Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying new gear

• 15-03-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

I decided to get myself some new gear.
    Going to hopefully using my sv a lot this year and my old gear is pretty wrecked.

Im in the market for boots, top, bottoms and a helmet.

Im heading up to cotters tomorrow to see what they have since im told their website really doesnt show his full stock.

The akito textiles i currently have are really lightly armored. You guys any suggestions about good makes of textile gear that still offers good protection?

As for a helmet im looking for either a flip or solid. Im just looking for something with an internal sun visor and also that pinlock/anti-fog thing i keep hearing about :o

Any recommendations on a helmet that has both of those features? Preferably under 300!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

goodlad wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I decided to get myself some new gear.
    Going to hopefully using my sv a lot this year and my old gear is pretty wrecked.

Im in the market for boots, top, bottoms and a helmet.

Im heading up to cotters tomorrow to see what they have since im told their website really doesnt show his full stock.

The akito textiles i currently have are really lightly armored. You guys any suggestions about good makes of textile gear that still offers good protection?

As for a helmet im looking for either a flip or solid. Im just looking for something with an internal sun visor and also that pinlock/anti-fog thing i keep hearing about :o

Any recommendations on a helmet that has both of those features? Preferably under 300!

OK, first - helmet....Shark do a helmet called the S900 which had a slide-down visor and they tend to not fog up much (I have two Sharks and they have never fogged up) I believe Shoei do a new helmet with a flip down visor too. There's also the HJC IS-16. This also has a slide-down sun visor, and although prone to fogging up, they DO have the pins on the visor for a pinlock, which Sharks don't. The Shark and HJC will definitely be within your budget, but I don't know how much the Shoei is.

Re: textile gear, the best (or near enough) is Alpinestars, but it'll cost ya! RST Pro Series are pretty decent, have a look at the link for an idea: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/327

Cotters are good for deals, but don't forget about the two shops up north where you'll get your stuff for a lot less.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Cheers for that dude :D

Just got off the phone with a bikeshop who have some stock left to clear out before they close down. Gonna drop into them tomorrow and see what they have. Might be able to pickup a bargain there sure!

The HJC helmet you mentioned looks good for the price its at and having the pins is a bonus.

I had debated getting two piece leathers but the prospect of melting in them while off the bike bothers me, lol.. Will more than likely go with some good quality textiles.

Cheers for that dude :D

Just got off the phone with a bikeshop who have some stock left to clear out before they close down. Gonna drop into them tomorrow and see what they have. Might be able to pickup a bargain there sure!

The HJC helmet you mentioned looks good for the price its at and having the pins is a bonus.

I had debated getting two piece leathers but the prospect of melting in them while off the bike bothers me, lol.. Will more than likely go with some good quality textiles.

No worries.

Believe me, you'll melt more in textiles than leathers in the summer time. My textiles were hung up last week. Had leathers today buzzing around and it was just nice. But, if you're happy enough with textiles, go for it.

btw! What is the second shop up north?

I know about the visor shop. Whats the other one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Hein gericke I assume. The visor shop is also more commonly known as Crossans.

• Advertisement

650Ginge wrote: »
    Hein gericke I assume. The visor shop is also more commonly known as Crossans.

That's it. Hein Gericke. They do RST, AGV and their own brand which is quite decent too.

great stuff thanks! I will defo check them out for top and bottoms.

I did buy a new helmet and boots today.
    A ended up getting a Duchinni D619 and TCX Competizions S boots for €200 all in :-D

great stuff thanks! I will defo check them out for top and bottoms.

I did buy a new helmet and boots today.
    A ended up getting a Duchinni D619 and TCX Competizions S boots for €200 all in :-D

Good lad, I mean good man, Good Lad. (LOL) Have a pair of them TCX boots myself, they're savage! Good choice. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I have a Duchinni D409 and I love it. Yours is supposed to be better. I tried them boots on too. Very comfortable but they were out of my budget at the time.

Did you get the boots in Cotters?

I have a Duchinni D409 and I love it. Yours is supposed to be better. I tried them boots on too. Very comfortable but they were out of my budget at the time.

Did you get the boots in Cotters?

I got them in Naas Superbikes. He is liquidating most stock but has practically nothing left. I do find the boots comfortable but they are pretty damn tight whn i close the zip.Im really hoping they break in and loosen up a bit.

From what i seen he had about 8 helmets and 5 or 6 pairs of boots left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I seen a video on the boots which said that there is supposed to be a little slit making them easier to zip up because they are a tight fitting boot. Like anything though, they loosen up. My Sidi boots are all leather and loosened up. I can fit socks+football socks on now. Previously it was just socks.

Advertisement