Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible my dog jumped the fence or.....

• 15-03-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

I got a call today from my mum saying that when my uncle was doing stuff in the garden that my dog escaped, supposedly jumped the fence - say 8ft high all around, dog also has a run but he was let run around the garden when my uncle was there.

Neways he said that when he went to check on him that he must of jumped over the fence, but I cant see it happening! Hes a samoyed dog, 2 yrs 8mnts old:) never jumped the fence before, like even if he jumped on top of his kennell and somehow clung onto the fence he would of had to walk along the fence like a cat, go down an alley and jump that door aswell!!! what do ye think did he jump or did uncle let him loose by accident? or any other samoyed owners have experience with them jumping fences??:o

I dont mind if it was an accident Id just prefer if he told me the truth! Luckily he and a neighbour found my dog up in the green not far from the house having a nap!! :P but hes all on his own now so I hope when I go home he hasnt jumped it again!!! aghh!!! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can a dog jump an 8ft fence? Absolutely (effortlessly too in some cases).

But if he's never done it before, then it's most likely that your uncle let him out by accident. People who don't have dogs (or kids!) will forget about keeping things closed no matter how hard they try to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Yeah thats what I thought & he's also a lazy dog(loves his sleep)lol!!! I totally understand if it was a mistake, he has a dog and kids though, maybe he just wasnt paying attention:o Im just glad he wasnt hurt or run over!! I would be devestated:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

Some dogs might surprise you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ2dAJcUu64 !

Although I agree, your uncle probably let him out. Poor form if he didn't admit to it.

Some dogs might surprise you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ2dAJcUu64 !

Although I agree, your uncle probably let him out. Poor form if he didn't admit to it.

Wow thats one clever rottie!!!:eek: yeah honesty is the best policy but Oh well maybe he thought I'd be mad:o

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

I've 2 Sammies. There's no way my fellas would get over an 8ft fence. One of them might have a crack at 5/6 feet if he had a run at it and could claw his way over, but I'd say it would have to be a life and death situation, even at that I think 6ft would be beyond him. For a Sammie he's fairly light, very agile and catches the frizzbee in mid air, so he's a very fit fella. 8ft fence, he'd try digging under it if he was really desperate. :D

I'd be guessing he got through the door/gate as well. They're real opportunists. If the door of the car is open, I'd often find the 2 of them happy out, one in the drivers side and the other on the passenger, smiling out at me as if they're offering to give me a lift. They'll (talk) roll off a variety of moany howly chat when I ask them to get out. Great crack. They only need a split second for any type of opportunity.

• Advertisement

Thanks mick they sounds like my fella alright they are super fast, I think mine was a greyhound in his past life!! Lol!!! But again a fence
    just seems like a huge challenge for him! But of course I did have a tiny doubt yesterday about it just wanted to know for sure if a Sam cud hop over the wall!!

Aw your boys are diggers too lol!!! Mine was crazy for digging when he was a pup!!! You sams sounds lovely btw, & I know all too well how mischevious they can be so yeah he prob did get out from the back door, through the house nd front door was prob open too:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Ya, lots of speed but they don't really have a jump to match it. They'd run rings around most dogs, but jumping over anything around 3.5 ft upwards is not their thing what ever it is. Even at the beach, they won't jump a wall of about 3ft to join all the fun with other dogs, they'll walk around it or else you'd have to lift them/really encourage them to go over the wall.

The digging kind of stopped from about 9/10 months. My lads have almost an acre to run on and they might get out of the house for a walk or a trip into town or the beach maybe 10-12 times a week. The digging would only happen now if they hadn't been out for 2 days which rarely happens and only the younger guy (10 months) digs now and it'd be rare enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 catherine1984

I never though my dog wold jump the fence and but she did. It was 5foot high. We than put in a leaning fence and she somehow managed to get over that. We highered the fence to about 7 foot and she got over that. She is only a medium sized dog. I now have to keep her inside as she is getting over everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

is neways the short for anyways?

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    Ya, lots of speed but they don't really have a jump to match it. They'd run rings around most dogs, but jumping over anything around 3.5 ft upwards is not their thing what ever it is. Even at the beach, they won't jump a wall of about 3ft to join all the fun with other dogs, they'll walk around it or else you'd have to lift them/really encourage them to go over the wall.

The digging kind of stopped from about 9/10 months. My lads have almost an acre to run on and they might get out of the house for a walk or a trip into town or the beach maybe 10-12 times a week. The digging would only happen now if they hadn't been out for 2 days which rarely happens and only the younger guy (10 months) digs now and it'd be rare enough.

Ah they just seem the lazy type when jumping over things, yours sounds like my dog then! I brought him on a walk the other night and there was a 3 ft wall I got him to try hope over.. it was laughable that he could barely clear it, nearly had to lift the back legs for him the lazy sod!!! :p

ah you were lucky with the 9/10 months stopping digging!! say they love all that space to run around lucky pups!! mine didnt stop diggin till after a year or so, I swear he could dig to china:rolleyes:

PS: dog has not escaped since the last incident so I presume my uncle didnt watch him leg it out the front door!! lol!!!

• Advertisement

I never though my dog wold jump the fence and but she did. It was 5foot high. We than put in a leaning fence and she somehow managed to get over that. We highered the fence to about 7 foot and she got over that. She is only a medium sized dog. I now have to keep her inside as she is getting over everything.

Sounds like you have a lil houdini on your hands!! :p

is neways the short for anyways?

yeah force of habit woops:rolleyes:

Advertisement