Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebreak

Options
  • 15-03-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi,

It has come to our attention that the fire break between our house (charlesland) and next door has gaps in it. Has anyone fixed this before? What's the best way of going about it - and how much did it cost? Google is of no help whatsoever!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Not familiar with how these work, is it in the attic? I suspect ours could be the same as when the neighbours cook I can smell everything in our attic which suggests there are gaps in something.
    Is this a fundamental building requirement that was not met? Or just implemented badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

It means that if there is a fire next door it could spread very quickly to your house via the attic (and vice versa) - so it is potentially life threatening. Not sure how common that is though, but need to get mine fixed. A surveyor spotted it so presume it would devalue the house too.. not that that would make much difference nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

should be covered under builders bond no??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

should be covered under builders bond no??

No. Homebond cover is more related to structural issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Tricky question to answer - mirekb, you would have to give more info on when the property was built as the regulations in force at the time of planning/build may or may not require such provisions.

In new dwellings, yes, there should be a fire break between dwellings in a terrace, or between semi-d's.

You might find some mineral wool stuffed to the top of the party wall, but is it non-combustible?! This should continue to the eaves box area. Additionally between the underlay felt and the roof tile there should be more non-combustible mineral wool.

mirekb - I see you mentioned a surveyor picked this up - I take it either you or your neighbour is selling? If you are selling the prospective purchaser may look to reduce the offer price to take into account such 'remedial work cost'. These items of work should have been completed at time of build IF the regulations were in forced at the time of planning/build.

Mullie - the smell issue from the Kitchen to the attic certainly does not sound right. Could certainly be a vent in your neighbour's attic coming up from the Kitchen cooker hood is disconnected from a roof tile and any prevailing wind pushing the smells across the party wall.

On the note of separation, there is a real difference between smoke and fire separation. It's massively difficult to fully seal between two properties with the normal party wall build up - Non-combustible mineral wool is good for holding back fire but if there is air pressure from smoke from one side to the other, smoke will seep through the smallest of gaps. Any neighbouring house to a house fire will always have to be cleaned and re-decorated to get rid of the stench of smoke. The best party wall is a 'perfect party wall'!:)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
Advertisement