Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References when renting for first time?

Options
  • 15-03-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm really sorry as this has probably been asked plenty of times on here but the search function hasn't brought up anything definitive enough!

I'm going to be renting for the first time very soon with a friend. We are hoping to start making appointments over the next couple of weeks to view places. I'm a bit worried about getting asked for a reference, as obviously I have only lived at home up to now. Will a character reference from work do, or would not having a reference from a previous landlord really go against me? My friend has rented once before so she can get a reference off that landlord. We are both mid-20s professional girls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Work reference should be fine. Certainly wasnt an issue for me when I first rented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I'm in the same boat as the OP except I'm renting alone and I'm self employed. So what should I do for a reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Bank reference and evidence of income over the past couple of years should do it.

Advertisement