Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed roof question

• 15-03-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

I'm building a concrete shed/gym/man cave.
    I have the rafters in place and I'm going to slate the roof. I'm not sure about insulation. I dont want condensation forming and dripping on my stuff. Obviously I could insulate the roof but could I use some membrane that would stop condensation?
    I'm not concerned about the cold so I dont need insulation for that reason.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Are you going to put up roofing felt before fixing the batons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

As per the other posters query, are you putting up a felt/membrane?
    You can pick up a roll of cheap membrane at a builder providers, felt might be heavier, I'd think and might be more difficult to put up.
    Whats the dimensions and what type of roof is it? you say slate, do you mean tile?
    I put a membrane across the beams under the battens on mine.
    Mine is was a simple apex, I recommend (I only figured it out after I did the first side) tack the membrane on one side, roll it across to the other, leaving whatever slack you need between beams (mine suggested in the instruction leaflet with it, not to go drum tight), then level it and tack the other end.
    If you try level it at each beam it will leave wrinkles and creases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Some sort of membrane yeah,I was told a breathable membrane. Apex roof.

I think I'm going to slate but I could still change to tile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

arse.biscuits - Yeah,breathable membane or old style roofing felt [cheaper but not breathable] tacked up wth felt nails,then battons on top.
    Are you sure that you won't be using any heating [other than yourself] in your man cave, like a plug in rad or a blower heater?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

go with the breathable membrane and then battern & cross batten above for slate/tile. then if you ever fancy installing insulation you don't need to worry about gaps under the felt to ventilate any condensation.

regarding insulation - mineral wool insulation between rafters and an OSB board silicone sealed to the underside will take care of your vapour barrier and ceiling finish in one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement