Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Institute Easter Revision Courses Worth It?

• 15-03-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking at doing the Easter revision courses for English and Physics. Has anyone been before? Is it worth it? What makes them so good?

Thanks,
    Adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Mods are going to go crazy when they see another post about the institute :D

I have the notes for both English and Physics and to be honest they're not worth it. The revise wise book for physics is much better than the physics notes you'll get. The diagrams are messy and hand drawn.

As for English, the notes are good if you're looking to learn stuff off. You won't do very well if everyone else has the same essay written down.

Conclusion : English maybe. Physics stay away from it! Not worth all that money

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Mods are going to go crazy when they see another post about the institute :D

I have the notes for both English and Physics and to be honest they're not worth it. The revise wise book for physics is much better than the physics notes you'll get. The diagrams are messy and hand drawn.

As for English, the notes are good if you're looking to learn stuff off. You won't do very well if everyone else has the same essay written down.

Conclusion : English maybe. Physics stay away from it! Not worth all that money

Probably should of done a search for a similar thread before hand lol

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Well, I went to physics there, and this is what i thought of it.. It was ****ing brilliant. The teacher is absolutely excellent and very funny too :P Also, the whole point his diagrams are hand drawn is so the student draws it like that in the actual exam as in fairness it wouldn't be smart to draw a very detailed diagram with the time constraints! I'd definitely advise physics anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Wesc. wrote: »
    Well, I went to physics there, and this is what i thought of it.. It was ****ing brilliant. The teacher is absolutely excellent and very funny too :P Also, the whole point his diagrams are hand drawn is so the student draws it like that in the actual exam as in fairness it wouldn't be smart to draw a very detailed diagram with the time constraints! I'd definitely advise physics anyway :)

Thanks, I am leaning towards going at the moment but I am going to talk to my teachers tomorrow and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Could anyone tell me what the Irish course is like? I've already booked mine, but would like to know in advance what I've signed myself up for :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Could anyone tell me what the Irish course is like? I've already booked mine, but would like to know in advance what I've signed myself up for :P

Yeah it's pretty good but god you'll be glad when that hour and a half is over :P One thing I'll say about it is that, according to my mock examiner, their essays are riddled with mistakes. So I'd think twice about learning them off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Wesc. wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty good but god you'll be glad when that hour and a half is over :P One thing I'll say about it is that, according to my mock examiner, their essays are riddled with mistakes. So I'd think twice about learning them off!
    Haha I'll be sure to take that into account! Thankfully I'm only doing the one subject so the hour and a half wont be too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I did 4 subjects there at christmas the english was okay but not as worth it as I thought, you get sample essays. Some of the notes are okay. Other subjects would be worth it more. I didn't do physics so I'm not sure about that. If you do business or economics I found these were the most useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Personally I think at this stage of the year, there will be too many notes for you to handle. I got the best part of 400 pages for physics at christmas and the main notes I use now are the marking schemes and the notes I've been making myself since 5th year. The institute notes aren't notes, they're a whole new textbook.
    I think if you have money to burn fire ahead, but if its a big expense they're not really worth it to be honest.

Advertisement