Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in St. Patrick's Ireland (i.e. 5th century life)

Options
  • 15-03-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Ireland in the 5th century was the time of St. Patrick. Given the length of time ago that that is it can be a difficult task to sort reality from myth (banish the snakes). St. Patrick left 2 texts behind that give some idea of his life:
    Patrick himself, in his humanity, comes to the fore. We read about his relationship with God and are presented with a humble acknowledgement of God’s grace at work in his life, from his conversion as a slave to his missionary accomplishments as a bishop. He appears as a man schooled in adversity and suffering but resilient and persevering nonetheless, strengthened by his robust and instinctive trust in God. He appears as one who was and still is hurt by the accusations brought against him, and by the betrayal of confidence that has undermined him in the eyes of his superiors. The Letter to Coroticus, in particular, shows Patrick to have been a robust, pastorally concerned shepherd of his flock. The Confessio and the Epistola are probably the only writings of their kind that are extant from any part of the fifth-century Christian Church; together they give us a man who was a flesh-and-blood saint, but no less a saint for all that. http://www.confessio.ie/more/article_kelly#
    We are given some family details in the Confession: "My father was Calpurnius who was a deacon and a son of the priest Potitus. He ministered in a suburb of Bannaven Taberniae where he had a country residence nearby. It was there I was taken captive. I was about sixteen years of age and I did not know the true God". He elaborates only to mention his enslavement for six years in Ireland, his escape from the country and his eventual decision to return. Patrick tells us of a dream in which people living beside Silva Vocluti near the "western sea" besought him 'to come and walk once more' among them. He answered that call, returned to Ireland, and never seems to have left. His ambit, apparently, was the northern half of Ireland.

The fifth century Ireland to which Patrick returned had a sparse and widely scattered population of perhaps half a million with no towns or cities. It was an agglomeration of numerous independent small kingdoms and almost totally agrarian. Tribal chiefs, subject to an intricate legal system, ruled these petty kingdoms while groups of these confederations of local kingdoms allied themselves with one another to form provincial kingdoms. http://www.armagharchdiocese.org/archdiocese/history/st-patrick-and-the-saints/9
    How did Patrick spread his message, horseback? Did he get agreement of the rulers of the kingdoms?
    And what was ordinary life for people in Ireland like?
    I mean simple stuff like what did people eat, what did people wear and what did people do?

EDIT> translations of the 2 texts are availiable here http://www.confessio.ie/etexts/confessio_english# and http://www.confessio.ie/etexts/epistola_english#undefined

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Well apparently 5th century Ireland was a place where women fought and died in battle - at least according to the Annals of Tigernach and given that this continued after his death it would appear Patrick had no impact on this particular bit of equal opportunities...
    T489.2

The battle of Cellosnad in Mag Fea, wherein fell Aongus son of Nadfraech and his wife, and Ethne the Horrible, daughter of Cremthann son of Éanna Cennselach. The victors were Illann son of Dungal and his brother Ailill, and Eochaidh the Wounder, and Muircheartach, son Erc, king of Ailech. Hence it was said:

The branch of a great bushy tree died
    praisworthy Aongus, son of Nadfraech,
    He was left by Illann of the graces
    in the battle at sloping Cellosnad.
    Illann and Muircheartach,
    Ailill and strong, wilful Eochaidh
    the battle of Cellosnad
    with praiseworthy Aongus of Munster.

T491.2

Patrick archbishop and apostle of the Irish in the hundred and twentieth year of his life, on the 16th April rested.

T500.1

The battle of Segais gained by Muireadach son of Erca over Duach of the Brazen Tongue, king of Connacht, wherein Duach fell. Hence Cennfaelad sang::

The battle of Segais
    A woman of women caused it.
    Red blood was on spear
    By Duiseach, daughter of Duach.

The battle of Dela, the battle of Murcuma,
    And the battle of Tuaim Druba,
    With the battle of Segsa wherein fell
    Duach of the Brazen tongue.
    http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/T100002A/index.html

:D

Am quite intrigued by Ethne the Horrible ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Well apparently 5th century Ireland was a place where women fought and died in battle - at least according to the Annals of Tigernach and given that this continued after his death it would appear Patrick had no impact on this particular bit of equal opportunities...

http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/T100002A/index.html

:D

Am quite intrigued by Ethne the Horrible ....

I rather like Myles na gCopaleen’s treatment of St Patrick – writing on T. F. O’Rahilly and Erwin Schroedinger’s theories he states ‘A friend has drawn my attention to Professor O’Rahilly’s recent address on ‘Palladius and Patrick’. I understand also that Professor Schroedinger has been proving lately that you cannot establish a first cause. The first fruit of the Institute therefore, has been an effort to show that there are two Saint Patricks and no God. The propagation of heresy and unbelief has nothing to do with polite learning, and unless we are careful this Institute of ours will make us the laughing stock of the world.’
    Myles again develops the theme in The Dalkey Archive, when he hasSt. Augustine's remark: ‘Two Saint Patricks? We have four of the buggers in our place and they’d make you sick with their shamrocks and shenanigans and bullsh1t.‘

Ethne sounds like an interesting person; force fed, the poor thing, and had a hang-up about it in later life:
    170. Ethne Uathach 'horrible', why so called? ...... When the Déissi took the girl to rear her they used to give her the flesh of children (to eat) so that she might the more rapidly grow up (and be married). For it had been determined that they would get land and a settlement as her bride-price. Or, again, she used to cut off the ends of the little-fingers of her own children so that they might be the longer-lived........ For that cause the children felt a great horror for her. Wherefore she is called Ethne the Horrible.

From : http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/fitness_of_names.html

Advertisement