Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uploading to Youtube

• 15-03-2012 5:13pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question guys regarding uploading to youtube and copyright infringement.
    I uploaded some video's a while back with some music on them and now I'm getting "video blocked in some countries".So I'm wondering am I in some sort of trouble i.e closing my account
    Will I just go and delete these videos?

you1.jpg
    you2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Content matching is usually ok, but keep an eye on it and try not to do it too much. It means that the holder could come in and ask for it to be taken down. Copyright strikes however can cause headaches - three strikes and you're out. Not great having content blocked in certain regions too.

Best to go with free songs or avoid certain companies. Some videos will get a sidebar (with song details) and monetisation for the copyright holder.

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I avoid using copyrighted music in nearly all cases. I appreciate that's easier for me than most as I have a couple of albums of my own music to pluck from.

There's plenty of websites offering royalty free music, or you could even ask some poor unisigned musician like myself to provide some. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Ah,so I'm ok for the minute with copyright matching its if I get a strike I need to watch out.
    Also do I need to acknowledge the copyright content?

I don't think it really matters- you're still "stealing" it even if you acknowledge it.

The best solution, as I said, is to find a way to use music legally.

This is the way youtube is these days.

I don't think it really matters- you're still "stealing" it even if you acknowledge it.

The best solution, as I said, is to find a way to use music legally.

This is the way youtube is these days.

"Ya didn't have to tell it how it is marge"

I think I'll look into the royalty free websites option from now on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Just be warned that if you get account monetization or a partnership in the future, you'll have to ensure that the royalty-free music you get is good for use for commercial purposes.

Very informative post Ropedrink thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Some great info in here already lads thanks a million. Im in the process of starting my own channel and I just have a couple of questions that follow on from Perrin if he doesn't mind me hijacking his thread.

1. As much as I'll try and not be the same as a lot of other commentators (quickscope 360 montage ftw lol) I will probably be adding a variety of games from COD, BF3, MK9, Fight Night Champion, Need for speed etc etc. DO I need to contact each of these gaming companies directly and ask for their permission? If so what department withing the company would be best to contact?

2. Doctor Doom mentioned above about music that is freely available - would anyone have any recommendations on a good website to get this? I had, what I thought was a cool intro, but it used an image off the net and 7 seconds of a Beetles song so I need to make a new one. I dont want to get shut down before I start

Thanks for all the help - I'll probably have more questions but these are the problems Im encountering now :)

Some great info in here already lads thanks a million. Im in the process of starting my own channel and I just have a couple of questions that follow on from Perrin if he doesn't mind me hijacking his thread.

1. As much as I'll try and not be the same as a lot of other commentators (quickscope 360 montage ftw lol) I will probably be adding a variety of games from COD, BF3, MK9, Fight Night Champion, Need for speed etc etc. DO I need to contact each of these gaming companies directly and ask for their permission? If so what department withing the company would be best to contact?

2. Doctor Doom mentioned above about music that is freely available - would anyone have any recommendations on a good website to get this? I had, what I thought was a cool intro, but it used an image off the net and 7 seconds of a Beetles song so I need to make a new one. I dont want to get shut down before I start

Thanks for all the help - I'll probably have more questions but these are the problems Im encountering now :)

I'll link to a few royalty free websites later for you. There's no point in going to the game companies unless you get to the point you wish to monetise your channel, then you can either partner with a company that has the permissions, like machinima, or you can seek the rights on your own by contacting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I'll link to a few royalty free websites later for you. There's no point in going to the game companies unless you get to the point you wish to monetise your channel, then you can either partner with a company that has the permissions, like machinima, or you can seek the rights on your own by contacting them.

cheers man I'd appreciate that. No interest in monetising the channel I just want to have some fun uploading videos :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement