paedophiles' All this in broad daylight without a slightest hint of embarrassment for what they're doing.

And it's not just one or two bad eggs you really get the impression that it's the consensus for how students behave there. Like one or two students will throw the apple but there will be about a dozen others witnessing it and laughing along. It really p*sses me off that these types are supposed to be the country's best and brightest, most privileged? I'm from Cranmore, never experienced anything like it there.

/rant :o

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Not a single day goes by with something? I find that hard to believe. I'm not sure what part of Cranmore you used to live in, but some parts must be bad as there are numerous CCTV cameras in the area, not to mention what I have heard from people living there!

It's also definitely just a few bad eggs, 200-300 people at a house party? That's only 4-5% of the students present at the IT. Some of them are complete and utter tossers, but the vast majority are not.

Has anybody seen the videos from Galway's unofficial rag week? I have never seen the like of it here in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The centre of Cranmore estate was gutted and replaced with an open plan a few years ago. It's not trouble free (no housing estate is) but it's a damn site quieter than it once was.

At least there was a recognition from the local authorities that Cranmore needed to be dealt with - but a blind eye is obviously being turned when it comes to the housing estates that serve the IT. I'd imagine this has a lot to do with the money that comes with the influx of a student population.

If anyone thinks there is exaggeration going on here then by all means take a quick walk through the glencarraig estate and see for yourself. The place is a now a sh*t hole. Easily the worst in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Razleavy wrote: »
    Not a single day goes by with something? I find that hard to believe. I'm not sure what part of Cranmore you used to live in, but some parts must be bad as there are numerous CCTV cameras in the area, not to mention what I have heard from people living there!

It's also definitely just a few bad eggs, 200-300 people at a house party? That's only 4-5% of the students present at the IT. Some of them are complete and utter tossers, but the vast majority are not.

Has anybody seen the videos from Galway's unofficial rag week? I have never seen the like of it here in Sligo.
    In fairness Razleavy the residents in Glencarraig are living in Sligo and not in Galway, While 200/300 students at a house party may seem a small amount in your eyes I think the Glencarraig residents might disagree with you some what. I am sorry, It's not good enough and it has to stop. I wonder if these students will come back and clean up the vomit, broken bottles and glasses, empty cans, and wash down the urine that they have left there. they will like fu*k! One wonders if the landlords who rent these houses are registered with the PRTB???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bebop25

I have family living in Glencarraig who have lived there about 14 years and the IT Sligo students arent the worst of them, yes they party for RAG week, there is a pub near by, what used to be an estate full of families has changed to be mostly students and the residents have no problem with that or with students having a good time. The main issue is the fact a good time has change into Breaking windows (which was done to a residents house ) and also trying to kick down a door on the way home. Have a small party by all means but 200+ is antisocial behaviour. Also there is over 60 landlords or so who own houses in the estate I personally think they need to take more responsibility for there tenants ok they cant police it every night but windows hanging off, bins not empty you get the feeling that as long as the rent is in a bank account every month some of them dont come near the place. Alot has to change but as someone with family around I dont think this problem is just Students.

• Advertisement

Bebop25 wrote: »
    I have family living in Glencarraig who have lived there about 14 years and the IT Sligo students arent the worst of them, yes they party for RAG week, there is a pub near by, what used to be an estate full of families has changed to be mostly students and the residents have no problem with that or with students having a good time. The main issue is the fact a good time has change into Breaking windows (which was done to a residents house ) and also trying to kick down a door on the way home. Have a small party by all means but 200+ is antisocial behaviour. Also there is over 60 landlords or so who own houses in the estate I personally think they need to take more responsibility for there tenants ok they cant police it every night but windows hanging off, bins not empty you get the feeling that as long as the rent is in a bank account every month some of them dont come near the place. Alot has to change but as someone with family around I dont think this problem is just Students.
    You start off your post by saying that the local IT yobbos are not the worst of them, then you say that the windows are hanging off some of the houses not to mention windows and doors kicked in in private residences in Glencarraig etc, Tell me why do you think most of the families have moved out of this estate over the years? I'll tell you why... over the years landlords have rented houses to groups of spotty teenagers who had left home for the first time who hadn't got a clue how to clean their own ars*s never mind how to look after themselves. They should be all rounded up and sent back to their own counties, enough is enough. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    You start off your post by saying that the local IT yobbos are not the worst of them, then you say that the windows are hanging off some of the houses not to mention windows and doors kicked in in private residences in Glencarraig etc, Tell me why do you think most of the families have moved out of this estate over the years? I'll tell you why... over the years landlords have rented houses to groups of spotty teenagers who had left home for the first time who hadn't got a clue how to clean their own ars*s never mind how to look after themselves. They should be all rounded up and sent back to their own counties, enough is enough. :mad:

