Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No red arrows at volvo race.

Options
  • 15-03-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why there will be no red arrows during the volvo race time in Galway? mentioned it today in the advertiser but I dunno if they are just trying to say it was a false rumor or if it was the GAAW getting their way again as they seem to object to everything that enters galway's airspace except aer arann.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

yer man! wrote: »
    Anyone know why there will be no red arrows during the volvo race time in Galway? mentioned it today in the advertiser but I dunno if they are just trying to say it was a false rumor or if it was the GAAW getting their way again as they seem to object to everything that enters galway's airspace except aer arann.
    Fairly sure they got rid of Aer Arann too.:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Being charitable, I'll give two possible reasons:

1. Money

2. They're off in their militarised death machines, bombing innocents in some country I can't point to on a map; probably in support of Joey Kony, the murderous swine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.galwaynews.ie/24740-red-arrows-air-show-volvo-week-shot-down
    “There was a proposal that we would have the Red Arrows in Galway during the Volvo finale; that proposal was never finalised. There will be no air show as part of the Volvo Race this year.

It is understood the show will not go ahead because of ‘operational reasons’ – the RAF is understood to be reducing the number of performances it puts on this year because of a shortage in pilots that are trained to do the displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

no, I think it's only the war planes they are against, and who could blame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

... because of a shortage in pilots that are trained to do the displays.

2 pilots died in accidents recently - one (I think) in a landing incident after a show, the other was ejected from the cockpit when on the ground at the base.

Another, the only female in the team, was grounded a week or so ago. No definite reason was stated at the time, but it was "linked to the recent incidents involving the other pilots". Not sure if that was expanded on afterwards.

Of course, there's the money aspect too...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Damn I was hoping they'd display again. I missed them the last time.

I'd love to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

I'd say it's a money thing, people might be surprised but the Ocean Race budget is already stretched tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

More people die every year around the world from stabbings than war plane bombings, does this mean we shouldn't use knives....? Awful dangerous altogether..... very pointy....and sharp.....

More people die every year around the world from stabbings than war plane bombings, does this mean we shouldn't use knives....? Awful dangerous altogether..... very pointy....and sharp.....

Yep, completely correct and insightful analogy, we definitely should never use knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

If you do a cost/benefit analysis or similar of both knives and air-shows, you might realise how ridiculous that comparison is.

• Advertisement

Perhaps some "planes for knives" initiative would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Ah rough, what's the point of the volvo yacht race without the airshow. Could someone give the usaf thunderbirds a shout?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Red Arrows and their amazing displays, enteraining people to death.....:pac:
    I'm sure the Galway Alliance Against Selective Wars will be happy:rolleyes:
    I was looking forward to seeing them, :mad:
    Let's hope they have something else equally as fantastic in the pipeline.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

As was already said it's down to operational reasons after unfortunate recent events. Pity really.

It would be nice one day if we could mention the Red Arrows without also mentioning those GAAW cranks. They never had any input or any influence as to whether or not any event took place. But of course the local so called 'media' publish their press releases verbatim. Actually his press release because it seems to be mostly a one man band with a few acolytes.

He should be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,154 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a big shame. Can you imagine what sort of turnouts we would have for the Salthill airshow these days thanks to the new Motorway?

galwayrush wrote: »
    Red Arrows and their amazing displays, enteraining people to death.....:pac:
    I'm sure the Galway Alliance Against Selective Wars will be happy:rolleyes:
    I was looking forward to seeing them, :mad:
    Let's hope they have something else equally as fantastic in the pipeline.:)

ya, they have replaced them with a new game - it's called "guess who the helicopter door will land on". Remember - it could be YOU! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

cytop wrote: »
    Another, the only female in the team, was grounded a week or so ago. QUOTE]

In actual fact, that female pilot wasn't ground but resigned from the team. Also the fact that the biggest military air show in the world, the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) is on that week end and the reds are confirmed to attend there, might have something to do with them not being able to attend the VOR.

ya, they have replaced them with a new game - it's called "guess who the helicopter door will land on". Remember - it could be YOU! :D:D:D

Shame some people see it fit to make fun of someone getting hurt in an accident !!:mad: Maybe they could make up a fun game about people getting hurt in road accidents while they're at it!!!.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Shame some people see it fit to make fun of someone getting hurt in an accident !!:mad: Maybe they could make up a fun game about people getting hurt in road accidents while they're at it!!!.

if you apply your post to the red arrows, you can't but come to the conclusion why people don't want them around. ;)

if you apply your post to the red arrows, you can't but come to the conclusion why people don't want them around. ;)

1st, the Red Arrows don't make fun of people getting hurt in accidents, secondly wth 80-100 thousand coming out to watch the Red Arrows the last time they were here is evidence enough that it is only the few minority that don't want them around (and that's their privilege) and the vast majority that would have no problem with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

In the past, were the airshows funded by the likes of Failté Ireland or anyone? or was it the individual air forces funding it themselves? I'm assuming it takes a fair bit of cash to get those planes in the sky so what incentive was there for them to come here in the past....?

xflyer wrote: »
    It would be nice one day if we could mention the Red Arrows without also mentioning those GAAW
    It would be nice indeed but it seems to be impossible. Even when they aren't to blame people still try to get digs in.

VOR is so much more than 15 mins of aerobactics. Hope everyone will have a few great days anyway.

i suppose it ye really wanted to see them, ye could always go to one of the countries they go to to cause destruction, and cheer them on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

i suppose it ye really wanted to see them, ye could always go to one of the countries they go to to cause destruction, and cheer them on there.

When/ where did the Red Arrows cause destruction?:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

don't need to be mystic meg to know where this thread is heading....either red arrows are otherwise engaged or there aren't enough funds (which seems to be a likely reason) is why they are not coming for the vor. thread will degrade to pointless gaaw bashing and defending. close now please mods.

Ah ignore the trolls. Anyway it's a pity. It's not money. The Red Arrows don't ask for money. It's simply that they have other committments.

On the other hand it seems I'll be flying over and around Galway Bay for VOR week. Not quite the Reds though so don't get excited. Looking forward to it!

You seem confused. Presumably you mean the RAF and the British rather than the Red Arrows who fly trainers not bombers. Why just them anyway?

There's a long list of counties countries to add to your hate list. The USA, Holland, Germany, France, Norway, Italy, Belgium have all sent 'warplanes' to bomb innocent Taliban. Not to mention all the other countries who've sent soldiers, tanks and helicopters to slaughter women and children including the the Irish.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a troll.:rolleyes:

xflyer wrote: »
    Ah ignore the trolls. Anyway it's a pity. It's not money. The Red Arrows don't ask for money. It's simply that they have other committments.

Have they stopped doing more than one display a day? I distinctly remember on one of the occasions they performed in Galway they did another show the same day in France (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

galwayrush wrote: »
    When/ where did the Red Arrows cause destruction?:confused::rolleyes:

Remember the village that was between Salthill and Knocknacarra? Where's that eh?

• Advertisement

Predalien wrote: »
    Have they stopped doing more than one display a day? I distinctly remember on one of the occasions they performed in Galway they did another show the same day in France (I think).

I think that the time you are talking about they left for a show in France after displaying at Salthill but the show wasn't until the next day. Could be wrong and I stand to be corrected if so. They have, however, done two shows in the one day before on several occasions but Maybe the cut backs in funds are preventing this.

Advertisement