Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant speed drops with Eircom

• 15-03-2012 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Well not so long ago I decided to switch ISP's as Vodafone was being a joke. Long story short every 4 hours my speed drops from 17mb to 3.4mb. I have to reset the router every time this happens and it gets very annoying having to re-open ports every 4 hours. This seems to happen during the day and night, so I don't think it's a peak user issue. I'm also getting a very high latency when this happens (jumps from 55ms to 5000ms for servers in Paris & London). I have run multiple boot time scans and regular anti-malware scans. I've gotten in contact with a HJT team to see if their was any bits of malware stuck in my PC but I got the all clear so that aint the problem. I'm using my main connection point, I've tried a new Ethernet cable, router, a different Desktop, a laptop & PS3 but still the same issues. I keep everything up to date on my PC and I wasn't running any downloads while I was running speed tests. I've done trace routes and I have 0% packet loss for google.ie & eircom.net
    I've disabled the router's firewall and the firewall on my PC to see if it would help, but still nothing.

Package: 25mb Fiber optics
    Line speed (max) : 17mb
    Connected via: Ethernet (1 meter distance from the main connection point.)
    Anything else connected to the main connection point?: No

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

DirtyDev wrote: »
    Well not so long ago I decided to switch ISP's as Vodafone was being a joke. Long story short every 4 hours my speed drops from 17mb to 3.4mb. I have to reset the router every time this happens and it gets very annoying having to re-open ports every 4 hours. This seems to happen during the day and night, so I don't think it's a peak user issue. I'm also getting a very high latency when this happens (jumps from 55ms to 5000ms for servers in Paris & London). I have run multiple boot time scans and regular anti-malware scans. I've gotten in contact with a HJT team to see if their was any bits of malware stuck in my PC but I got the all clear so that aint the problem. I'm using my main connection point, I've tried a new Ethernet cable, router, a different Desktop, a laptop & PS3 but still the same issues. I keep everything up to date on my PC and I wasn't running any downloads while I was running speed tests. I've done trace routes and I have 0% packet loss for google.ie & eircom.net
    I've disabled the router's firewall and the firewall on my PC to see if it would help, but still nothing.

Package: 25mb Fiber optics
    Line speed (max) : 17mb
    Connected via: Ethernet (1 meter distance from the main connection point.)
    Anything else connected to the main connection point?: No

If it's eircom in cork you have 24mb NGB not fibre optic.

Could you flip the modem upside down and tell me if the model number on the modem says T1 at the start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 DirtyDev

Model number is: P-660HN-T1A

Model number is: P-660HN-T1A

So the speed is at 17Mb and drops out gradually until you power cycle it? If that's the issue then you need a firmware upgrade. eircom are aware of this particular issue and have a patch for it.

I've been looking at their website & forum, the only firmware I can find is for Netopia routers, while I have a Zyxel :3

Edit: I found a firmware update for the Zyxel P-660HN-T1A router from Zyxel's website, but for some reason the router wouldn't accept the .bin file
    http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/p_660hn_t1a.shtml

I've been looking at their website & forum, the only firmware I can find is for Netopia routers, while I have a Zyxel :3

It's not up on the site. You need to call tech support. I got the file a few days ago. I uploaded it to media fire.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xxwews75hd74fap

Download the above file somewhere you will remember on your pc and follow these instructions:

You go to 192.168.1.254 in your web browser (Internet explorer, Firefox etc.) the pass is broadband 1

Click on "Maintenance" on the left hand side of the page that comes up

Click on the "Update/Reboot" sub option.

On the main page now there is an option that says "File Path" click on browse beside that. Select the file I sent you and click "upload."

The modem will restart and the modem will be patched.

This whole procedure can take about 10 minutes to complete so during this time do not turn the modem off.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for the firmware poisonedstream :) I'll post again if the problem continues

Thank you very much for the firmware poisonedstream :) I'll post again if the problem continues

No problem. Post here if it works too. May help others :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

No problem. Post here if it works too. May help others :)

I've had the same problem today (new customer to eircom) and have downloaded your file and seems to be working at full speed once again.

Will report back in a few days time to see if any issues with the fix.

Many thanks for posting your link.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rinleezwins

HALLELUIAH! Finally got the solution, thanks for uploading the firmware file. I was diagnostic this thing for days now, whenever I started downloading/streaming anything, the ping to router would go up from 1ms to a couple of hundreds ms(using wireless) which completely multiplied all the ms and blocked the entire network untill i paused the stream/download.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Hunt

I got a replacement router from Eircom two months ago and had the same problem. Thanks for the above info.

Firmware updates for Eircom routers can be downloaded from http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/

• Advertisement
Advertisement