Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an undocked boxer

• 15-03-2012 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hello A&P forum folk,

I'm planning on getting a boxer within the next few months, depending on the availability of litters through the societies registered with the IKC. However, as the legislation here allows, almost litter I've come across has come docked. It's something I'd like to avoid, if possible, and was wondering if anyone had experience in going about it.

Is not docking a pup a request breeders will entertain? Are there breeders who regularly breed litters undocked?

Any advice on the matter would be appreciated. I'm set on getting one regardless but I'd be happier if it wasn't put through that personally.

Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nice that you're looking for a Boxer wit a tail, our's has one and it's ace :D

We were lucky and found a private dealer (No puppy fam, just a boxer lover) who had a litter of all undocked pups.

We'll hopefully be breeding Brodi later this year/early next year (purely as we want one of her pups) and will not dock any tails, if anyone mentions docking then they aint having a pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't buy from someone who docks any of their pups, but that's just me :p

Aside from docking I would be asking any person you would think of potentially buying from what they do with their white puppies.

Would you be prepared to travel to the UK? Have you had a look on-line to see if there are any UK based Boxer specific forums? UK breed forums are generally inhabited by a few Irish too.

TBH you could well be looking for a few years never mind a few months. :D

I'd start here:
    http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/acbr/Default.aspx?breed=Boxer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Aside from docking I would be asking any person you would think of potentially buying from what they do with their white puppies.

I've heard about this, that they sometimes destroy them!!

When Brodi has her litter my wife has said if there's a white she wants to keep it as she loves them, i want to keep a brindle though, what's the odds we keep 2 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

scudzilla wrote: »
    I've heard about this, that they sometimes destroy them!!

It happens far more frequently than 'sometimes' unfortunately. Most breeders don't want anyone to know that a white boxer came from their kennels so cull them at birth, or offer them to rescues at a couple of days old before anyone ever sees them, but their name isn't to be linked to the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I have to disagree regarding the white boxers. I know lots of boxer breeders and they have no problem homing/selling the white ones as they are actually very popular with people so there is no need to cull them at all.

I know lots of people who have bought and homed white boxers. They are trying to campaign to get them recognised with the Kennel Club so they can be shown,

Breeders i know say that most of the time the white ones are really good quality so its a shame they cant be shown or bred from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Delighted to hear there are decent breeders out there. There were far too many white boxers 'disappearing'. It'd be fabulous to see white boxers fully accepted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

scudzilla wrote: »
    Nice that you're looking for a Boxer wit a tail, our's has one and it's ace :D

We were lucky and found a private dealer (No puppy fam, just a boxer lover) who had a litter of all undocked pups.

We'll hopefully be breeding Brodi later this year/early next year (purely as we want one of her pups) and will not dock any tails, if anyone mentions docking then they aint having a pup.

Fair play. Yeah, personally I much prefer seeing dogs undocked :)
    Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't buy from someone who docks any of their pups, but that's just me :p

I would if I could but it doesn't look like it's going to be an option!

Would you be prepared to travel to the UK? Have you had a look on-line to see if there are any UK based Boxer specific forums? UK breed forums are generally inhabited by a few Irish too.

I would be prepared to travel to the UK, for the right price. Budget is fairly open but from looking online, even non-reg, non vac'd boxer pups are going for £500-£750 which seems ludicrous, particularly when you add in the travel costs.
    TBH you could well be looking for a few years never mind a few months. :D

Hopefully not :(

If it's a legit, registered breeder that comes with papers, health checks, etc. would I be taking much of a risk in asking them while the bítch is in pup for a male, undocked, and paying before I get it?

I know some breeders wouldn't take the risk of a sale falling through and them being left with an "unsalable" pup, but if offered the full/half amount upfront then surely they would go for it?
    Cheers
    andreac wrote: »
    I know lots of boxer breeders

Any willing to not dock a pup for someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im not sure tbh, so you would probably be best to contact the Boxer Club of Ireland and talk to them and see what they say.
    Try Bessbox Boxers, they are based in Newry and they might be willing to help you out.
    A breeder that normally docks might be willing to leave a pup undocked if they were being paid upfront for that pup so that might be an option but i honestly cant say what way they would work it.
    After April this year breeders up north arent allowed to dock afaik so that could be an option for you instead of having to travel across the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If it's a legit, registered breeder that comes with papers, health checks, etc. would I be taking much of a risk in asking them while the bítch is in pup for a male, undocked, and paying before I get it?

I know some breeders wouldn't take the risk of a sale falling through and them being left with an "unsalable" pup, but if offered the full/half amount upfront then surely they would go for it?

I was on a waiting list months before the dogs were mated (not boxers), gave a deposit when the pups were born and long story short - it fell through when the pup was 7 weeks old as all concerned (but instigated by me) agreed the pup was not the best match for us. However my deposit was returned in full. I'm not sure what the situation would be with a pup that would be otherwise docked though. I'm sure there must be other people looking for undocked boxers so I'd discuss this well in advance and make an arrangement that everyone is happy with should things not go to plan. I can't see why someone wouldn't be willing to refund due to extenuating circumstances (ie. not just a change of mind, on a whim etc.) as long as another owner can be found for the pup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

andreac wrote: »
    Im not sure tbh, so you would probably be best to contact the Boxer Club of Ireland and talk to them and see what they say.
    Try Bessbox Boxers, they are based in Newry and they might be willing to help you out.
    A breeder that normally docks might be willing to leave a pup undocked if they were being paid upfront for that pup so that might be an option but i honestly cant say what way they would work it.
    After April this year breeders up north arent allowed to dock afaik so that could be an option for you instead of having to travel across the water.

Thanks for the information, Andrea.
    I was on a waiting list months before the dogs were mated (not boxers), gave a deposit when the pups were born and long story short - it fell through when the pup was 7 weeks old as all concerned (but instigated by me) agreed the pup was not the best match for us. However my deposit was returned in full. I'm not sure what the situation would be with a pup that would be otherwise docked though. I'm sure there must be other people looking for undocked boxers so I'd discuss this well in advance and make an arrangement that everyone is happy with should things not go to plan. I can't see why someone wouldn't be willing to refund due to extenuating circumstances (ie. not just a change of mind, on a whim etc.) as long as another owner can be found for the pup.

Yeah that's fair enough. I think the fact that docking appears to be the "norm", whether a good thing or not, adds the complication to this. I'll drop the boxer club of Ireland an email and see what they say.

Cheers guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

I think that it is fantastic that you are on the hunt for an undocked Boxer. I got my boxer, Bella, two years ago and she did not have her tail docked. I would not have her any other way. I live in Wexford and in two years, I have not seen another Boxer with a tail. This annoy me but sadly docking is still the norm.

Bella gets so many compliments from people due to the tail. I bought her from a lady in Rosslare who was a genuine dog lover and she had seven pups and all with tails. I guess it is a case of searching until you find one!

Hope it works out for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Thankfully culling white boxers has nearly if not died out.I have one and he is fab :)I brought him to the IKC show Paddys day and the amount of attention he got was mental:)people were stopping to take his photo:)Irish Indo took his pic aswell:).The chairman of the boxer society is up north who keeps their tails :)

Advertisement