Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspicious program?

• 15-03-2012 4:06pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My PC has been acting up lately, particularly in regard to freezing and HDD thrashing. I didn't read a huge amount into it as both the PC and its XP install are getting long in the tooth at this point, and the HDD is virtually full to boot. However, downloading Minecraft addons means negotiating the horrors of Adfly, the Internet's favourite SUPER-AIDS delivery service, and sure enough my last few trips there yesterday were being red-flagged by a screaming Avast :o Although that means the uglies aren't getting into my system mercifully!

Then when I'm restarting the PC today I get a program or service that's messing about and refusing to stop cleanly at shut down. Not exactly an uncommon issue for me... except... not only is it not one of the usual suspects, its screen name appears to be "Laugh :D"

That can't be legit :/

Needless to say there's no way such a name can be Googled and return any meaningful result, so I'm wondering if something slipped past Avast... which thinks nothing is wrong. So peoples... how do I check properly for something it has missed? :o

Comments

Advertisement