Yes, this is the best solution. Keep students to their own counties.

I'll leave college in Dublin based on this great advice and move to the IT here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jd.

What in the name of God is happening in Glencarraig housing estate in Ballinode???? last Tuesday night there was up to 200 students having a drinks and DRUGS PARTY in one house, God help the eldery residents of that estate, this has to stop. :mad: :mad:

drink and DRUGS party....how do you know that there was drugs involved in anything... how do you know that there were all IT Sligo students.... you are painting all students in the IT with the same brush... which is highly unfair.... don't you think.... the stupidity and ignorance of a small few should not reflect on the many students in the college that work hard and do their best in college.... how many involved were not students at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jd.

Truley wrote: »
    What is it about Sligo IT students and the level of muppetry that seems to come with them, they are notorious for it even around the country. I lived on Campus in Dublin (UCD) and never encountered anything even close to what I've witnessed or experienced on student res in Sligo.

I have to pass an IT res every day going to work and not a single day goes by that I haven't experienced some sort of smart remark shouted at me, apples or beer cans thrown at me (and other pedestrians/passing cars,) people being sprayed with super soakers etc On one occasion I witness students shouting racist remarks at a couple of black girls walking under their balcony. Another time I saw some shouting at a parent with their child, stuff like 'watch out for paedophiles' All this in broad daylight without a slightest hint of embarrassment for what they're doing.

And it's not just one or two bad eggs you really get the impression that it's the consensus for how students behave there. Like one or two students will throw the apple but there will be about a dozen others witnessing it and laughing along. It really p*sses me off that these types are supposed to be the country's best and brightest, most privileged? I'm from Cranmore, never experienced anything like it there.

/rant :o
    how many students in UCD and how spread out over the biggest city in ireland is it... coarse they are problems like this in UCD but because the IT is so confined and is a town it looks bad... So you think UCD have no anti Social behaviours at all is it

My point is there was alot of people down that were NOT IT Sligo I just think its unfair to say its all students, the estate has got so run down because landlords are not maintaing houses or checking them. Students have always moved away for college, they have always had parties but from one year to the next the houses are not looked after I personally have been in several and if the landlord wont maintain it why do you expect students to ??>??

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Yes, this is the best solution. Keep students to their own counties.

I'll leave college in Dublin based on this great advice and move to the IT here
    You are missing the point I am making, If these idiots are hell bent on causing complete and utter distruction in Sligo then they should be ran back to their own town,no more than if you were doing the same in Dublin then yes, you should be ran back down the M50, why should law-biding residents have to put up with that crap?

My point is there was alot of people down that were NOT IT Sligo I just think its unfair to say its all students, the estate has got so run down because landlords are not maintaing houses or checking them. Students have always moved away for college, they have always had parties but from one year to the next the houses are not looked after I personally have been in several and if the landlord wont maintain it why do you expect students to ??>??

My understanding was that there was an open invitation to a house party that night, what did the tennants of that house expect, 200 gormless idiots would not have been in Glencarraig at a house party unless they were aware of the party in the first place.

My understanding was that there was an open invitation to a house party that night, what did the tennants of that house expect, 200 gormless idiots would not have been in Glencarraig at a house party unless they were aware of the party in the first place.

It started off as a comp in the local pub that the Dj would announce what house the party was in and see who could throw the best one its been going on weeks but the last few have got out of control because alot of non students have heard about it and come down . Do you honestly think a few IT students came up with this themselves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

It started off as a comp in the local pub that the Dj would announce what house the party was in and see who could throw the best one its been going on weeks but the last few have got out of control because alot of non students have heard about it and come down . Do you honestly think a few IT students came up with this themselves ?

Are you implying they're not smart enough? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

"The Head of IT Sligo, Professor Terri Scott has warned students to behave or face disciplinary action after a second Tuesday night house party results in nine arrests" - Sligo Weekender

thats not a woman you want to cross!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    "The Head of IT Sligo, Professor Terri Scott has warned students to behave or face disciplinary action after a second Tuesday night house party results in nine arrests" - Sligo Weekender

thats not a woman you want to cross!

Meh, she's full of hot air that one, not the first time she's bandied that idle threat about. General consensus is that the IT has gone downhill since she showed up too.

I know someone who owned a house in Glencarrig circa 2000. They sold up then because from what they could tell it was far too much trouble. This is when the student population of the estate was much smaller than the residential one.

Speaking as a graduate of IT Sligo, the majority of students are fine, but even 2% of a 6,000+ population causing trouble can equal a heck of a lot of trouble. And that's trouble that no resident of any estate should have to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

this unruley behaviour hasnt started today or yesterday its going on a few years now i have saw some of the distruction first hand,

in my oppinion there are alot of factors to blame from the students the IT and the landlords.

not all landlords are to blame some are fighting a loosing battle small few perhaps but they try to keep their tennents right, but i have worked on some of these properties fixing the needless damage,for example one property students had moved out so a few nights later the was kicked down and it was party central.
    but the majority of landlords dont care they want the rent and nothing else.

not all students are at fault i know students living in there and they keep thing right but it takes a small few to ruin things.

but at the end of day it all boils down to one thing is respect.
    and that is not been shown in the way the estate is kept,the behaviour,and treatment to familys living there,it all boils down to lack of respect.

i think the IT and the Students union have to get up of their backsides and start taking action.perhaps some harsh actions have to be taken.
    also the bad vibes surrounding these issues are turning parents off send their kids to sligo IT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Razleavy wrote: »

I live in Cranmore, and have no idea of what you're talking about. I've also got two small girls growing up here. Scum central it certainly isn't and I for one would rather live here than in Glencarrig during the college term.

I say that having spent over 6 weeks working in a student house in Glencarrig refitting it after flood damage. The house was bigger, more space, bigger front and back gardens, peaceful with little to no traffic, and lovely place to be in the nice weather. Truly a nice little place to be. Add students to the mix, and forget about it. Not for all the tea in china. I know, because I've been down there doing repairs while the students are in and I've seen what its like.

I live in Cranmore, and have no idea of what you're talking about. I've also got two small girls growing up here. Scum central it certainly isn't and I for one would rather live here than in Glencarrig during the college term.

I say that having spent over 6 weeks working in a student house in Glencarrig refitting it after flood damage. The house was bigger, more space, bigger front and back gardens, peaceful with little to no traffic, and lovely place to be in the nice weather. Truly a nice little place to be. Add students to the mix, and forget about it. Not for all the tea in china. I know, because I've been down there doing repairs while the students are in and I've seen what its like.

