Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Makeup to Steer Clear Of

Options
  • 15-03-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

We have the thread on essentials in the make up bag, what make up have you tried once & pitched immediately because it was horrid?

I ask b/c I have an important night coming up but never wear make up normally. I don't want to spend any sort of money on a make up kit and just want to get some basic essentials while avoiding the bombshells. And with all the marketing out there it's impossible to know what's good & what to avoid like the plague.

I got some Revlon gel lipstick today that was disgusting - it made my lips stick together, it was gunky, it smelled bad...ugh, don't even want to give it another try. Are there other brands/specific products I should steer clear of?

And FYI: I'm not talking bronzer/fake tan/fake eyelashes or any sort of fancy stuff (I don't even know what half the stuff is!), just basic foundation/powder/eye liner & shadow/ lipstick. Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Oh without a doubt, some kind of gorgeous foundation faker benefit, it smelt revolting, I couldnt even stomach putting it on.
    It was rank

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

+1 on Some Kinda Gorgeous, dried my skin out, awful colour and it ran out so fast.

Rimmel Glam Eyes liquid eye liner stung the ****e out of my eye lids!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I went through my makeup bag there a few days ago and there were things that I haven't really picked up to use in ages and don't think I ever will!

This maybelline expert wear blush is rubbish. You have to rub it really hard to get anything off it and it smells like old lady makeup. Completely invisible on the skin. Maybe they've repackaged it since I bought it but I still wouldn't go near it.

maybelline.jpg

This loreal true match blush was a little better but still not great colour payoff so I never use it and wouldn't recommend it. There are other better cheaper blushes that just do a better job all round.

loreal-true-blush.jpg

Also maybelline superstay 24 hour dual ended lip colour - wasn't a big fan. Used a few times and then threw it out. Really gloopy and didn't last well at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Lancôme Juicy Tubes, any time I've used them my lips are nearly glued together, plus these tubes are expensive.

http://www.lancome.co.uk/_en/_gb/makeup/lips/gloss/juicy-tubes-115012.aspx

NYC/New York colour lip gloss - it smells like candle wax and they are very sticky.

http://www.newyorkcolor.com/products/lips/lipgloss/liquid-lipshine

Sally Hansen Miracle Nail Thickener - utterly useless.

http://sallyhansen.com/products/nails/nail-care/miracle-nail-thickener

Vichy Soin Hydratant Anti-Imperfections Moisturiser - flakes after applying, so if you apply it before make up, you'll have blotchy make up which flakes.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Tx4veC43AWk/TiSlCOsGhnI/AAAAAAAAASI/1FYPm3M-WjU/s1600/Vichy%2BSoin%2BHydratant%2BAnti-Imperfections%2BMoisturiser%2B1.jpg

Gosh Velvet Touch Foundation Primer - I used to love this, recommended it to everyone, and then my mother bought me a bottle of it a few months ago and it had changed. It was flaky, wasn't the velvety primer I was used to. It costs around €20 euros and isn't worth even half of that, the Smashbox primer is twice the price and far better.

Carmex Classic Moisturising Lip Balm - Feels really, really greasy on my lips.

http://www.superdrug.com/body/carmex-classic-moisturising-lip-balm-10g/invt/725507/

Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish compact foundation - heavy, cakey, shiny, greasy.

http://shop.elizabetharden.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2559169&cp=11864818&parentPage=family

Anti-Blemish Solutions Clearing Concealer - just 'sat' on the skin, like a white spot, regardless of whether it was applied before or after my foundation, for €20 euros, it's pretty expensive.

http://www.clinique.co.uk/product/1596/6045/Makeup/Concealers/Anti-Blemish-Solutions-Clearing-Concealer/All-Skin-Types-with-Blemishes/index.tmpl

Clinique Airbrush Concealer - it's ok, but I wouldn't repurchase this tbh. It doesn't conceal anything really, for me anyway. Don't know how much it is to buy cos I got mine free in a 'free gift'.

http://www.clinique.co.uk/product/1596/5011/Makeup/Concealers/Airbrush-Concealer/All-Skin-Types/index.tmpl

Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Milk - decent product, but it really stung my skin, my skin was always red and sore after using it. I remember I got it in my eyes a few times, owies!!

http://www.clinique.co.uk/product/1673/6187/Skin-Care/CleansersMakeup-Removers/Take-The-Day-Off-Cleansing-Milk/index.tmpl

Bourjois 3D Effect Lip gloss - exactly like Juicy tubes, only cheaper.
    Clarins beauty flash balm, did nothing for me.
    Clinique high impact mascara, horrible stuff.

That's all I can think of for now, if I think of more I'll post them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Rimmel 123 Mascara! Absolutely useless! there is no difference between the numbers and it leaves your lashes clumpy!

f_933554.jpg

this Rimmel foundation is a waste of makeup! never get it! it didnt last long for me and it got a rash form using it but i think im allergic to something in Rimmel products!

rimmel-recover-foundation-30ml--sand-300-.jpg

any dream matte mouse product from maybelienne
    in my exerience they were terrible the foundation was messy ad dried out quickly
    the blusher made me look really cheap and tacky!
    3cf2b939_Dream-Mousse-Blush-Maybelline_38.jpg

id stay away from eye shadow in cream format! i have had bad experiences with them
    i used the Shiseido one and it was very sticky and did not feel nice at all
    shiseido_creameyeshadow001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

I'm with the lovely muffin on juicy tubes, gotta be the most over-rated product ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

Agree about the Juicy Tubes and the Benefit foundation faker stuff.

I have to say I love those maybelline mousse blushes! Like Love them with capital L! They don't seem to have them anymore though - they've replaced them with a cream blush (which I'm also a fan of).

With cream shadows, I think it's like any product - you have to find the brand that suits you. Some of them are better than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

I don't care what anyone says, that Dream Matte mousse foundation should be avoided at all costs. Having said that, the blusher is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

agree with maybelline long last lipsticks and juicy tubes.

chanel and Lancome mascara did nothing for me, just looked like a lash tint, no curl, or volume.

chanel nail polish, hideous and so expensive. Chips so fast.

estee lauder advanced night repair serum....did nothing

Clinique dramatically different moisturizer, differently bad, was complete crap.

Ysl foundation broke me out

• Advertisement

I don't care what anyone says, that Dream Matte mousse foundation should be avoided at all costs. Having said that, the blusher is decent.

I find it pretty decent, much better than other lower end brands I've tried. I think the problem with reviewing or discussing make-up, especially foundation, is that it's so personal. One person's dream product can be awful for someone else because how the product works depends on your skin type, colour and texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Giorgio Armani Lsf foundation, any time I ever wore this I would get terrible spots on my chin and nothing ever gives me spots, read a few reviews that said the same although it's loved by many.

Mac mascaras ......what the hell is the smell all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

Elf lip gloss ewwww so sticky I couldn't get it off me fast enough
    also Elf nail varnish I found was rubbish

I find it pretty decent, much better than other lower end brands I've tried. I think the problem with reviewing or discussing make-up, especially foundation, is that it's so personal. One person's dream product can be awful for someone else because how the product works depends on your skin type, colour and texture.

Totally true. With blush or eyeshadow it annoys me if I don't get good colour payoff but then I know people who prefer the softer look of something with little pigmentation. I think it's important to read as many reviews as possible to get a balanced opinion. With some things it doesn't matter if you spend a few quid and it doesn't work out but with things like foundation or concealer it can be a case of spending up to 20 in pharmacies which is a bit of a waste if it doesn't work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I like the blusher, in emergencies, but the foundation mouse is crap as are they eye shadows.

Another i find useless are revlon eye shadows, it doesnt have great pigment.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

This 17 liquid eyeliner gave me a weird rash around my eyes. :eek:

10088286?wid=280&hei=343&op_sharpen=1

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Basically anything made by Rimmel or Maybelline.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

Great thread.

Items I avoid:

Revlon colorstay foundation, it got rave reviews online but I found it smells like paint and is very hard to blend as it sets very quickly. I managed to use it up but wouldn't ever repurchase.

L'oreal True Match foundation - very watery.

Maybelline concealers - they are all sort of orangey so useless for my very pale skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

Basically anything made by Rimmel or Maybelline.

