Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How early to arrive for St. Patrick's Day parade?

Options
  • 15-03-2012 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello, this is my first time in Ireland. I am thinking of taking the bus in to Dublin from Thomastown on Saturday and was wondering how early should I arrive in Dublin to get a good view of the parade? What time do the festivities end? I was planning on taking the bus back that afternoon so I could get back by late night, but if there's anything cool that goes on in late afternoon maybe I'll stay. Also, if anyone happens to be interested in ridesharing, that would also be cool if it would cut the costs for both of us!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 takingThePiss

I'm so confused. So many people say its ****, so many people say its amazing. Who the **** do I believe!!! :eek:

To be honest I am enjoying my life here in a small town, I hear this weekend the little kids will march around the square and there will be a band late night and people will be "gettin pissed" until late night. That sounds appealing, but someone just came up to me telling me how fantastic the Dublin parade was so I thought I'd check that out instead

EDIT: If you're telling me its sh't just because tourists are annoying and you want to keep away as many as possible.. i can respect that. But just know I'm not coming to be loud and obnoxious and annoying. I don't plan on drinking or anything like that. I'd really just like to keep to myself, see the parade, take some pictures, then get back to Thomastown by night so I can watch the band here. I saved all my money to come visit Ireland and this is really a once in a lifetime thing for me, so I'd just like to make the best of it so that's why I'm looking for some info is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

It's worth doing once, generally there is a pretty good vibe. Try a location around College green/Dame street area as you can see up to Christchurch. What's more interesting is seeing so many pissed people mid afternoon, Its like what you would normally see at 3am you see at 3pm :) Thats not necessarly a bad thing either, some funny and good kodac moments! Keep away from the tracksuit brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 takingThePiss

heh tracksuits that is something new to me but since coming to Ireland I go to any place like in Kilkenny I see these "young lads" leaning against street corners in track suits trying hard to look cool, its kind of funny to see. Is there some subculture associated with this? Although I do admit track suits look comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

heh tracksuits that is something new to me but since coming to Ireland I go to any place like in Kilkenny I see these "young lads" leaning against street corners in track suits trying hard to look cool, its kind of funny to see. Is there some subculture associated with this? Although I do admit track suits look comfortable

Lets just say a certain portion of them aren't the friendliest bunch of people. To use the term "person" to describe them would be an insult to the human race. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Well if this is your first time in Ireland go and see the Parade, it's much better live than on the telly anyway. And I dare say most people who comment to it as "****e" probably havn't been there.

I have worked as a Volunteer on the parade for many years and it's amazing how much effort the people put int the floats and costumes, the bands who come from all over the world and it's the highlight of the year for them.
    Yes there are to many people out there who can't handle their liquor but the city and the events are safe and fun.

You want to be in place around 10, and I reccommend you look for a place on upper O'Connell Street, maybe near the Gresham because it's near the starting point. The viewing points on the southside fill up very quickly and early too but you have to wait and stand so much longer for the parade to reach you.

As for the tourists beeing obnoxious and drunk I dare say it's mostly the local suspects that fall in that category and a lot of underage drinking too.
    It's probably not like the New York Parade but still a good day out. Check out the website for all other events in Dublin during the weekend. http://stpatricksfestival.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

My GF loves the Dublin parade and I get dragged there. If you want to get a good spot go early. I'd say at least 2 hours early but my GF insists on 3 hours. Depending on who you get stuck beside you can have good fun with the crowd, e.g. one year we were beside an old woman who had been to every parade for 40 or 50 years and had some fun stories.

And remember if you are not near the start it can take an hour or more for the parade to reach you. So be prepared for a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I agree with going to O'Connell St. It is nearer the start of the parade route, and there are lots of big statues that you can climb up on to get a better view. Would definitely try and be in place by 10am. The atmosphere is so good, you won't notice the 2 hr wait. Then take a stroll to the south side and soak up the vibe around Trinity College, College Green, Grafton St, St Stephens Green etc etc. There are loads of pubs on Dame St and and its a fun area for a while. It can get pretty messy as the day goes on though.

Check the Events tab on this page for more details on what is going on over the weekend.

http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MagicMarker give it over with the unhelpful, stupid comments. Any more of that and I'll ban you until after Paddy's day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Hello, this is my first time in Ireland. I am thinking of taking the bus in to Dublin from Thomastown on Saturday and was wondering how early should I arrive in Dublin to get a good view of the parade? What time do the festivities end? I was planning on taking the bus back that afternoon so I could get back by late night, but if there's anything cool that goes on in late afternoon maybe I'll stay. Also, if anyone happens to be interested in ridesharing, that would also be cool if it would cut the costs for both of us!

Did you go and what did you make of it?
    I went in just as the parade ended and hung round for the afternoon. It was one of the better atmospheres I've seen over the years.

Advertisement