Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITB assesment exam

Options
  • 15-03-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

hi all.
    i have been called for an entrance assessment exam for it blanchardstown in april. just wondering if anyone sat this last year ?? any pointers would be welcome.
    its only an hour long and seems to be a test on comprehension, grammar, maths and a short essay on a mystery subject !!!
    grammar !!***??? by the beard of dickens himself, i thought grammar was something that went out with the invention of the mobile phone.

anyway if anyone knows what this assessment is like i would love to hear from you, in particular the maths part, as there is no past papers available to check out, i think the college wants to keep this under wraps.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Art monster

Hi, Just searching and i came to this thread and I actually got an email From ITB to go for an assessment exam in two weeks.
    Im hoping if anyone is about this thread and could give me a bit of feed back if they completed an assessment exam as a mature student before? as in was it hard? what was on it? etc.. I'm very nervous about it, as it stated in the email that the exam will make up parts of maths and grammar my very down falls! and some comprehension part. I cant study for it apparently but i can recap my spelling and maths though :P
    So any info on this topic would be helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

I am going to be taking it too. If it makes you feel any better. I know someone that took it last year. He felt as if he did very poorly on it. But he was still offered a place.
    He has told me about the exam but it really isn't of any use. Just that it includes maths and grammer...

@Iopu Thanks well im worrying but trying not to because my maths is poor and my grammar isn't the best but i hope that doesn't muck up my chances of getting a place. That guy was lucky to get a place anyway, I heard its hard to get one cause there are so many applying. I also applyed to DIT and i was wondering why they dont do an assessment exam like ITB for mature applicants? but im glad they dont! i honestly dont need a panic attack :/
    Well I hope the best for the two of us anyway :)

I hope the best for you too. I've also applied to dit. As far as I know its just itb and ucd that do assessment exams. Most of the other colleges assess you based on your application and an interview. I'm glad that itb does the exam! My application is kind of weak so I am hoping to get a place by performing on the day!

Iopu wrote: »
    I hope the best for you too. I've also applied to dit. As far as I know its just itb and ucd that do assessment exams. Most of the other colleges assess you based on your application and an interview. I'm glad that itb does the exam! My application is kind of weak so I am hoping to get a place by performing on the day!

thank you Iopu :) oh ok do you know if dit will be doing interviews? Well im nervous as im not too good with exams but i have a few qualifications already so if i dont do great on the exam hopefully they will balance out for my app :/
    what did you apply to do in dit?

• Advertisement

thank you Iopu :) oh ok do you know if dit will be doing interviews? Well im nervous as im not too good with exams but i have a few qualifications already so if i dont do great on the exam hopefully they will balance out for my app :/
    what did you apply to do in dit?
    Yes dit do do interviews. I am applying to computer science and computing.

Yes dit do do interviews. I am applying to computer science and computing.

oh right ok, and have you been notified to go for one soon? cause i got an email from them nearly about two weeks ago saying something about going through the process of applicants in the next coming month. I wasn't sure what it meant but now i think i have an idea. Oh cool they sound interesting anyway.

oh right ok, and have you been notified to go for one soon? cause i got an email from them nearly about two weeks ago saying something about going through the process of applicants in the next coming month. I wasn't sure what it meant but now i think i have an idea. Oh cool they sound interesting anyway.
    No I haven't. I actually applied to them last year and never got an interview. I did get that email this year though.

No I haven't. I actually applied to them last year and never got an interview. I did get that email this year though.

oh right ok. Well I dont mind either way going for an interview I think its less nerving then doing an exam personally, but everyone is different.

Hi , I had my entry exam assessment today at ITB. Well it was an ok paper. The first page was to fill in your details, cao number etc. the second page which i had an idea turned out to be ''free writing'' basically an essay question asking you to write about your past education, why you want to go on to 3rd level education and have you prepared much for your return to 3rd level. it was 250 words. I also noticed that each section on the exam had marks too :/

I honestly dont know how well i did on that part but sure whatever.
    The next part was reading comprehension which was paragraphs you had to read then answer questions about it. The questions part was it asked for options from some of the paragraphs and you had circle the right one which was either A,B,C,or D. I dont know how well i did on that section as i couldn't really under stand some of it and as i was pushed for time and trying to get through each section as fast as i could.

The section part which i like was like a story with blank spaces in it and you had to pick what you thought was the appropriate word that fitted in from a selection of words in a box at the bottom of the page. I think i did ok on that part but however i didnt know what two of the words ments. ha im a disaster!

Then there was like 5 or 6 math questions after that which i didnt do well at all because they were fractions and percentage which i never practiced and have never been good at. Then There was a rough work page and another extra lined page for your ''free writing'' section. I found the hour flew and I finished with 10 minutes remaining so i then added a few extra lines for my ''free writing'' section. Then I took a breathe and that was it.

Now saying that the assessment exam might be changed next year again or it might be the same. But hope this will help anyone who will be doing one like this in the future :) Any other questions reply here or PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I was there today aswell.
    Short story about yourself was okey.
    Comprehension test wich Q's was a bit of a minefield for me I think.
    Filling in the gaps was okey.
    Maths was good I think.

I came out scratching me head wondering whether I did a fairly good job or if I did crap

She said that we don't get the results to the 5th July For Fcuk Sake.
    Also do we have to do an interview later as I didn't see any mention of it on the green handout afterwards.

I was there today aswell.
    Short story about yourself was okey.
    Comprehension test wich Q's was a bit of a minefield for me I think.
    Filling in the gaps was okey.
    Maths was good I think.

I came out scratching me head wondering whether I did a fairly good job or if I did crap

She said that we don't get the results to the 5th July For Fcuk Sake.
    Also do we have to do an interview later as I didn't see any mention of it on the green handout afterwards.
    I don't think there will be an interview. Someone asked one of the supervisors there and he said he doesn't think so.

Advertisement