Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult L.C Cork College of Commerce.

Options
  • 15-03-2012 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Has anyone done the Adult Leaving Certificate in the Cork College Of Commerce? If so, what are your experiences? Is it difficult to do in one year, and how would one best prepare for such an undertaking? I've been out of education for a while and hoping to commence in September. Any advice, would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Laalaaa

I did the L.C there in 2009 and to be honest I would struggle to find anything bad to say about the experience. The ages of my classmates ranged from 19 to 56 so I didn't have to worry about being too old or too young to make friends and a lot of people seemed to be in a similar situation as myself having been in the workplace already and decided to return to education.

I had been out of school for 7 years at that stage and was pretty nervous about going back but the teaching environment is such that it's kind of aimed at people in that situation and so I found it easy enough to settle in.

As regards to whether it is difficult to do in one year, it really boils down to how much work you put in and whether you want to go on to college afterwards. You have the option of doing honours level in most subjects in one year except for maths, but if you're struggling you can change to ordinary level. The teachers are very understanding of people's situations and are a great help if you're finding anything particularly difficult.

As for preparation, if you know what subjects you want to study you could always find out what books you will need and maybe have a read over them during the summer, that way the material will be familiar to you and it will sink in a lot easier when it comes time to study in class!

It might take a while to get used to being in a classroom again but that soon passes and you will get into the swing of things in no time! I did it in one year with the view to go on to further education and am now in second year of a science degree in university, as are many others from my class, so it's very achievable!

Best of luck op and if you have any questions just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭leheaven

ThunderJaw wrote: »
    Has anyone done the Adult Leaving Certificate in the Cork College Of Commerce? If so, what are your experiences? Is it difficult to do in one year, and how would one best prepare for such an undertaking? I've been out of education for a while and hoping to commence in September. Any advice, would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!!

Hey
    Just came across your post! I'm also in the same boat! I got accepted into the adult L.C for Sept, just wondering are you going doing it aswell? I've asked around too and so far everyone I've talked to about it said it was good and worthwhile,that they achieved what they wanted!

Advertisement