I wouldn't call it scum central, but it certainly has had problems and still has.CCTV cameras (due to trouble), 3 murders and muggins, etc. I'm sure other parts of it are rougher than others and sadly it's only a few that ruin it for everyone :( It's a pity we just can't get rid of the troublemakers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Seems the Guards are clamping down according to the front of The Champion, going as far as keeping some cells free in surrounding towns, as the one in Sligo Town were all full last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Given that the problem seems to be with the local bar running it's "Who had the best party" night, why don't the Gardai simply pay a visit to the owner(s) & have a quiet word in their ear(s)? Are they that hard to find? I would assume their name is on the licence. Are they violating the terms & conditions of their licence in any way?
    My mother used to say to us whenever we used the excuse "We didn't mean for it to happen!" "It's all fun & games til someone loses a eye." In much the same way, this was probably a bit of a laugh starting out but it's gone beyond that now.

jd. wrote: »
    drink and DRUGS party....how do you know that there was drugs involved in anything... how do you know that there were all IT Sligo students.... you are painting all students in the IT with the same brush... which is highly unfair.... don't you think.... the stupidity and ignorance of a small few should not reflect on the many students in the college that work hard and do their best in college.... how many involved were not students at all....
    eh, a small few??....over 200 idiots were invited down to Glencarraig estate to a house that is rented by IT students, perhaps if you take the time to read local, national and on-line print media you will see what I am talking about, tell the owner / occupiers of houses that 200 drunken louts are but a few students in your eyes, the fact remain s that these students were invited down to Glencarraig for a piss up and to hell to all the families that live there. When local Gardai had to draft in twenty extra Gardai for the Tuesday night antics then you now there is a serious problem. What can you take from that??? if the party wasn't organised by these muppets then there would not be a problem in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

jd. wrote: »
    eh, a small few??....over 200 idiots were invited down to Glencarraig estate to a house that is rented by IT students, perhaps if you take the time to read local, national and on-line print media you will see what I am talking about, tell the owner / occupiers of houses that 200 drunken louts are but a few students in your eyes, the fact remain s that these students were invited down to Glencarraig for a piss up and to hell to all the families that live there. When local Gardai had to draft in twenty extra Gardai for the Tuesday night antics then you now there is a serious problem. What can you take from that??? if the party wasn't organised by these muppets then there would not be a problem in the first place!

Ham come on, from the thousands of students in the IT 200 is a small amount!

Theses are idiots that caused damage no doubt but outa the entire population of the college its hardly fair to tar them all with the same brush, and really does nothing for getting things to change if you just gonna assume all studenta are trouble maker drug users.

The majority of students there are decent and do good work. Its been a while since i left college there but i can still see the work they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

( 200 * 100) / 6500 = 3.08 %

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I blame the guards for all the rowdy behavior the have gone on for the past 10 years at least although it seemed to quieten down over the past 2 years or so.I went to the I.T myself and am a regular out on student nights because my days off are Wednesday and Thursday.Many times i have seen the guards turn and a blind eye to people shouting,drinking,pissing,fighting ect on the streets in town from Sunday till Thursday.A get tough approach is needed.If you went into town on a Friday or Saturday night and did what the students did during the week you would be lifted straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

gustavo wrote: »
    ( 200 * 100) / 6500 = 3.08 %

And that's assuming that every person present is attending the IT..

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

There were a few hundred students on the beach in the Point yestetdsy and left in s thrashed condition beer cans and detritus everywhere, I have seen such drunken tramps of women in daylight hours as for the men no wonder its open season on them in the chip shops of Sydney.

There were a few hundred students on the beach in the Point yestetdsy and left in s thrashed condition beer cans and detritus everywhere, I have seen such drunken tramps of women in daylight hours as for the men no wonder its open season on them in the chip shops of Sydney.

Wat. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

No one is saying the IT should be shutdown and every student chased out of Sligo by a pitchfork wielding mob (tempting as that may be :D). But it is high time the IT finally faced up to the anti social behavior of a certain number of it's student population and actually did something about it. I seriously doubt that the rationale of "sure it's only a minority" is much consolation to local householders. That minority is causing a major amount of trouble.

The fact is that Glencarraig estate is in a terrible state of disrepair and downright squalor, and this has coincided with the rise of student accommodation in the area.

And again, anyone who thinks this is an overstatement by all means go and see for yourself. There are days when the place resembles a tip.

Advertisement