Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mcp course time to short? tutor advice sought

Options
  • 15-03-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out ,I am at present doing a mcp course,5 days a week full time for 6 months, this is being run in conjunction with FAS and two other colleges,this consists of ECDL – Word, Excel, Databases, Powerpoint, Communications FETAC Level 5,Windows XP Installation and Administration, Computer Operating System & Networking Supporting Users & Troubleshooting Windows Operating Systems ,Comp TIA Network + 2009.

The first part of the course which was the ECDL and communications took just over 3 months to complete,no problem there.I should mention at this point there is a 4 week work experience module at the end of this course, as the ecdl part of the course ran over by a week we did not start the second part(Windows XP Installation e.t.c.) until 6 of feb.leaving us 7 weeks,of that 7 weeks because of bank holidays and mock interviews (2 days) we are now down to 6 weeks.

My question is, is it usual, considering the volume of work that is left to be completed (Windows XP Installation e.t.c.) and the wide range of technical abilities (some students would have very little pc awareness given the wide age group involved)that the group would absorb all the information being given to them, in such a short space of time?

the exams are 70-270 ,70-271, N10-004
    Thanks Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Hi Dan, not a chance if it took participants that length of time to do ECDL. Some people may even get all the certs, but there is no way they would have the practical knowledge.

I would advise you to self-study as much as you can out of class hours as it seems the rest of the group might be bringing you down.

I would imagine it more likely that you will cover the Network+ in class, with the option available to some students to pursue the other two exams should they wish.

Why FAS are STILL continuing with the XP exam is beyond me. It is also in my opinion one of the tougher MS exams, and I would not not advise it to be the first MS exam you do.

The work experience is a really important aspect of the course, so make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BIGD

First of all my applogies for not replying sooner to your post and advice.Just a few things to make my orignal post a bit clearer. To say travesty would be putting it lightly.We spent 3 months doing the ecdl and a communications level 5 cert, because we ran over by a week then all our exams had to be changed to the point we are now doing them during our W/E, not only that but the work experience has now been cut short.In fact alot of the guys(myself included) had procured work W/E only to be told neither fas or the other colleges we're going to insure us and that it was down to the employer.
    We were given no accces to a mac pc altough this was required to pass the FETAC Minor Level 6 Computer Operating Systems & Networks certification.
    in a class of 18 we only had 9 mcsa 20-270 training books the rest were photocopies of the book ,I could go but what's the point.
    There is a small glimmer though the 70 -271 test has now been abandoned by Microsoft and we are reliably informed that this will not affect our mcp cert.

While I take your advice on board about the home study,I feel my only choice now at this late stage is to rope learn the answers using somthing like Visual CertExam manager.
    Surley this is not the way to get certs that will eventually put us in jobs where we are in fact administrators of a company's network. End of rant.

In any case druidhill thanks again for your response and advice.I'll keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

BIGD wrote: »
    In fact alot of the guys(myself included) had procured work W/E only to be told neither fas or the other colleges we're going to insure us and that it was down to the employer.

This could be a problem for you.

FYI, when you pass one applicable MS exam, you get your MCP title.

Also, if you do get the exams in the manner you mentioned, you could likely get caught out badly at interview (but you could also get away with it). It really is down to the individual if they want the cert to be just a piece of paper or something they genuinely worked for (and earned).

Advertisement