Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed, problem with neighbours dogs

• 15-03-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Were her dogs on leads? If so you were completely at fault here, it was your dog that initiated the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If the dogs had muzzles on and were on the lead you have no case as it was your dog that was out of control and not contained in your garden.

It is your responsibility to ensure your dogs are properly contained and not able to escape.

Please dont compare these incidents to things like a childs ear or it could have been a child etc, because most dogs are only dog aggressive and not human aggressive so you cannot presume it could be a child next, those kind of statements really annoy me tbh.

Im not sure what more you want from these dogs, they were on a lead, muzzled, it was your dog that was out of control and in the wrong so you really dont have a leg to stand on when your dog was at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

swim2 wrote: »
    I have a problem with a neighbours dog and am looking for ideas on the best solution....
    Myself & my partner have 2 golden retrievers, male and female. most of our neighbours have dogs too. We live in the countryside.
    About half a mile up the road a lady has 2 german shepherds & one smaller dog. We havent had issues before now, until an incident a few days ago.
    We have our garden fenced it, except for one small hole in the fence. Anyhow this lady was walking both her dogs the other morning & our male dog got out in the small hole. One of the german shepherds latched on to my dogs ear & had to be pulled away by me. He has a small nick but is fine. I think it was more me got a fright than him. The dogs probably felt my fella was threatening her.
    It will teach my dog not to go out & the fence has since been doubled up with more fencing. that I know was our fault.
    Our neighbour called down last night while I was working and spoke to my partner, asking was our dog ok and had we fixed the hole in the fence.
    He asked about muzzles for the 2 dogs, from what I could see the other day they are pieces of cloth, they can still breathe but not open their mouths fully.
    These 2 dogs have already destroyed another neighbours terrier a few months ago & I know its causing tensions in the area. My worry would be 1st for my own dogs, but what if it had been a child's ear...
    I dont want to cause more hassle but is there anything I can do. I dont for one second want her to have the dogs put down, as mentioned above it was partly our fault, but should they have proper muzzles??

You said partly - it was completely your side at fault. You should be glad she didn't report you.. why are you on about dogs being put down?
    If a dog squeezes thru a fence and charges at someone's dogs on lead it might get bitten...not a big surprise.

I would like to delete this thread. Can someone send me in the right direction to do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why have you deleted your posts?? You obviously know you are in the wrong and i honestly dont know how you can be blaming the other dogs.

If i had my rotties on a lead and muzzled and dog ran up to mine that wasnt under control then it wouldnt be my dogs fault if something happened the other dog.

You need to take responsibilty and stop blaming someone else for your own mistake.

Get the fence fixed and make sure your dog cant get out. Next time it could be knocked down and killed by a car.

andreac wrote: »
    Why have you deleted your posts?? You obviously know you are in the wrong and i honestly dont know how you can be blaming the other dogs.

If i had my rotties on a lead and muzzled and dog ran up to mine that wasnt under control then it wouldnt be my dogs fault if something happened the other dog.

You need to take responsibilty and stop blaming someone else for your own mistake.

Get the fence fixed and make sure your dog cant get out. Next time it could be knocked down and killed by a car.

Ok point taken from all replies thank you.

andreac wrote: »

Ok point taken, thank you for replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm curious as to how a dog bites if it has a muzzle on? :confused:

I have to disagree here to some extent, if a dog is known to be dog aggressive it should be wearing a full basket muzzle if it's out in public. Accidents happen and there has been a previous incident so the owner should have taken all necessary precautions that it wouldn't happen again. I'm wondering if it was a muzzle at all or just a head-collar.

OP I would discuss this again with your neighbour and acknowledge that it was your fault your dog got out and that this has been sorted now, but ask her if she is doing anything to work on her problems and if she wouldn't mind putting a basket muzzle on her dog you would feel more at ease in regards to the chance of it happening again.

Advertisement