Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STUDENTS IN GLENCARRAIG ESTATE SLIGO.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Irregardless of the fact that 200 people equates to approx 3% of the student body, it's still a sizeable amount of drunken louts shouting/screaming/singing in an area that still has residential families living within the estate.

Imagine how terrifying that could be to a young child/single parent/babysitter in the area when such a "party" escalates to that level!! Completely out of order. The Gardai can only hold so many in the cells and those arrested at the last party have been charged according to the Champion.

Personally if I was a member of one of the families living there, I'd drive through the estate recording what's going on so that the more destructive culprits get whats coming to them.

Out of interest, are there any cameras in the estate? If not, time to get the finger out and throw a few up so the area can be monitored sufficiently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

cassi wrote: »
    Ham come on, from the thousands of students in the IT 200 is a small amount!

Theses are idiots that caused damage no doubt but outa the entire population of the college its hardly fair to tar them all with the same brush, and really does nothing for getting things to change if you just gonna assume all studenta are trouble maker drug users.

The majority of students there are decent and do good work. Its been a while since i left college there but i can still see the work they are doing.

Hi Cassi. With respect I didn't knock the college as a whole, I can imagine that there are students attending the IT who are embarrassed by it all. However I do believe that the IT board have to take a proactive approach and make sure this does not happen again. The students union played a blinder during rag week, where are they on Tuesday nights???

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

No one is saying the IT should be shutdown and every student chased out of Sligo by a pitchfork wielding mob (tempting as that may be :D). But it is high time the IT finally faced up to the anti social behavior of a certain number of it's student population and actually did something about it. I seriously doubt that the rationale of "sure it's only a minority" is much consolation to local householders. That minority is causing a major amount of trouble.

The fact is that Glencarraig estate is in a terrible state of disrepair and downright squalor, and this has coincided with the rise of student accommodation in the area.

And again, anyone who thinks this is an overstatement by all means go and see for yourself. There are days when the place resembles a tip.

Youve hit the nail on the head there.and to add to that as i said in a previous post the lack of respect for people and property has to be addressed.

this has also to be doing alot of damage to the image of the collage,if you had a son or a daughter doing the leaving cert this summer how keen would you be to send them to Sligo IT when reading of these going on's in the national press.

The IT have to get tough with the troublemakers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

sligono1 wrote: »
    Youve hit the nail on the head there.and to add to that as i said in a previous post the lack of respect for people and property has to be addressed.

this has also to be doing alot of damage to the image of the collage,if you had a son or a daughter doing the leaving cert this summer how keen would you be to send them to Sligo IT when reading of these going on's in the national press.

The IT have to get tough with the troublemakers
    the library is free to use..

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭annacanna

jesus im getting worried reading this, im hoping to attend the IT in september, where would be a quite enough area but still very close to the IT? Glencarraig is out!!!

im a single parent to a young child so i need some where safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I wouldn't say Glencarraig isn't safe, but as you said it'd hardly be quiet.

To be honest I don't know are any of the areas around the I.T particularly quiet, just with all of the students congregated in small surroundings. Maybe Elm Park? Near the I.T, I have a friend who lives there with her family, it's quiet there. What would your budget be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Elm park is a good shout. Cartron is another option.

450-500 a month, 550 max!!
    ive a young child so im looking for a 2 bed, even a 1 bed would do.

id consider getting a 3 bed and looking for a quite student/housemate to move in.
    i know i just wouldnt feel safe living on my own and id love some company, but im thinkn it might be hard to get someone to live with me and a 3 year old (very quite child)

wouls there be any other option e.g. i could live away from the college if there ia a frequent bus service to the college and creche (beside the college)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bustler

Carton is nice and friendly. Its maybe about 15 mins walk from college. There are some new apts in Carton too called hollymount I think? There is a bus service from carton to the college but the times aren't great and its not very reliable... Is your child going to attend happy days? DS goes there and I'm really happy with them, they're fantastic.

Or Avondale. Used to live there and it's quiet, and very few students there.

• Advertisement

Bustler wrote: »
    Carton is nice and friendly. Its maybe about 15 mins walk from college. There are some new apts in Carton too called hollymount I think? There is a bus service from carton to the college but the times aren't great and its not very reliable... Is your child going to attend happy days? DS goes there and I'm really happy with them, they're fantastic.

yes happy days, im not to fimilar with sligo but ive being told its beside the college. i also heard that if your child attends happy days the college pays a few euro towards childcare, dont know if thats true or not. i think it was a student or lecturer that told me that.

so glad to hear its a good place, ive had a few problems with the creche shes in now

Happy days is nearest to college, about 10 minutes walk. You should get a grant towards your childcare if your child is attending any registered childcare provider, provided you fall within the income limits. So if you are living on welfare or minimum wage you should be eligible. DH and I are on minimum wage and I got half my childcare costs paid last year. Keep an eye out for an e-mail from Catherine Mc Nelis in September inviting applications for the childcare fund, then she'll interview you (she's very nice so don't worry!) to assess your income to see how much you need. Best of luck, its my last year here and I'm going to miss it!

Bustler wrote: »
    Happy days is nearest to college, about 10 minutes walk. You should get a grant towards your childcare if your child is attending any registered childcare provider, provided you fall within the income limits. So if you are living on welfare or minimum wage you should be eligible. DH and I are on minimum wage and I got half my childcare costs paid last year. Keep an eye out for an e-mail from Catherine Mc Nelis in September inviting applications for the childcare fund, then she'll interview you (she's very nice so don't worry!) to assess your income to see how much you need. Best of luck, its my last year here and I'm going to miss it!

that sound great, thanks for the info!
    well i get lone parents allowance and i'll be applying for the maintenance grant so hopefully i'll be under the limit.
    does she send the email to every student or do you have to let her know you have a child in childcare?
    if i lived in cartron would happy days be on my way to the college (walking). i dont know the layout of sligo al all
    sorry for all the questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sorry to be a buzzkill but we refused to put our young one into happy days. About three years ago we were shopping around for creche's and we didn't like the vibes from the place

The owner was swaggering around the place as if she was some sort of warden or headmaster. The baby room was swamped, and each of the girls in there was feeding one baby in their arms and another in a high chair at the same time. It was either understaffed or over populated. We really didn't like the vibe we got from there and so we sent her to another creche.

Not trying to put you off but Childcare is an important decision to make, and thats my honest opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

My daughter goes to ITSligo and leaves her daughter at Little Darlings Creche. She loves it there, very friendly and well run.

I've never seen that Buford. DS was 1 and a half when he started creche though so maybe that makes a difference. From what i know of the owner she's very friendly and not at all how you describe her. I attended a training course ran by her last year and found her fantastic. Her husband is very friendly too. When we first left DS in we were allowed to watch the cameras in the office to see how he was getting on. There are creches in Carton too but haven't heard anything good or bad about them if you want to check them out Anna. Happy days not really on the way but you can get the bus to clarion road and then walk up to it, bout 5 mins walk and then walk back to college.

Advertisement