Have to say im a big fan of Rimmel, but, Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation or whatever its called is absolute MUCK!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Another thing that I disliked is this Clarins Instant Eye Make-Up Remover, didn't remove anything for me. The most useless thing ever.

Lancôme Bi-Facial and Clinique's Take The Day Off Makeup Remover For Lids, Lashes & Lips are much better, Lancôme Bi-Facial is my fave though.

0020010originaloriginal.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-SBwup3gfwBk/Tv4WW6HQb1I/AAAAAAAAB6o/DeHD6-lD7jw/100_97205.jpg
    Maybelline mousse spray foundation. very yellow and dries so quickly. Didn't buy it thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

M.A.C mascaras.. really not worth the money
    boots 17 primer.. useless!
    Elizabeth Arden compact fondation.. way too cakey and smells gross!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There are a few I'd avoid myself. The Maybelline mousse eye shadow and mouse blusher and rimmel mousse foundation (makes my skin all cakey and stinks).
    There are some maybelline mascara's to avoid too as they get very clumpy.
    Any make up that has cream blusher format I find they make my cheeks go blotchy and red.

Powered make up and liquid foundation suits me best as I have oily-combination skin. I like the powered eye shadow and blusher by rimmel and maybelline and the lipsticks/lipgloss by maybelline and rimmel aren't too bad. I like bourjois too I like the eye shadow and blusher the most by bourjois but not keen on the mascara, find that max factor is better with the mascara. Most up market make up I go for be Max Factor, Elizabeth Arden and Lancome. Elizabeth Arden and Lancome the best for foundation for me as Max Factor don't do the seamless foundation any more the way they use to do it its gone all moussey which I don't like prefer it more liquidy.

No7 is ok prefer the eye shadow stuff for that and like Revlon for lipgloss.
    Gosh if that's its called is ok. Koal and Rimmel not great I find for eyeliner. Missy Sport, Max Factor or essential the best for eyeliner I find. Essential be the cheapest brand I go for make up sometimes. Get 17 the odd time not made on the mascara though with 17, eye shadow is ok.

There is one brand I am not keen on and that's O'loreal, the lipgloss is the only thing I like from them. Clinque is only ok.

I'm really loving the Benefit and Two-faced make-up though don't like all of them. I love the Benefit primer and concealer, make up be long lasting and can put on without any foundation or with foundation, great to put on if you don't want to put on make up, it almost look like you've neither make up on or not depends, max factor good for concealer for fair skin. I like the two-faced blusher.

Not sure about MAC never used it. Not a mad fan of the big names like Chanel and Dior.

Prefer Simple for cleansers, toners, moisturisers and wipes. May use the nivea the odd time too but prefer the simple as its not scented and cleans and refreshes my skin well just as good as boots cleansing products do the trick too not too harsh on the skin. Clarins is ok depends on the products not mad on the ones that has strong scents but otherwise not bad for moisturising.
    Find lancome out of the top brands be ideal for me though dries out the skin a bit too much. Love the facial moisturisers as they have ones suited to my skin type otherwise find the toners and cleansers dry my skin out too much. I don't mind a bit of a shine but don't like too much of a shine on my face.

Once its clean, not too dry/patchy and not much spots/blemishes I am not too bad though skin has cleared immensely over the past few years!

To be fair I think any brand has it's ups and downs. I'd find it hard to generalise so much about various brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sallyr

maybelline great lash mascara - absolute rubbish and waste of money.
    Elizabeth Arden - Sponge on cream make up - very oily and orangey looking :(
    Dream matte mousse - doesnt give good coverage and doesnt last verylong; constantly topping up the make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deenameh

I recently bought some moisturiser and mascara from the Anneco range which claims to be natural, ethical and kind to your skin.

The Dry Skin Moisturiser actually made my skin feel tighter and drier! And the natural vegan mascara had barely any mascara in the tube. What I managed to get onto the brush was dry, sticky and gloopy - not something I wanted to put on my eyes.

At €16.95 for the moisturiser and €11.50 for the mascara it really was just a waste of money.

Do not recommend Anneco beauty products to anyone!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Deenameh, please don't resurrect 4 year old threads, thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement